Unusually unlucky

Sonali1974

Hello.....

hope fodorites, remember me as Sonali74, just heard most of you had shifted to this forum.....am presently in Bandhavgarh and in 4 safaris, 3 in tala and 1 in Magadhi....did not spot a single tiger, heard alarm calls, saw pug marks and heard the tigress growling, but did not see any tigers.....

Still have 3 safaris in Bandhavgarh and then am off to kanha for 3 nights.....keeping my fingers crossed......Sonali

Good luck with the rest of your trip!

Thanks kittykat....like the name...:-))))

Ouch... Hope your luck will change for the better ;)  I willbe going to the same parks in march so I am very interested in hearing how the sightings turns out. 

Oh....March should be much much better, I am planning another trip in summer.....we could bump into each other, there are plenty of tigers, and March is a much better month to see tigers as the dense jungle has usually dried out and you could find tigers at the waterholes, getting relief from the heat......its just that I have been unlucky.......bet you will not be......will keep you posted on the rest of my safaris

Also, have come on photographic safari, and guess what, have not brought a camera......:-))))) well all the talk on DSLR and auto focus vs dynamic focus, sounds Greek and Latin to me, the company is called toehold and must say they organise very good safaris and the skippers knowledge and guiding is comparable to the best and most expensive lodges in Africa, we are a group of 20 people with only 3 in each jeep, and yesterday we had a discussion / debate on our parks and the three skippers knowledge astounded me regarding various viewpoints. I travel single, so have found a very good company to travel with, more later

Good luck on the rest of your trip @Sonali1974 on the rest of your trip.  I’m also going in March and have to say I’d be sad if I don’t get any tigers, although we’ve done everything we can to maximize our chances of tigers.  I imagine the photographers in your group must be especially stressed out!  Hope you’ll give us more information on how things went once you’re back home.

That's how I console myself on returning from foreign fishing forays during which I very rarely catch the numbers of fish that the agents have led me to expect.  However, on those very rare occasions when I've been unexpectedly successful, I quite quickly lose interest and switch to an alternative activity.  Perhaps, it really is better to travel in hope than to arrive!

Well guys....finally the jinx is broken, saw the adult 3 year old male cub of the chakradhara female, he is the biggest tiger I have ever seen, massive, later saw a 9 month cub of the same female, the first sighting was like a 2 second sighting and the second was like for 20 seconds...so its progressive, :-))))......thank God and also all on the forum, spotted them after posting, in my 6th game drive in the park.

Well half the trip is over, six game drives completed, six more to go, hope kanha proves to be more lucky than Bandhavgarh 

4 hours ago, Sonali1974 said:

Well half the trip is over, six game drives completed, six more to go, hope kanha proves to be more lucky than Bandhavgarh 

Obviously it’s no guarantee but I had an email from the owner of the company organizing our upcoming trip, and he said that Kansa (and Ranthambhore, where we are also going) are off to good starts for this safari season, so hopefully you find that to be true.  Let us know!

Good luck. We will be in Tadoba, Pench, Kanha, Bandhavgarh, and Ranthambhore in mid to late February. Pen

Guess you will have good sightings penolva, don’t worry, in my sixth game drive and the seventh game drive, I spotted Bamera son, the company am with have a detailed genetic report of the lineage of the cubs, will do a separate post on them asap, Sonali

Well finished 9 out of 12 game drives, saw tigers in 6th and 7th  game drives, hoping the next three game drives bring results, thanks, Sonali

Glad your luck has changed. :)  Shame you took no photographs for us to see.

If the tiger is near you can use your cell phone; better than nothing.

Edited by wilddog

Well Wilddog, in a natural sighting, the moments with the tiger are so important, that you are held spellbound by the majestic beauty and can savour the sighting for a life time, will try to post pics if my trip mates share pics with me, that way I hope I can fulfill your desire to see tigers :-)))

Well Xelas, agree with you but if you wish to see my last trip report, I have had more than 10 sightings on my previous trip, you can read my trip reports on fodors.com, my handle is sonali74....so 2 or 3 has just whetted my appetite....:-)))))

I appreciate your point. Time with the animals is valuable. It is obviously your choice not to take any photographs 

I have seen tigers in India too, and have my own own photos from that time.

Hope your recent sightings success continues.

Edited by wilddog

Thanks Wilddog, guess what the vehicle just ahead of us saw something rarer than the tiger, we just missed it, they saw the Indian wild dog, called dhole, they are sandy coloured animals.....since your name itself is Wilddog....I thought I should mention it, no tigers in kanha, yet !!Sonali.

Thanks Wilddog, guess what the vehicle just ahead of us saw something rarer than the tiger, we just missed it, they saw the Indian wild dog, called dhole, they are sandy coloured animals.....since your name itself is Wilddog....I thought I should mention it, no tigers in kanha, yet !!Sonali.

No tigers in kanha in 5 game drives

Well it's all luck of the draw I guess. In five safaris to India I've still never seen Dhole! Good luck with the rest of your trip! 

Same here, we were a group of 16 people, and almost 70 percent had sightings, guess I was unlucky :-(((