AFRICA ON FOOT MAY 2018

COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

my report continues  after a bit of a break 

on  the  morning hikes it is not necessary  to take  a whole lot of jackets  , I take only 1  as you warm up as you  walk

I take  a small backpack  to put it in when  I take it of

the  hikes are a wonderful way to connect to the  land 

COSMIC RHINO

the camp  is of grid , the laundry service  is do it yourself

I come with laundry soap and coat hangers  which  I put in a tree branch , things easily dry  with the sun and wind 

it was  a bit cooler on my first day  so  I put my shirt out for a few hours on day 2 to  get it fully dry

one of the guides reminds me to leave nothing out overnight as hyneas  may decide to eat it

well I check things  and bring them in as soon as they are dry

• 2 weeks later...
COSMIC RHINO

it was noticeably  cooler in the area than during my 2017 visit  which was almost  at the same  time

that being said  it was not that cool , on  the last  night  just to test  things  I slept  most of the night  on top of the bed just in a shirt  and  boxer  shorts 

I was not covered  by the  sheet  but still  felt  comfortable

COSMIC RHINO

seeing animals in fading light is wonderful 

on one drive  I had  an unfortunate  experience  , one  of my eyes  was starting to stream  a discharge  and I could  not see out of it properly 

was it dust ,sunscreen, who knows  but  not the best thing to happen 

well I tried  just water , which did not work

I even tried  some melted  cooler  box water, which did not work either , thinking perhaps  I need more water 

later the manager  advised  me  against this , the cooler  box  has  years  of residual  diluted  drinks beer, wine, soda ,G and T etc , best to avoid

the camp did  not have  eyedrops , so  I made  up some saline  solution  which  worked  quickly to  bring my eye back to usual  clear  condition  

after this  I kept  a small container  of saline  in my camera  bag , a pharmacist  has since advised me to change it daily

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

one of the other  guests  had a scratch on her hand which was not recovering  with the antiseptic  cream she was using 

on a walk  the guide got her to  suck on some sickle bush leaves  ,then rub it on the scratch , things started to improve

this is something you should not try  alone for yourself , you must get the right plant, get it wrong and you will get sick

then over breakfast  I offered her some 40% concentrated ecalayptus  oil on a cotton ball , things got much better

in Australia  it is promoted for topical treatment of scratches and abbrasions

COSMIC RHINO

AOF   is  a  consistently  great place to go to  

all low key, comfortable with a  great  bush  feel  and good  wildlife sightings