THE WARDENS FATHER

PHALANX

We were staying at Mara Serena, it was July a great time for Widow birds, on this occasion our need was a central location to make the most of what the Mara triangle could offer and to visit friends who lived in Kilgoris on the Siria plateau.

During our stay we met the senior warden of TransMara which includes Mara triangle. During our conversation we mentioned that we were going to visit friends in Kilgoris. At the mention of Kilgoris a big smile spread across his face and he said "I will come with you if I may, as I have no transport at this time to get home, and then you can meet my father who is 108 years old". His Father lived in his house on the slopes of the Oloololo escarpment.

We set off after breakfast amid a heavy mist which was clinging to the Oloololo escarpment. We were taking the road that follows the escarpment to the Oloololo gate and on our way there we saw a very large herd of Elephants off to the right, in the direction of the Balanite woods. They were a bit to far away to really appreciate them, especially with the mist, and there were no roads near to where they were. But, when your travelling companion is the senior warden, this problem was soon resolved. He took us quite close, and after assessing the situation even closer. In no time the whole herd was all around us feeding contently, then out of the mist appeared several youngsters who found our vehicle of great interest.

We made our way back to the road and the warden was looking very pleased with himself. we think he was pleased to have been able to give us something in return for us giving him a lift home. We arrived at the wardens house about eleven o-clock and getting out of the vehicle sensed we were being watched. The wardens children had never seen wazungu (white people) before. The warden called to his father and as we moved towards the house a very tall elderly Masai appeared in the doorway. He came out into the courtyard and we were introduced to him. He had a slight stoop at the shoulders, and was wearing glasses with rather thick lenses. Understandable if you are 108 years old. He smiled politely revealing that he still had some of his own teeth, and greeted us with a firm handshake and a loud Karibu(welcome). From the volume of the welcome we realised his hearing was one thing that his age had affected. We were invited into his home, and using the few words of maasai we had, we responded with "ashe oleng", thank you, and he smiled politely. We made ourselves comfortable and were offered a cold drink which was most welcome as it was now becoming very warm. The Children were watching all this from behind various pieces of furniture a little unsure as to what they should do never having had wazungu in their home before.

We were introduced to each one in turn, and as is the Maasai custom, each child came and stood before us bowing their heads in respect and we placed a hand upon them in acknowledgement. They then ran off and sat looking at us and giggling.

There was a new born in the family who was brought out to be introduced to us, and my wife could not get her hands on the baby quick enough. After initial bouts of crying she settled down staring at my wife with a mixture of uncertainty and fascination. The older of the children, a girl, came and sat near to me, all the time looking at the floor. Slowly she became more comfortable with the situation and moved a little closer and briefly touched my arm. I smiled at her and she laughed. She looked at my arm again so I proffered it and with the other children looking on with eyes & mouths wide open, she put her hand upon my arm and stroked it. This brought much laughter from the children and from the warden & his father.

The wardens father did not speak much, but his presence spoke volumes. He had an air of almost royalty about him and I found myself wondering what amazing things he had seen during his lifetime. As another Masai friend put it when his father did not have a lot to say "He does not have many stories". I thought that was a lovely way to put it. The wardens wife was a school teacher and was in class at this time, but he insisted that we meet her before continuing our journey to Kilgoris. We said our farewells to the father & the children and with a parting Ole seri(goodbye), we left with the memory of this tall elderly Maasai surrounded by his grand/great children hanging around his legs giggling and waving excitedly to their wazungu visitors.

We did not take photo's of this visit, we did not feel it would be the correct thing to do. But we did with our friends & their nieghbours in Kilgoris.

post-50530-0-26243300-1486905628_thumb.jpg

post-50530-0-50005100-1486905649_thumb.jpg

post-50530-0-52139200-1486905655_thumb.jpg

post-50530-0-48448300-1486905897_thumb.jpg

post-50530-0-60144100-1486905905_thumb.jpg