Kitsafari

The fog started to thicken and we thought we had best drive up to the researchers camp to see if Kadie was ready. Kadie was out with the Gels when we arrived, so we waited for a little while before she returned.

mHJd35HCT3TXbxMvuGpEKbqW5daZGp__sZAywNeY

JRvawdGBke3DxgyOtkbUrM8wgUavVexZDicJUn8a

H_mYIz0S3A34nqT8GJfFcV8b9A_c1RUyhqsFHydJ

y3JNPBNZfqIjM43AlwYJjTRSH4evUqjMxegF26_J

Then it was time to go back to the lodge where a sumptuous dinner buffet awaited us. It was just incredible that Addis managed to whip up four to five dishes to serve not just Sangeeta and I and Kadie, but everyone staying at the lodge. That is for a group of at least 12 persons. And the dishes, plus a delicious dessert, went down well with a bottle of wine.

Fed well, it was time for bed and packing as we were leaving early in the morning.

As I went to bed, I thought of the time we had in Guassa. Although it was a disappointment not to see the Ethiopian wolves, seeing the cryptic wolves was a major highlight. But I was more than contented with my time in Guassa. Our first objective was to see the Gelada monkeys, and to have been able to spend so much quality time mingling with them, soaking in the placid and calm ambiance, was just an amazing experience. I simply hope that the community will continue to preserve the reserve for another 500 years, and keep the home safe for the beautiful and endangered geladas.

wI5TIjGNstl4GTHpHQ_n-SnaPDa6AKEjrCuZjv4O

oS_bydux2XbH5qvhQZaJm-xwQGFI5bJqOPa6k60I

A productive trip - sounds and looks very good. Looks freezing though.....brrrrr.

I think the casual reader may still be confused as to whether you saw cryptic wolves or Golden Jackals or African Wolves or African Golden Wolves!! :blink: My understanding is that you saw them all. :D

@@pault all in one! just like those easy to prepare instant coffee - cream, sugar all in one packaging :)

• 2 weeks later...
SafariChick
It was just incredible that Addis managed to whip up four to five dishes to serve not just Sangeeta and I and Kadie, but everyone staying at the lodge. That is for a group of at least 12 persons. And the dishes, plus a delicious dessert, went down well with a bottle of wine.

@@Kitsafari wait, I may not be reading this right but I assume you paid for the food and brought it along with you since you brought Addis to cook it for you - so basically you treated everyone staying at the lodge to dinner? Including wine?! :o

@@SafariChick it occured to me that it did happened as you said, but there was so much food anyway, no point wasting it. so in effect, @@Sangeeta and I threw a big party for everyone! and including wine - i don't know how many bottles there were but I don't drink and Sangeeta wasn't drinking that much, so.....

and my multiple packs of instant noodles were well enjoyed by the kids of the driver and Addis.

In the end, it was heartwarming to see everyone happily tucking in, huddling close to the fire, well fed, well warmed and all went to bed, full and happy. :D

Edited by Kitsafari

@@Kitsafari

I have really enjoyed this. Gelada are wonderful, an amazing landscape - and wolves as well. I hope the community system continues to work.

@@TonyQ I do hope so too.

the geladas are such gentle docile creatures (well until they start to fight) and such an interesting group structure where the females hold the last say on who can their alpha male. They are so fascinating and unique among the primates.

Thank you very much to both of us for the contribution! I have been really interested to discover this trip report. It is a new destination that can be considered for geladas, much shorter than Simien or Bale.

@@jeremie our pleasure. @@Sangeeta and I chose Guassa because of the shorter distance to Addis Ababa and becuase it is less popular and such a lovely place to be promoted. I hope they improve the community lodge, as that will make the park more attractive to tourists.

Atravelynn

Beautiful! Cryptic wolves were a rare find for you. The grass feeding is a rather rhythmic process, now that you mention it. I was impressed that the wattle of the Wattled Ibis was visible through the fog. You had lots of quality time with the geladas, your #1 priority. Great scenic shots too. Thanks for the lovely report which will definitely promote this location. Now my travelmates and I will need to do our promotional duties too before too long.

Edited by Atravelynn

Kitsafari

@@Atravelynn get cracking on that TR. my neck has grown longer while waiting in anticipation of your joint promotional duties!