The Kafue Experience

LarsS

So, it's now 2 weeks since I got home from my trip to Zambia. Together with my wife I visited Kafue National Park from 9-16 october. Actually the 2nd time I visited Kafue, first time in April 2013. First time we only stayed at Mukambi Safari Lodge, the main camp, and were there at the beginning of the dry season. This time we planned at the end of the dry season so we could also go to the Busanga Plains.

Our itinerary:
Day 1: Mukambi Safari Lodge

Day 2: Mukambi Safari Lodge -> Fig Tree camp

Day 3: Fig Tree camp
Day 4: Fig Tree camp -> Busanga Plains camp

Day 5: Busanga Plains camp

Day 6: Busanga Plains camp

Day 7: Busanga Plains camp -> Mukambi Safari Lodge

Day 8: Mukambi Safari Lodge -> Lusaka

All camps belong to Mukambi. We had a great time with them before, so decided to go with them again.

Also, I tried something else this trip. I recently got into making videos and decided to try and make some sort of vlog of my trip. I'm not a vlogger at all and never really put my self out there for the camera, but I thought it would be a good occassion to create a video so I decided to go for it.

I'm creating videos on a day-by-day schedule and haven't finished all of them yet, but the first two are online. Don't mind giving advice, but please be kind :) I hope you like it and think it reflects a safari experience.

I will update this TR when I finish a new video and complete it with other stories/pictures as well.

Day 1: Arrival at Mukambi Safari Lodge

Day 2: From Mukambi Safari Lodge to Fig Tree Camp

@Lars I'm so eager to read all of your report because I'll be going to Kafue next year and staying at Busanga Plains Camp for 4 nights,as well as Musekese Camp for a whole week. I have only read great things about Busnaga Plains Camp. Furthermore, I know that the wildlife viewing continue to improve at Kafue. 

15 minutes ago, mapumbo said:

Well done.  Nice job of editing.

Thanks a lot!

7 minutes ago, mapumbo said:

What kind of camera are you using?

Thanks

For these first 2 I used a Canon EOS700D with 10-18 or 18-55mm and a Rode microphone.

@optig Then I will do my best to give you the best report I can. Hopefully one of my last videos will be a treat of the Busanga Plains. Not sure yet, as I haven't seen the footage yet.

Btw, doubted very much about Musekese. But this package deal was decisive for us. Tyrone, one of the camp managers, gave us a ride to Lusaka on the way back. Very nice man and have been following him since then on facebook. Nice guy and great camp from what I can tell.

offshorebirder

Thanks for this trip report @LarsS.   Your videos are well done, with good editing and soundtrack.

@LarsS These are great fun- different than the usual trip report and I love the sounds. I miss those sounds. Looking forward to more.

So far (episode 1) I'm LOVING it!  I'd say perhaps have your wife help you sometimes (closing the door to the tent was a little dizzying) but can't wait to see what comes up next! I really like this format; it feels like I'm right there with you! 

Edit... episode 2... wish I was there! Lion tracks! Amazed you could get that great video under low light.  Really like the music too.

Edited by AmyT

@LarsS..enjoying your trip report very much.  The video tours are a nice addition.!

Really fun videos, nicely done, feels a bit like joining you on safari!

Thanks @offshorebirder @lmonmm @AmyT @marg and @michael-ibk for the nice words! It helps keeping my dedication to create these videos :) Currently uploading #3, hope you like that one as well.

The videos take quite a lot of time, so you'll have to wait a bit longer for photos and other stuff I'm going to share in my TR @optig I'll make sure it's before your departure ;) 

On 4-11-2017 at 0:42 AM, AmyT said:

I'd say perhaps have your wife help you sometimes (closing the door to the tent was a little dizzying)

Yeah, I can see it's a bit too dizzying. I film everything from hand, also to give it the feeling you're just there and I think it fits the video. In this case I succeeded a bit too much in that ;) 

So here it is: video #3. One real star in this video, or actually five: 5 lion cubs! All cubs are of the same mother, which is very unusual. Luckily the lioness has a sister helping her out taking care of them.

Fig Tree Camp looks really nice. That hammock would be perfect for me!  Were there many other guests there?  Perhaps it's just your thoughtful editing, but it luxuriously feels like you had the whole camp to yourselves.

Hi @Alexander33 that hammock is indeed a great place to hang out and relax. When we stayed there, there were 3 Americans besides us, very friendly people. In total there are only 4 tents, so a maximum of 8 guests. Not many people to share it with, everybody was very relaxed, so it felt like you had the whole camp for yourselves. The fact it shows hardly any other people in the video, has also a lot to do with my inexperience in front of the camera. I didn't feel really comfortable to talk into the camera with other people around. I took most shots when I was alone.

@LarsS, what a fun trip report, really enjoying travelling along with you. Good job with the filming and editing.  Makes me wish I was back in Africa. Hmmm, I dunno about that Hammock out there, you're braver than I would be. 

Thanks for your kind words @elefromoz! You could also just lie down in the hammock and close your eyes ;)

A question: why are the tents elevated? Is it due to potential flooding or is there a benefit in having them raised?  

Nothing cuter than lion cubs playing with each other's tails!!  :)

10 minutes ago, AmyT said:

A question: why are the tents elevated? Is it due to potential flooding or is there a benefit in having them raised?  

Elephant proofing I would thought @AmyT but I am sure @LarsS will correct me if I am wrong. 

Enjoying the videos @LarsS well done :)

Edited by wilddog

15 hours ago, AmyT said:

Nothing cuter than lion cubs playing with each other's tails!!  :)

It is largely because of flooding.  Figtree is located on a pool that forms part of the Shishamba river which rises and falls quite seriously.   

Yes, it is of the flooding. During the wet season, they dismantle the camp and re-install it when they open again. They don't take the camp down completely and rebuilt it, as they do on the Busanga Plains (where we will be heading to in the next video).

Great report! Was the snared lion reported to GRI and/or ZCP?