Zim Girl

19 hours ago, AfricIan said:

Not strictly true, but those that are are "back fanged" so can give you a painful bite but unlikely to do much harm unless they are able to "give you a good chewing" eg on a finger allowing venom to be injected. In the ocean there are two highly venomous sea snakes.

On further checking this appears to be the case.  My Bradt Madagascar Wildlife book doesn't mention this.  Probably just as well I didn't know, I might not have enjoyed getting so close :)

But you are far too sensible to go poking a snake with your finger until it bites - aren't you? :D

A wonderful report and some really great images. It is always great to see reptiles take centre stage. Your report brought back very pleasant memories of our experiences in 2013 when we spent 3 weeks in Madagascar. Initially out trip mirrored yours same accommodation etc, but when you went north we went south, then west and finally north west. I can recommend Kirindy Reserve if you are able to cope with very poor accommodation, David Attenborough survived the experience, we did only just! We recorded 23 different species/sub-species of Lemur during our visit to the island including a Mouse Lemur as yet not described to science. We particularly wanted to observe a Fosa and managed 3 at Kirindy. Madagascar is a unique wildlife destination and I was amazed when I first became interested in this forum that Madagascar did not get wider coverage. It is interesting that in the year we visited tourist numbers visiting the island totalled about 3,500, that number has now increased by a factor of 4+, probably as a result of some very comfortable lodges now being available. Your detailed and informative report has certainly put it back on the map for many and a visit to the north of the island already on our wish list has just moved near to the top. Thank you again.

Thank you @johnweir for reading along. We certainly found Madagascar a very interesting place to visit and an absolute must for any 'reptile lovers'.

@Zim Girl

Thank you for a wonderful report, great writing and excellent photos.

You saw an amazing range of reptiles, beautiful lemurs and stunning landscapes. Well done with the bridge. It was a long time ago that we went to Madagascar, and our itinerary was more focused south, but your report brought back a lot of good memories. Very enjoyable!

@TonyQ    Thank you very much Tony and glad it brought back good memories.

• 4 months later...

@Zim Girl  I am only on the first few posts, so maybe you explain this later but how did you hire Lova and Alex for guide and driver?  How many of you were there?  Excellent start with the Indri. 

10 hours ago, Atravelynn said:

@Zim Girl  I am only on the first few posts, so maybe you explain this later but how did you hire Lova and Alex for guide and driver?  How many of you were there?  Excellent start with the Indri. 

We booked the trip through UK based TO Steppes Travel, who uses a local ground agent called ZA Tours.  The guide and driver were supplied by ZA Tours.  It was a private trip just for us two.  The Indri were amazing, a real highlight of the trip and seen on several occasions.

Thanks for the info.  I'll be looking through the rest of your trip for more amazing creatures.

• 2 years later...

Thanks @zimgirl for another fantastic TR

Your trip was just a month after ours to Madagascar & the first few days going to same places. But the next sections showed me some of the parks we missed. So another return trip to go on never ending places to go to list. But we already have two trips booked that keep moving further ahead.

The Chameleon photos are great. Maybe before our next trip I need a photography training course!

Thank you @NSY, glad you enjoyed it.  Thank you for the photo compliment, we really enjoyed finding all the different species of chameleon.