PC's fifth attempt

Peter Connan

Peter Connan

Time to gt this ball rolling.

To be honest, I haven't really decided what form this thread is going to take. Again, I don't expect to be competing for top honours on the count alone, and thus will once again be sacrificing numbers for quality. The goal in that regard is that all photos here will be at the very least clearly identifyable by anybody with a field guide covering the relevant area. But actually I hope that most photos will themselves be guide-quality (although not necessarily of adult males as the guides so often concentrate on).

But i want to add something extra. Firstly, as far as possible I want to show behaviour and interaction. I am also considering adding some additional information, and am to some extent open to suggestions about what form that should take, whether information about the birds themselves, or about how the photo was taken?

Anyway, enough waffling...

1) Lesser Masked Weaver

Kleingeelvink  Ploceus intermedius

(Male on top)

LesserMaskedODP.jpg.9ed95e0d5276ab84e163e02186c309c3.jpg

LesserMaskedODP-2.jpg.57290312fb8e5540519e4c74e4287e21.jpg

LesserMaskedODP-3.jpg.70ea4dc853f29dd2e09fc387a083c398.jpg

06h43, 1 January, Pilanesberg

Nikon D500 + 500mm f4, Manual mode, 1/3200, f4, EV-0.7 exposure compensation, auto-ISO (320 selected by camera).

Taken from Mankwe hide, with camera resting directly on the edge of the hide.

Well, you certainly started with some pretty juicy behaviour. ;)

I always enjoy getting a bit of background about the birds and also the way the photo could be taken, so that will be highly appreciated. Looking forward to your thread - a fifth time already!

I like the additional unnecessary info (male on top)! ?

@Peter Connan - anything you post will be appreciated but I’m certainly most interested in how you have taken the photo. They’re really something to aspire to 

Peter Connan

Thanks for all the comments.

Let's see how this develops.

@Peter Connanwhat an amazing start to your year, beautiful clear photos.

Posting photos that emphasise behaviour and interaction is a great idea for your 2018 thread.

Peter Connan

Thanks @Treepol. Let us see how much such behaviour I can capture...

@Peter Connan, whatever you do Im sure it will be enjoyed by all, what stunning photos of a beautiful pair. 

What an absolute joy to see your first contribution fo 2018. Tack sharp, beautifully exposed and showing some interesting ( though unfamiliar ;)) behaviour! Great start @Peter Connan !

Dave Williams

You are absolutely right Peter, the Big Year doesn't have to be about numbers and it's an interesting idea to concentrate on behaviour , I have always maintained I prefer to photograph a a common bird doing something interesting than a rare bird sat on a twig.

However, if you keep on posting X-rated shots you need to do so after the 9.00pm watershed.:rolleyes:

Dave Williams
1 minute ago, Peter Connan said:

Thank you very much @elefromoz, @PeterHG and (with apologies) @Dave Williams.

I said don't look Ethel but it was too late, she'd already gotten an eyeful !

Peter Connan

:D

:lol:

An eye watering start. Keep it up. Looking forward to more.

Peter Connan

Thanks @Galana

Pretty sure the standard will slip very soon!

2 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

Pretty sure the standard will slip very soon!

I doubt it.

I liked your idea of 'behavioural' photos.

Here is some encouragement that took place yesterday in front of my room. I thought of you!!

Not one but two.

DSCN1287.thumb.JPG.f9196c71eada649de1595b1c8e573192.JPG

Keep whistling.

:o

Peter Connan

Oh lovely, thank you!

Peter Connan

And as promised, here is that huge drop in quality:

2) Crested Francolin

Bospatrys Peliperdix sephaena

CrestedODP.thumb.jpg.f8eb2f9e7a5480b95d04935a47348360.jpg

CrestedODP-2.thumb.jpg.a401bd3591dd1be8309d68b8a6ab8593.jpg

CrestedODP-3.thumb.jpg.229cf91f4d8a0ced631977a7bb5c03eb.jpg

Note in the first photo the spur on the lower leg, proving that this is a male bird.

Like most of the family, these guys are far more audible than visible, their raucous calls filling the morning and evening air. I guess they have also caused more than a few heart attacks with their habit of staying well hidden till the last moment before exploding up from virtually under your feet, calling loudly as they escape.

These are two differnt sightings, the first two were taken from the car just around sunrise. Nikon D500 + 500mm f4, 1/640th, f4 and ISO1400 (Auto-ISO)

The third one was taken in the hide's car park when exiting the hide. Same equipment but 1/2500, f4 and ISO200

We are to receive some very educational lessons :rolleyes: ... As for the extra info, you can skip the body&lens data as we all know that D500 and 500 are now married for lofe :D.

@xelas, there may be the odd shot taken with D3+300mm or with D500+300mm lens instead of 500...

Yes, sure ... maybe an ostrich but I am willing to bet a chocolate that 500mm will stayed glued to D500 :wub:!!

3) Natal Francolin

Natalse Fisant Pternistes natalensis

NatalODP.jpg.9c47b9a293dc2e5038478909b3125af3.jpg

NatalODP-2.thumb.jpg.61ab4504ec8f46b0a386d8206a8baa8e.jpg

Very similar bird with very siilar behaviour.

From the photographer as well. 1/2000th at f4 for ISO1000, from the car window.

1 January, Pilanesberg

Edited by Peter Connan

Dave Williams

Great shots, I love this type of bird species but they are not always easy to photograph.