Destination Cape Town

Tulips

Towlersonsafari

Really enjoying your report @Tulips Cape Town is a splendid place to visit, and the Robben Island tour very moving. to try to understand how someone could micro-manage that kind of brutality to the extent of fixing the portions of meat depending on skin colour!  and we have photo's of that sign! As everyone has said, your photos are wonderful

4 hours ago, Elsa Hoffmann said:

I keep thinking your photos are some of the best travel photos of Cape Town I have seen in a long long time. What gear did you bring along if I may ask? 

Thanks @Elsa Hoffmann.  I'm really chuffed by your comment :D

I have a Panasonic G7 and the majority of these shots would have been taken with my 12-40 f2.8 lens.  I also took a 40-150 and a 100-300.

I also took a little Olympus Tg4 point and shoot.  It shoots in raw and does awesome macros.  

2 hours ago, Towlersonsafari said:

Really enjoying your report @Tulips Cape Town is a splendid place to visit, and the Robben Island tour very moving. to try to understand how someone could micro-manage that kind of brutality to the extent of fixing the portions of meat depending on skin colour!  and we have photo's of that sign! As everyone has said, your photos are wonderful

Thanks @Towlersonsafari

Pamshelton3932

Tulips-I have really been enjoying your report.  SA was never a destination very high on my radar, but after reading your TR, I'm thinking Cape Town would be a lovely place for a visit.

If you love wine, you cannot come to South Africa and not visit a winery.  So for my last day in Cape Town, I went to wine country.  The weather could not have been better.

The first stop was Drakenstein Prison.  Why go to a prison?  It was the last prison for Nelson Mandela and where he famously took the long walk to freedom in 1990.  It's a low security place and I found it odd that there was an ATM right at the gate.

Franschhoek is a beautiful and very scenic little town.  I'd love to spend a night here so I could avail myself of some of the many little cafes, restaurants and shops.  Of course, it's very photogenic also.

I went to two wineries and the first one, Antonij Rupert, had the best wine.  This was a wine tasting like no other I've ever experienced.  They give you a good portion of wine to taste, not just a teeny sip.  They also provide a lovely sampling of cheeses and olives and crackers in a beautiful presentation.  Also as a red wine drinker, there were 2 reds, a port and one white.  Love this winery.  There is a shop if you wish to purchase wine or other items.

The owner of the winery has an extensive car collection that he displays at the Franschhoek Motor Museum.  There is a cute little tram that transports you from the winery to the museum.

There are four buildings housing all the cars.  He has quite the collection.  I wasn't quite sure how I would like this museum as I'm not all that interested in cars, but it was highly recommended and I can say that I would highly recommend going.  I really enjoyed it.

The second winery was  Babylonstoren.  This place dates from 1692 and has some beautiful farmland and vineyards.  It's a great place to visit and they have some lovely food on offer.  However, I dint like the wines or the presentation of them as compared to Antonij Rupert.  They also do an olive oil sampling as well

So this completes my Cape Town adventures.  If you are doing a Southern Africa safari, Cape Town can easily be added at the beginning or end of your trip.  BA, for example, has a direct non stop flight from London.  

Photos:

1.  The long walk to freedom

2.  The ATM at Drakenstein prison

3. The Huguenot Monument, Franschhoek

4.  Dutch Reformed Church, Franschhoek

5.  Tram to the museum

6, 7. Scenic wine country

8. Franschhoek Motor Museum

9.  Mandela's car

10.  Who doesn't like a red car?

11.  Lovely salad at Babylonstoren

12.  First animal sighting - Franschhoek 

13.  Wines at Antonij Rupert

14.   Motor museum

15, 16.  At Babylonstoren

17.  Tasting presentation at Antonij Rupert

P1060751.jpg

P1060757.jpg

P1060758.jpg

P1060761.jpg

P1060807-Edit-Edit.jpg

P1060810.jpg

P1060814.jpg

P1060862.jpg

P1060864-Edit.jpg

P1060878-Edit.jpg

P1060895.jpg

P1060769-Edit.jpg

P1060788-Edit.jpg

P1060828.jpg

P1060891.jpg

P1060902-Edit.jpg

P1060785-Edit.jpg

Edited by Tulips

Peter Connan

Excellent photos, and some really nice places visited!

Ahhh, the Motor Museum! A bit surprised there are so many modern cars there, but hey, maybe you like them more then oldies -_-?!

28 minutes ago, xelas said:

Ahhh, the Motor Museum! A bit surprised there are so many modern cars there, but hey, maybe you like them more then oldies -_-?!

@xelasThere are quite a few oldies there.  I took lots of photos,   I just picked out a couple so as not to bore people.

Peter Connan

Actually, they have a lot more cars than those four halls can accomodate, and swop them out regularly. They also use them from time to time. I once photographed some of their cars taking part in a race meeting.

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic Cape Town photos.  Credit to your photo guide and to YOU.  Brilliant results.  Even the weather cooperated. Gorilla graffiti, what an art form.

Good hint on heading to Cable Mountain right away if conditions are right.

How long did you spend in Cape Town?

Edited by Atravelynn

Thanks @Atravelynn!  I spent 6 days in Cape Town.  A good amount of time and it allowed for a buffer in case of bad weather for the weather dependent sites.

19 hours ago, Tulips said:

Thanks @Atravelynn!  I spent 6 days in Cape Town.  A good amount of time and it allowed for a buffer in case of bad weather for the weather dependent sites.

Very wise!