Critters and Caipirinhas in Brazil

Atdahl

Those are fantastic sightings, and photos! Now I have a dilemma: Borneo or Brazil?!

We had a very mixed bag weather-wise too. 

Botswanadreams

Looking forward to your Brazil adventure. We just arrived at home after 25 hour's on the way from our last destination in Brazil Iguazu. Thanks for posting your trip report.

The rain may have put a damper on things, but it certainly helped provide some even light and nice saturation for your photos. Those are just fantastic shots of the Ferruginous Pygmy Owl. What a background. I may not even post mine now!  And I’m jealous of that Yellow-faced Parrot. They really vexed me. 

The rain also brings out the anteaters! :)

YAY anteaters!!!! They are the best. MUCH more co-operative than those pesky tarsiers!! ;)

@xelas, thanks but if you just change one word, your dilemma is solved... "Borneo AND Brazil" :)

@kittykat23uk, you are right.  I think the cooler weather helped with some wildlife sightings.  So, it was good to have both cool and hot weather.  Of course the hot weather is good for Jaguars in the North so we are grateful we had that 2 years ago.

@Botswanadreams, you've been home a day already.  Where's the trip report? ;)

@Alexander33, yes the overcast skies helped with those FPO shots.  But, I have lots of other bird shots with gray skies that didn't get posted.  Everyone's photos are different so I look forward to seeing yours.  I got lucky with the Yellow-faced Parrots.  Usually, they stayed hidden in the trees eating but two came out for maybe a minute once the whole trip and I just happened to be in the right place.  The Toco Toucan was my nemesis bird this trip.  I didn't get any wide open shots of them from a reasonably close distance.  They just would not stay in one place long enough.

@monalisa.  I know!  I am still not sure the F@#$# Tarsier even exists!  We talk about that hike in Deramakot often.  Ah, good times....:)

Once again today the feathered alarm clocks went off before 5:30AM.  It's not the worst way to wake up in the world although Howler Monkeys or Gibbon alarm clocks are better in my opinion.  After another nice breakfast (with cake of course) we were ready for a 7:30AM game drive.

The weather was warmer than yesterday but Rita had blankets for the ladies and I wore an extra T-shirt.  There was a low mist in the morning but it cleared quickly so we had the sun to warm us up.

Baia das Pedras Pasture

Not long into the drive we saw something out in one of the fields by a small lake.  Once we stopped and got binoculars on it Stefan identified it as a Crab-eating Raccoon.  We saw one at night our last trip but Stefan says it's the first one he has ever seen in the day time.

Crab-eating Raccoon

It didn't pay any attention to us and just walked around in the shallow water using its hands to feel around for...well, I guess crabs.  We never did see it catch anything but after about 15 minutes we left it in peace.

The next sighting was of a Pampas Deer and fawn.  The fawn was super cute and still had lots of spots:

Pampas Deer with Fawn

Eventually, Mom gave it some unseen signal and the fawn wandered off into the bushes and sat down hiding while Mom continued to graze.

Pamas Deer Fawn Being Sent to the Trees

A bit later, Stefan spotted a Tinamou wandering in the grass which turned out to be a Red-winged Tinamou.  I have never seen a Tinamou so unafraid before.  Usually you just hear them or see a butt disappear into the jungle.  But, this one just walked around right in front of us.

Red-winged Tinamou

We also saw a small group of Collared Peccaries.  Even though we get these in our yard at home, they are always fun to see:

Collared Peccary

As we were passing by a lake, we spotted a South American Coati headed towards some ducks.  It wasn't actually trying to hunt them was it?

Coati Duck Hunting

Well, the ducks weren't sure either so they took off:

Yeah, THAT didn't work

South American Coati

This was already turning into an eventful game drive. But, we weren't done yet because the next thing we saw was this Six-banded Armadillo:

Six-banded Armadillo

It didn't quite know what to make of us but must have assumed we were Star Wars fans since it proceeded to do a great Yoda impression:

Inspiration for Yoda?

"Smelling humans I am...Yes"

On the game drive we also saw a Trogon (which I spotted while peeing.  Not sure why I shared that information, but it does point out you should always be looking), Gray Brocket Deer, some White-lipped Peccaries, and a few more Coati.  So, it was a great morning.

Since I don't tend to sit around on vacations I spent the time before and after lunch wandering around the grounds a bit.  In hindsight, I probably should have tucked my pants in my socks because I had quite a few ticks on me by the end of the day.

Anyway, the grounds were quite active since the temperatures were mild and the sun was out.

Here is a full shot of the Jabiru Nest and the tree on which it sits:

Jabiru Nest

Great Kiskadee (their calls were ever present at EVERY stop on the trip)

Great Kiskadee

Red-crested Cardinal:

Red-crested Cardinal

White Woodpeckers:

White Woodpecker Pair

White Woodpecker

The more I saw and heard the Blue-crowned Parakeets, the more I liked them.  Not only were they very social, they just talked all the time and it was closer to "cooing" than it was to "Squawking".

Blue-crowned Parakeets

The afternoon activity consisted of a boat trip on a nearby lake which started at 3:30PM.  It had warmed up quite a bit which made it a bit hot in the boats on the water.  We didn't see anything besides birds and our boatman wasn't that interested in getting close to shore.  So, we have some great shots of Bill, Peggy, and Stefan in their boat near shore, but not many other ones.

Neotropic Cormorant with an early dinner:

Cormorant with Lunch

Its buddies were quite jealous:

Neotropic Cormorants

I didn't know it yet, but I would grow to dislike these birds a bit later in the trip (Yup, that's foreshadowing folks).

The sunset at the end of the trip was the highlight though.  Unfortunately, I had my long lens with me and not a wide-angle so these shots are from my Sony point and shoot.  I think they came out pretty good.

Stefan, Bill, and Peggy coming to shore:

Paddlers at Dusk

Pantanal Sunset

Back at the lodge we enjoyed our nightly Caipirinhas and conversation.  Dinner was really good again and include some very tasty meatballs.  Since a few of us have the maturity of teenagers the theme of the conversation revolved around "balls".  Oddly enough, most of the other guests left after dinner while we continued talking. Go figure.

Since it was much warmer today, we booked the optional $R80 p/p night drive which went from 8:30 to about 10:00PM.  On the drive we saw another Crab-eating Raccoon, a Crab-eating Fox running in front of the truck, a Little Nightjar, a great look at a Scissor -tailed Nightjar flying, some Pampas Deer, and a Common Potoo.

Common Potoo

While it wasn't an incredible night drive, there is potential to see some rare mammals and birds at BdP so we had to give it a try.  The one thing to note is that the night drives are not private so you may end up sharing them with other people like we did.

Alan

Hmm I don't recall being offered night drives after dinner at BDP. Although the wine was good so maybe I just didn't care ... 

Today was our last full day at BdP and early on I was already feeling a bit sad since I really enjoyed our stay here.  But, we had 3 game drives ahead of us today so there was still lots to see.

The AM game drive was once again really good.

Turquoise-fronted Amazon Parrot:

Turquoise-fronted Amazon Parrot

Toco Toucan:

Toco Toucan

The Tapir team arrived late yesterday and baited the traps around the property. Stefan had arranged for them to call us if they captured any.  So, we hoped to hear from them this morning.  Their presence was obvious:

Everyone Should Brake for Tapirs

Unicolored Blackbirds:

Unicolored blackbirds

We spent about an hour of our drive at the lake where we took the boat trip yesterday.  The bird life was out in force there including multiple Sunbitterns:

Sunbittern

Great Egret with a gorgeous male Roseate Spoonbill in breeding plumage:

Great Egret and Roseate Spoonbill

Another Jabiru nest with both adults:

Nesting Jabiru Pair

Capybara:

Capybara

White-lipped Peccaries:

White-lipped Peccaries

At one point, we came upon this Southern-crested Caracara that had either killed an Egret or scavenged an already dead egret:

Southern Crested Caracara

Caracara with Egret Leg

We also had another Armadillo sighting.  We actually had a lot of Armadillo sightings at BdP but few pictures since once we saw them the best view I got was like this:

Typical Armadillo Sighting

Today was quickly going from warm to HOT.  This Pampas Deer was already cooling off in the shade:

Pampas Deer in the Shade

Either this American Kestrel roosts here a lot or it needs to see a doctor about its poop problem:

American Kestrel

Plumbeous Ibis:

Plumbeous Ibis

Just as we were climbing off the truck back at the lodge, some other guests were returning from their horseback ride (no sign of the ornery mule by the way) so I decided to take a few pictures and I liked this one the best:

Baia das Pedras Cowboy

Our afternoon drive started at 3:00PM today because we were making a detour to visit with the Tapir Team.  We hadn't gotten a call from them about any captures so we assumed that they didn't find any in the traps in the morning.

We spent about a 1/2 hour talking to Patricia Medici, the Tapir Team lead.  We asked lots of questions and she patiently answered them all.  We even held a surprisingly heavy collar that they use on the Tapirs to gather data.  She is the world's foremost authority on the Brazilian (Lowland) Tapir so getting a chance to meet her was fascinating.  I felt like I already knew her since I read The Tapir Scientist (available on Amazon) twice.

As it turns out, they did catch one Tapir in the traps in the morning.  They didn't call us because they ended up letting the Tapir go without recording any data.  They knew this Tapir. It had a really bad temperament so they named it Lucifer.  This Tapir was very unique because they had trapped it before as a baby but it was by itself.  The mother was also trapped but far away from it which means they weren't together.  Plus, it didn't have any spots as a baby and today as an adult still has its baby teeth.  I think there were other strange anomalies that I don't remember.  Suffice it to say that it is aptly named.

Patricia also filled us in on everything that Rita and Carlos do for their team and the Giant Armadillo team which is also based out of BdP.  Not only did Rita and Carlos build them a large lab for their research but they also furnish all team members with room and board.  All of this is free to the researchers.  So, while the researchers themselves should be applauded for doing work that no one else in the world is doing, it's Rita and Carlos that make sure that work continues.

So, if you were on the fence about going to BdP, I urge you to go and support them.  That way you pretty much directly support these two research teams as well.

It warmed up a lot in the afternoon so the wildlife watching wasn't as good as in the morning.  In fact I only have one memorable photo from the drive.

Capybara and hitchhiker:

Capybara and Cattle Tyrant

During the drive we did encounter some cattle including a distressed calf.  The calf had been separated from its mom by a fence and couldn't figure out how to find an opening.  It just so happened that our driver was one of the cowboys.  But, since he didn't have a horse, he used the truck and horn to herd the calf along the fence until there was an opening.  Once the calf saw that, it bolted through the opening and right to its mother where it proceeded to nurse.

At the end of the drive, instead of going back towards the lodge, the driver took us to the lake.  Bill predicted that they had something special planned for us given it was our last night.  He was right.

We arrived at the lake to see that Rita has set up a table and we all enjoyed sundowners and snacks together.  Unfortunately, it was just beer or wine.  So, no Caipirinhas for us today...it's a wonder that I even lived through the evening.

Just like yesterday, I used my point and shoot to capture the wonderful sunset:

Baia Sunset

Since it was our last night, we needed to maximize our opportunity to see something special so we opted to take the night drive again.  Unfortunately, we shared it tonight was a couple ladies that talked the ENTIRE drive.  So, that just reinforced why we always pay extra for private guides on our trips.  You just never know when you encounter people you aren't compatible with.

The drive turned out to be mostly a bust.  Maybe the wildlife heard some us coming...  We did see a few Crab-eating Foxes and an FPO but that's about it.

Stefan did spotlight an Ocelot far off in the bushes and reeds but it just sat there and none of us could see anything not even eye shine.

So, the only photo I have from the drive is of this Common Paraque which are aptly names since they are everywhere at night:

Common Pauraque

At one point, we did travel the same road as our afternoon game drive and Stefan spotted Puma tracks walking OVER our tire tracks.  So, a Puma had walked along that road in the past few hours.  Ah, if only...

Brazil Day 9 - Barranco Alto

Today we woke up to mostly clear skies.  It was a bit cool in the morning but I figured it would warm up soon so I only put on a T-shirt.

After our final excellent meal at Baia das Pedras, we headed outside for our transfer to Barranco Alto.   In order to fit all our luggage, Carlos and one of the Cowboys had hooked a small trailer to the back of the truck we used for game drives.  All of our luggage was loaded inside the trailer and tied down with a tarp to protect it from rain (not likely) or dust (most definitively).

It was about this time that I realized it might have been a mistake to only wear a T-shirt.  The truck was open on the sides and top, but the sun should keep me warm I thought.  Yeah, that was poor judgement.  As soon as we started moving, the a cold wind shot through the truck and right to my bones.

Luckily, the almost 5 hour drive to Barranco Alto (BA from now on) was scenic and full of great wildlife encounters which helped me forget about the cold.  It did eventually warm up too.

Maguari Stork:

Maguari Stork

South American Coati:

Coati in the Flowers

At one point we almost drove over this Southern Lapwing.  It wouldn't budge and we didn't know why until we got right next to it and saw the eggs:

Southern Lapwing on Nest

Collared Plover:

Collared Plover

Burrowing Owl:

Burrowing Owl

Blue and Yellow Macaw:

Blue and Yellow Macaw

We turned a bend and right in the middle of the "road" (I use that term loosely in the Pantanal) was a Pampas Deer fawn.  There was no sign of the mother.  I quickly snapped a picture through the windshield which came out OK:

Pampas Deer Fawn in the

Immediately after that, it ran off the "road" and through a fence but gave us one last glance.  Hopefully, mamma was near by.

Pampas Deer Fawn

While we saw lots of Capybara during this Brazil trip, we didn't see many with babies.  That changed during this drive.  They were adorable:

Cabybara with Babies

Baby Capybara

Following Mama

We even saw another Giant Anteater during the transfer.  But, as soon as we got out of the car and attempted to get closer this one took off.

Distant Giant Anteater

We saw 4 Six-banded Armadillos during the drive (That's 24 bands!). You would have to see 3 Nine-banded Armadillos in the States or 8 Three-banded Armadillos in Northern Brazil to get that many bands.  There was an amazing amount of Armadillo holes everywhere so I had to get a picture of that too.

Just a Couple Armadillo Holes

Six-banded Armadillo

The Armadillo is such a cool animal.  It is omnivorous and is basically an armored eating machine.  In Portuguese it's called a Tatu.  That's easier to say and spell.

Armored Killer

We also saw multiple Greater Rheas on this drive (I told you it was a great drive).  One actually stuck around for some photos:

Greater Rhea

Greater Rhea Closeup

We finally reached the outskirts of Barranco Alto's property around Noon.  Right after that we saw our first BA Giant Anteater.  This one allowed us to get close but the light was really harsh so I processed some of the pictures in Black and White to see if they looked any better.  Eh...I'm not sure.

Black and White Giant Anteater

Here is that same Giant Anteater "flipping a turd"

Giant Anteater Flipping Turds

And now, some interesting facts about the Giant Anteater courtesy of Lydia at BA who is one of the world's leading experts on them:

• They have unique markings on their front legs which help ID an animal
  • They have no teeth so there is really no way to tell their age when researchers catch them
  • They have to look at the claws and any scars to tell if it's an adult vs a full grown sub adult
  • Traps don't work to capture them unlike a Tapir.  They have to lasso it.
  • It can rear up and get very aggressive with its claws when threatened so lassoing them is dangerous
  • No one has ever seen them mate, give birth, or nurse in the wild.  This has only been witnessed in zoos.
  • Babies are born with little hair but they crawl up on their mother's back immediately
  • In zoos, the mother tends to cover the baby with her tail when nursing
  • Lydia has successfully radio collared two Giant Anteaters at Barranco Alto and is analyzing reams of data from those collars

Oh, and here's a fact from me.  The Giant Anteater walks on its front knuckles to keep its claws out of the way.  I tried multiple times to get a good picture showing this and here is the best one:

Walking on It's Knuckles

We arrived at Barranco Alto in time for a delicious lunch.  Once lunch was over we settled into our rooms.  This time (we also stayed at BA two years ago) we were put in the Red Room which was very nice and had a better view than the Yellow Room we were in previously (which was very nice as well).

Barranco Alto Red Room

Before our afternoon activity I wandered around the grounds a little bit.

White-lipped Peccary:

White-lipped Peccary

Plush-crested Jay:

Plush-crested Jay

We decided to take a walk for our afternoon activity since we had been sitting in a truck all morning. It felt great to stretch our legs and we had some good sightings on the walk.

Southern Lapwing Bathing:

Southern Lapwing Bathing

We found a Tatu that seemed to be scavenging a dead carcass:

Six-banded Armadillo Scavenging

We also had a large group of Blue-throated Piping Guans fly past us:

Blue-throated Piping Guan Flyby

Gray-brocket Deer:

Gray Brocket Deer

We returned to the lodge at dusk where we ordered a round of, what else, Caipirinhas.  Unfortunately, Rita spoiled us with hers and these were pretty weak and not as good.

We had beef for dinner and it was the first so-so meal of the trip.  The beef was pretty tough but they served it with Manioc Root which I enjoyed.  We actually had Manioc a lot on the trip. It's very versatile just like potato. I liked all forms of it but especially the Manioc fries.  I even came up with a little song.

"I'm a Manioc...manioc at the buf-fet.  And I acted like I never ate before"

Hmm...maybe those drinks weren't that weak after all.

It looks like jane and I had the same room as you. At least, I recognise that weird picture on the wall.... 

yes @kittykat23uk that has to be our room - that crazy artwork that we had Stefan translate!   Jealous of the capybara babies, we didn't see any that small - so cute!  Also the Pampas deer fawn is adorable - hope it found its mama. Glad your driver helped the calf find its Mama earlier too.

We didn't get any special last night sundowners at Baia das Pedras - humph - and we only had capirinhas one night!  Next time we go back perhaps!

But we got wine :D

Brazil Day 10 - Barranco Alto

The bed in the Red Room was the most comfortable of the trip and I got a decent night's sleep.  But, I was woken up multiple times by a Common Paraque that called outside our room constantly.  I named him Lionel because he sang "All Night Long".

The breakfasts at BA are traditional Brazilian with ham and cheese, breads, jam, juice, and cake.  Hey as long as there is cake, I am happy.  But, BA does serve breakfast at 5:45AM which is darn early.  You do beat the heat that way for your morning activity if there was heat.  It was pretty mild for our entire stay and downright cold the first few days.

Our activity was a boat ride on the Rio Negro which was quite nice and very peaceful.  We had some good wildlife encounters as well.

It wasn't James Bond, but we saw our own "Golden Eye":

Golden Eye

Not long after starting the boat ride we encountered a pair of Giant Otters. They came closer to check us out and that enabled me to get a few shots:

Giant Otters

Giant Otter

Kingfishers are very common on the river.  The challenge is getting them to sit still for pictures.  We were only able to accomplish that a few times:

Ringed Kingfisher

Here is a look at an Otter Den on the riverbank.  You can tell it has been recently used due to the tracks in the sand:

Otter Den

As we floated downriver we encountered a small group of Capybara enjoying the morning sun:

Capybaras

Large-billed Tern:

Large-billed Tern

We also saw the other otter species. It's a Neotropical Otter:

Neotropical River Otter Spotting Us

River Otter Investigating The Strange Objects in the Boat

As we were watching this Cormorant try to enjoy a recent catch...

Cormorant with Lunch

The Otter came out of the water and tried to grab the fish:

River Otter Trying for Easy Meal

But, it gave up pretty quickly when the Cormorant didn't drop the fish right away:

Not Easy Enough...

Right after this happened we heard the Capybara bolt into the water and start barking alarm calls:

Capybara Taking Refuge in the River

We sat and waiting and scanned the bank hoping that some large feline predator would emerge but we saw nothing and eventually the Capybara swam back to shore.

Sungrebe:

Sungrebe

Striated Heron:

Striated Heron

Black Skimmer:

Black Skimmer

Pied Plovers:

Pied Plovers

Then we encountered the same Giant Otter pair again:

Giant Otter Pair

We spooked a Cocoi Heron that squawked at us in disapproval as it flew away:

Disturbing a Cocoi Heron

Heron Squawking at Us

Rufous-tailed Jacamar:

Rufous-tailed Jacamar

As we approached a small sand island, we noticed a kneeling Jabiru on it:

Kneeling Jabiru

I guess it was just chillin' waiting for its buddy to show up.  That didn't take long:

Jabiru Preparing to Land

Jabiru Landing

Once the 2nd one landed, they stood side by side:

Jabiru Pair

Then they turned and started strutting in unison up the beach.  They look pretty gangling as they walk:

Strutting Jabiru

After lunch, which was tough beef again, I walked around the grounds a bit.

Scaled Dove:

Scaled Dove

This guy was obviously waiting for the Caiman dentist:

Caiman Yawn

"Yes sir, open wider please.  It appears you have a bit of fish stuck back here.  There, I got it"

"Thanks Doc.  Much better now"

Yacare Caiman

If you have been paying attention you will have noticed that I have a few pictures of Cattle Tyrants.  These are the birds that always seem to be riding something.  Capybara, Pigs, you name it.  Well, I found one that thought it was the King of Poop:

Cattle Tyrant - King of Poop

Darn it, now I have MJ songs stuck in my head for the 2nd trip report in a row!

"Ani are you OK.  Are you OK Smooth-billed Ani"

Smooth-billed Ani

Don't worry, that's it this time.  Can't recycle old stuff.  Must develop new material...

One of my favorite Pantanal birds is the Guira Cuckoo and we saw a lot of them. They are cool looking, have a great call, and hang out together strutting around the grounds like velociraptors.  What's not to like?

Guira Cuckoo

Yacare Caiman Closeup:

Yacare Caiman Closeup

Chaco Chachalaca:

Chaco Chachalaca

Black and White Tegu:

Black and White Tegu

If you couldn't tell, grounds around the lodge at Barranco Alto are teeming with wildlife.

At 3:30 we headed out for a game drive with Stefan and Lydia.  The drive started out nice enough with a few birds.

White-faced Ibis:

White-faced Ibis

Yellow-chevroned Parakeets:

Yellow-chevroned Parakeets

As we drove away from the lake, I spotted a dark space up ahead at about 11 o'clock.   "Giant Anteater!"  I exclaimed.  But, something looked a bit different with this one.  "It has a baby!"

That's right, we spotted another Giant Anteater (my goal for the trip as you know) and this time it had a baby.  That's the dream encounter!  Who better to guide us through this encounter than Lydia.  She knew this animal well and had named it Clawdia.  It was apparently very tolerant of people.  So, Lydia led us downwind where we photographed Clawdia a bit.  But, she was back lit so the pictures were not very good.  Slowly, Lydia and Stefan moved us around as Clawdia foraged towards the lake and went under one of the fences.  I don't know how the baby managed to hold on as the wire brushed over it:

Squeezing Under the Wire

We slowly followed Clawdia and climbed through the fence as well.  It was from there that the photo shoot really started.  As I have said before, if you don't like Giant Anteaters...look away now.

Giant Anteater

Giant Anteater with Baby

The baby had its eyes closed most of the time but once in a while it opened them and once it actually tested its tongue.  Boy, it's a long one...

Giant Anteater Baby Testing its Tongue

Here is a great view of the front foot and claws:

Giant Anteater

It's only when you have long intimate encounters with wildlife that you can really see some cool behavior and this was no exception. Clawdia would find an ant nest and dig into it a bit moving her tongue around and lapping up all the ants that she could.  But, ants like to fight back and they would start to swarm on her nose.  You can see the red ants on her nose in these pictures:

Nice Claws

Giant Anteater with Red Ants

But, that wouldn't drive her away immediately.  She had a trick to get them off of her.  She would take her claw and wipe it down her nose to knock the ants off. She would do this with one foot and then usually with the other.  It looked something like this:

Claw Used to Get Rid of Stinging Ants

Giant Anteater

But, eventually the ants would be too much and she would move on.  So, that meant more pictures!

Yup, Another Giant Anteater with Pup Photo

Giant Anteaters

I will finish up one of the best wildlife encounters of our lives with a shot of the adorable little pup:

Giant Anteater Pup

To say we were excited is an understatement.   All most of us could muster to say during the encounter was "Wow!" over and over again.  It was truly special.

But, the afternoon was still young and there was more wildlife to see.  So, we left Clawdia alone and got back in the truck to see what else we could find.

A bit later we drove up to check out a Jabiru Nest.  It was in good light and the adults were home but not actually on the nest.  Lydia stopped the truck and we took in the sights.

Jabiru

In a tree right next door was a pair of Hyacinth Macaws looking very regal in the nice light:

Hyacinth Macaw Pair

But then they must have heard some Bad Company playing.  "Feel Like Macawing Love"

Mating Hyacinth Macaws

Beyond these trees was a Cocoi Heron:

Hyacinth Macaw Pair

And, in yet another tree next door, was this Red and Green Macaw:

Red and Green Macaw

There were beautiful photos to take in all directions.  You have GOT to love Barranco Alto!

As we were driving around the lake towards our sundowner spot, we passed a tree of Neotropic Cormorants.  They looked cool roosting together in the tree but I couldn't help feeling a sense of dread like something was in my future...

We stopped for a quick sundowner on the shores of the lake to enjoy the last light of the day and it looks like we were beaten to it:

White-backed Stilt

I ended up taken a few sunset pictures but with few clouds they really weren't anything special.  But, when I got home I zoomed in closely at one of them and was surprised to see that Clawdia photo bombed my sunset picture.

Giant Anteater at Dusk

Once it got dark, Stefan turned on the spot light and we got back in the truck for a night drive.  We saw 4 Crab-eating Foxes including this one:

Crab-eating Fox

At one point we stopped in the small clearing because we heard something crashing in the trees.  Stefan turned off the light a few times hoping that it would show itself.  As we waited we could hear 3 different species of owls calling.  There was an FPO calling in one direction, a Tropical Screech owl in another, and a 3rd owl calling that, for the life of me, I can't remember.  Oh well.

There was also a huge full moon and fire flies.  It was pretty surreal.  Unfortunately, whatever was crashing around in the trees didn't come out so we will never know what it was.

When we arrived back at the lodge, Stefan took our drink order again and wasn't surprised to hear our response. Caipirinhas all around!

Dinner was once again beef which was disappointing.  But, dessert was a Chocolate Ice Cream cake that was fan-freaking-tastic!  That was the perfect topper to an epic day in the Pantanal.  Despite finding a few more ticks on me, I fell asleep with a big grin on my face.

1 hour ago, Atdahl said:

@kittykat23uk and @SafariChick, that's too funny that you guys has the same room.  It would be even better if @Alexander33 did as well.  

@Atdahl  @kittykat23uk  @SafariChick

Well, guess what?  We did have the red room!  I recognized it immediately. Had it on our first visit, too. I guess they should rename it the Safaritalk Room. 

Great to see Clawdia and child. We actually sat around the table one day at lunch trying to figure out what a baby anteater is called. Stefan and Claudia (the guide, as opposed to Clawdia the anteater) settled on just “baby,” but I think you’re right, Alan. A pup!

Edited by Alexander33

Aww you got much better views of a baby anteater than we did! What luck! :)

Wonderful sighting!

Wonderful sightings, and wonderful photos! Anteaters are spectacular, long tounge obligatory for what they prefer to eat.

Wonderful sequence with the baby anteater. Is there a cuter animal?

You really make me want to go back to Barranco Alto. And good to hear that Lydia is still doing her excellent work with the Anteaters 

Your photos are superb throughout.

To the "Cs" in your title, you could add "Cake" :)

Thanks everyone.  It was great to get that close and have Clawdia so calm around us.

@TonyQ, I can't believe I didn't think of adding "Cake" to my title. I was trying to come up with a 3rd "C" and totally blanked.  Next time I will have you come up with my titles.  :)

@Alexander33, @kittykat23uk, @SafariChick, that's too funny that we all stayed in the same room.  Did you have frogs living behind the mirror in the bathroom and a small daily invasion of some sort of flying insect on the window?

Yes we had frogs. I also had fireflies in my room at Caraça Monastery...

Yep, we had the frogs in the bathroom every night, an adult and a juvenile, but no insects. There had been rain and cooler weather just before our arrival, so maybe that took care of them?

What an amazing trip, great wildlife sightings and great photos, thank you for sharing. Love them all but the anteater + baby are really special! Did I miss it, what month did you go? It seems this was a good time for babies of all kinds...