Culture and Wildlife Collide in Ethiopia

gatoratlarge

The last image in the previous post - it was raining so hard that the kids brought out blankets and moved from one side of the donga circle to the other like in a true Roman battle formation :D

Joel has written movingly about the Suri and their not so secure way of life, all of which is how I understood it too. But it will be a real loss to humanity if their artistry gets buried under sugar plantations. The area definitely needs medical facilities, but we did see several schools.

_DSC0309.JPG

_DSC0994.JPG

_DSC0441.JPG

_DSC0950.JPG

Last few Omo...

_DSC1010.JPG

_DSC0939.JPG

_DSC0784.JPG

_DSC0933.JPG

A few from the Gambella overflight - these are cropped & some are screen shots, so not ideal, but hopefully these will give you all an idea...

Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 07.11.45.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 07.12.06.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 07.12.16.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 07.12.24.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 07.12.32.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 07.11.29.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 07.11.13.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 07.11.01.png

_DSC1104.JPG

Edited by Sangeeta

And finally a short version of the GoPro footage. This was recorded by Dr. Latika Nath and all credit to her for making it happen... @Game Warden - Matt, we made this as a promotional video for Chalo Africa, so if you'd rather I did not post it here, please feel free to remove it or put it in another forum. I just thought it would be logical here as part of Joel's TR and a nice counterpart to his GoPro footage that he took from inside the plane.

We only saw the herds of white eared kob on this overflight. It would be lovely to go back properly and look for the Nile lechwe, shoebill and everything else this wonderful park has to offer.

gatoratlarge

I love the additions @Sangeeta !!  Helps round out the report---and I'll never forget flying low over the Gambella plains, herds of kob on the run, crocs rolling off the banks into the river...we did see several large birds in flight, but whether they were goliath herons or possibly shoebills we'll never know....

@Game Warden how many years have I been a member and didn't know to do that??? :D Thank you!

• 1 month later...

@gatoratlarge As you know you are bringing back the fondest memories. I can't wait to make another visit to Simien Mountain National Park,Lailabela, 

the Northern cathedrals and undoubtedly Harar.  As you know it's far more convenient for me. 

You are so lucky to live in Nairobi @optig !  I'm envious!  Just a hop and a skip from so many amazing places!