Galana's. Third big year.

Galana

Have a good time up in Scotland! My (Canadian) brother and sister-in-law are travelling around there somewhere, so they might have an eye for the goose, but definitely not for the merganser. Beautiful bird and you got quite close!

Dave Williams

Enjoy, if the weather is poor head south, stunning in North Wales at the moment!

@Galana

Enjoy Scotland and I am sure we will enjoy the bird photos you bring back

Thanks everyone. I will do my best to get something for everyone.

Tomorrow the tangle o the isles gets stronger as we re-locate to within smelling distance of the island capital that shares its name with a Womble. We are staying just across the sound in a small cottage that we know and love. Camera trap will be set each night and baited with Sardines and Peanut butter.

Weather was mixed to say the least today but we were out there.

First another look a a Red-breasted Merganser for clarity as these Red-heads always give trouble...

1-DSCN9529.JPG.0cfbc19db7bbf97992603fa03be5d348.JPG

1-DSCN9532.JPG.29e280f2deffbc2d6a654460cf9cf74e.JPG

Then today I found its cousin known in British circles as Goosander but sometimes by others as Common Merganser. Being a simple soul to me "Ganser" is Goose anyway..

1-DSCN9522.JPG.5cdd2b7e1a1ac8394021dca2d08420c7.JPG

1-DSCN9524.JPG.dfc1274716b6e113d5bbcd751c4a4b04.JPG

149. Goosander. Note the female, red-head, and the differences?

Finally today the half century can be marked with a lovely bird, to my eyes:-

1-DSCN9526.JPG.33e2c0fab2b630679c632f0554aafae5.JPG1-DSCN9527.JPG.6d33a49f2501f59540fdfd035fb6f176.JPG

150. Common Rockpiper, where there is no sand to pipe from.....

Til tomorrow..

michael-ibk

I'm having a very slow day apparently, you really had me google the Rockpiper now,  a wader Completely new to me!:D

i googled too, but found little. did you have success @michael-ibk ?

Peter Connan

I'm still trying to remember the names of all the Wombles...

Sorry ifI misled you @Kitsafari Sandpiper on the rocks. Speaking of on the rocks puts me in mind of how the Americans take their Scotch which is another link for @Peter Connan to find his Womble. Mull it over! Some birds today but I am not into ECBs this early.:D

Dave Williams

6 hours ago, Galana said:

Sorry ifI misled you @Kitsafari Sandpiper on the rocks. Speaking of on the rocks puts me in mind of how the Americans take their Scotch which is another link for @Peter Connan to find his Womble. Mull it over! Some birds today but I am not into ECBs this early.:D

:huh:

there's a lesson in there.....

@Dave Williams indeed.  but i did enjoy the clip. 

Edited by Kitsafari

Dave Williams

@Kitsafari He got me on April 1st so I look carefully now:ph34r:

Well after two very wet days when even Otters refused to come out, Today is the tomorrow that I promised on Friday:(

The sun came out and the rain headed for England and Wales:-

So first here is a photo from my Eyrie in Morvern of the Womble and town that I had in mind so long ago you will have forgotten.

1-DSCN9628.JPG.37b700717ba05af988480ffd0551e295.JPG

Tobermory. Isle of Mull. The Distillery is the large 'grey' building in the centre. Going there tomorrow.

Bring on the birds. Nearly missed this one as I thought it had been counted earlier.

1-DSCN9537.JPG.2d6976e33d58bf546e5ee7abafeaea68.JPG

1-DSCN9541.JPG.9e2ad1195bc4904eb41156458d3de4ab.JPG

151. Common Gull. Loch Sunart.

And a strange tale.

Last year, same place I got a decent  photo of a Cuckoo so set off with a smart step and full of hope...

As I approached the hillock/brae there sure enough sat a cuckoo.

1-DSCN9601.JPG.0486aebb31cbb410a5521bd80eb40a93.JPG

But in a repeat of last year I used the dead ground to get closer, and closer....

1-DSCN9618.JPG.44e213ed815f0d720d801783855ed19d.JPG

1-DSCN9622.JPG.5a5a021947effb7b7c630cb86fad4ce3.JPG

And it sat there and allowed me to do so. I swear that this bird was no more than 20 feet from where I saw a very similar one last year.

It was not stuffed and did fly off.

152. Eurasian (Common) Cuckoo. Drimnin Mains, Morvern.

pedro maia

I hope you post at least an EBC of Nessie before your Scottish vacation ends.

I've never seen such an approachable Cuckoo! Amazing.

Tobermory! It brings some (good) memories back. On the pier there is a place with very good fish@chips. So cuckoos are back in town?!

Peter Connan
8 hours ago, xelas said:

Tobermory! It brings some (good) memories back. On the pier there is a place with very good fish@chips. So cuckoos are back in town?!

Actually, that is one of only two Wombles who's names I could remember at first, but I didn't make the connection...

@pedro maia I have seen Nessie many times but the photos don't come out too well. I will cross suitable habitat later in my trip so will do what I can.

12 hours ago, PeterHG said:

I've never seen such an approachable Cuckoo! Amazing.

It is certainly unusual but as it happened last year too it may b e something to do with my disguise as a Meadow Pipit.

@xelas Yes, they are back. I heard the first of many on my arrival last Tuesday in Crianlarich and they are calling incessantly every day since. Even in the rain.

Cuckoo fact. I always assumed the female just dropped an egg or two and left it at that. I was wrong. A female can lay up to a dozen or more, spread over several nests. No wonder the poor girl has to pass them off to another bird to rear!!

Tobermory was a let down today. My favourite restaurant that I insist on having at least one lunch in per year had a large hole in the roof when I arrived salivating today. Disastrous fire last week and closed.:(And the Distillery was closed for refurbishment.

Matt will be getting cross with me so I better put up a bird. 

1-DSCN9645.JPG.5b10e4cc200c904847653dfd7defae30.JPG

A Buzzard I thought had caught a snake when it flew over but under close scrutiny I think it has had an accident with a thorn bush. Painful!!

One of my target birds was a bit harder but I got an EBC as it entered the landing pattern for London.

1-DSCN9651.JPG.6d57008bc88c68f28400d2bfb6be1bc1.JPG

153. White-tailed Eagle.

And for something completely different:-

My cameras work 24/7 and this guy showed up at 5.23 for his Sardine sandwich.

1-IMG_0151.JPG.1f824bda16f1bc021529a0536590341b.JPG

1-IMG_0152.JPG.4fc222f5afaad2e713abf804124f4048.JPG

Pine Marten. His lady and kit are around but the quality was not good in the rain and darkness.

Edited by Galana

Towlersonsafari

lovely pine marten @Galana we are off to morvern in 2 weeks time armed with peanut butter

@Towlersonsafari

I hope you have the correct address.

The Sardines are for the cats.

We seem to have a different one this year as one I captured seemed to sport a collar but when by chance I met her in daylight on the way to the1-IMG_0022.JPG.3954eaf2c9c9e0beb1a8f5db38c6d032.JPG early ferry at silly O'clock it seems to be a tracking collar. I had time for one shot and she was gone!  There should be NO white on the muzzle if pure.

1-DSCN9637.JPG.590bcc93a153b128df05aac43bcfbc9f.JPG

Good luck with your quest. 

I shall be searching near Tomintoul then.

Towlersonsafari

Splendid-have never seen a Scottish wild cat but we live in hope

Dave Williams

Sooooo envious of seeing  a Pine Marten.

33 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Sooooo envious of seeing  a Pine Marten.

Yep, me too!!

6 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Sooooo envious of seeing  a Pine Marten

Just been told today that they are getting so bold here that the lady informant and her friend watched one whilst in their Hot tub yesterday. Two places I can recommend are Glen Loy Wildlife just up from Fort William and "Red Cottage" (holiday rental) on Eilean Shona where they bag on the windows for food. Or they did when I was there last. My current lodging is getting good too. They turn up most nights.

More of the Wildcat. The subject above is radio collared, one of two young females,  but rarely seen so I was 'honoured'. Collar comes off in a few months for safety reasons. The local Male "one eyed Jack" defends his territory and lost his eye in a fight but can still lick his rivals with only the one eye. He swaggers around the area like a prize fighter.

To conclude for @pedro maia

1-DSCN9688.JPG.913e48d8509d2280d4d959b1f1d7b5f7.JPG

I baited the Loch for Nessie but he did not come out as he prefers tethered goats.

And for @Dave Williams and his generation,,

A tribute to Tommy Steele.

1-DSCN9745.JPG.bdcf75dadf964e0bc60649a843bf9bc2.JPG

And his DAd!

1-DSCN9747.JPG.7fe2b02d0133382f91d55d9c93831657.JPG

Nearly forgot the birds.....Despite second 'big miss' of the trip I did glean a couple of ticks.

1-DSCN9691.JPG.35db82f96845e820c6050737f43e8a3c.JPG

154. House Martin. Loch Teagus.

1-DSCN9753-001.JPG.99cee80183d0248668c13d6df10fbf9e.JPG

1-DSCN9755.JPG.52f8907a0a526d96e507757158e2cc4f.JPG

155. Spotted Flycatcher. Rathoy Hills Reserve.

And finally to clearly show the flank streaks on a Tree Pipit as a field mark...

1-DSCN9667.JPG.aecd4fc8784b11721561bfe22d1ffe59.JPG

20.30. Time to feed the cats..

Dave Williams

We The Little White Bull eh.. and McCowans Highland Toffee with the Highland Cow on the front of the bar. Best value for your pocket money as a 3d bar lasted forever when you tried to bite the end off leaving a perfect impression of your teeth (and the gaps in them at a tender age) with two spiky bits on either side were you had eventually won the battle to pull a bit of toffee off the bar. Magic memories!

Edited by Dave Williams