Sighting of Rare White Baboon in Arusha National Park

Rockmann

On November 2nd, 2017 we had the great fortune to have a rare sighting of a male, White Baboon. Our encounter lasted about 15 minutes or so and as luck would have it, we were the only vehicle to witness this. Our guide had seen it a few years ago and he thought perhaps it was dead as he hadn't seen it in so long. Truly a magical moment for all of us in the vehicle to see this rare sighting. 

Youtube Video of encounter

Rare_White_Baboon.jpg

White_Baboon_1.jpg

White_Baboon_2.jpg

White_Baboon_3.jpg

White_Baboon_4.jpg

White_Baboon_5.jpg

White_Baboon.jpg

Edited by Rockmann
Added video link

Impresa I've looking beastie! :)

What an exciting sighting. And how good he is still around after the earlier sighting.  He seems to be integrated into the baboon troupe was that your understanding? Did your guide make any comment on this?

Very interesting images, the one attached was taken in Tarangire N.P. in July 2015, not as white as your individual from Arusha. The same troop was observed in July 2016, but the leucistic female was not seen. 

fullsizeoutput_1f66.jpeg

@wilddog he was certainly integrated based on his behavior that day. Our guide did not say anything about that, but we were so quiet while watching him, we didn't want to miss a thing. 

Edited by Rockmann
Spelling error

Very cool sighting! I saw a young Albino baboon in Arusha back in 2011, I wonder if it could be the same animal.

gallery_19319_813_49112.jpg

Edited by michael-ibk

So glad he is still around!  I saw him in 2013. Correction.  After looking more closely, I think you saw a different one.  My guide told me there was more than one albino baboon in ANP.  Must be a gene that is getting passed around. The one I saw looks like the one @michael-ibk saw.

gallery_108_855_125620.jpg