Very impressed with Kenyan Conservancies - January 2019

MartinDT

Kenya Conservancies – January 2019 – Gamewatchers  Adventure Camps

Selenkay and Ol  Kinyei

I have just come back from my first visit to a Kenyan Conservancy and I’m most impressed, not only by the amazing game viewing I had but also with how much sense this concept makes. Here is a short summary of my trip:

Selenkay – 3 nights – Daniel (Mulli) and Jackson were excellent guides and Joshua looked after all my culinary needs exceptionally well. Camp manager Daniel is an extraordinary guy and we had in depth and varied conversations every night over dinner.

image.png.a50647bc05ebb8aafbcb996f258b99a4.png

Elephant viewing here was the best I’ve ever had with a loose group of around 200, some were massive tuskers. They were very calm and consequently we got very close to them on numerous occasions. Mulli is a bit of an elephant expert and understood their moods very well. The area also offered wonderful giraffe sightings.

image.png.9747fd9e41b2223b8b36bf9765eaa62d.png

Visited Amboseli National Park one day – main attraction being the water birds, which were excellent. I know Amboseli is well known for its elephants however the elephant sightings back in Selenkay was far better on account of being able to get really close-up.

image.png.dc136322dedc72361992aaaf11778afb.png

Ol Kinyei – 4 nights – Ben (also the manager) and David were real characters and excellent guides. Game viewing in general very good but lions the best I’ve ever experienced with multiple sightings every day. The highlight was undoubtedly the two lionesses with their 5 cubs and watching how the mothers introduced meat to them in the form of a newly caught baby warthog.

image.png.2c41789d44a7a16b09680d2ea3221c50.png

image.png.f744df1844ea5d095628abb790da9e7c.png

Cheetah sightings also exceptional with three separate sightings which included a mother and her three cubs charging around the small group of three game viewing vehicles which assembled.

image.png.82db63694887ee0c7452f859b02849d0.png

Summary – Having done around 20 safaris over the years I can genuinely state that these two conservancies are amongst the best I’ve experienced. The accommodation offering is rustic but most adequate for those who are on a budget or who just prefer a more authentic safari experience. The food is very good and the game drives top drawer. Altogether an experience I’d like to repeat very soon.

On 1/17/2019 at 3:26 AM, MartinDT said:

Kenya Conservancies – January 2019 – Gamewatchers  Adventure Camps

Selenkay and Ol  Kinyei

Summary – Having done around 20 safaris over the years I can genuinely state that these two conservancies are amongst the best I’ve experienced. The accommodation offering is rustic but most adequate for those who are on a budget or who just prefer a more authentic safari experience. The food is very good and the game drives top drawer. Altogether an experience I’d like to repeat very soon.

~ @MartinDT

Thank you for posting this eloquent endorsement of the value of Kenya's conservancy model.

I'm sure that Gamewatchers Managing Director @JakeGC will be delighted to know how much you enjoyed your experience.

Your sightings, the guiding, the accommodations, and the overall atmosphere sound superb.

The immense tuskers you saw sound like an especially memorable sight.

May your next safari be as rewarding as this one was.

Tom K.

Thanks Tom, I've already booked a return trip for October this year. This time I'll be doing Porini Rhino, Cheetah and Lion camps. Can't wait to get back to the region.

Can't resist the temptation to add another few photos:

image.png.36925118f2eb36330cac385cc3e174d8.png

image.png.51fd046b7e50528430e61c6b4b85a7f2.png

image.png.a3468079cdacbd85997e43cbaaaa284b.png

image.png.acb2d8c413ba5a0e66f7e3696ac29cf8.png

image.png.bf4284d57da8848ee8c055a5d738080c.png

image.png.25b1063a3429b7c949d06c92053d75f7.png

image.png.2464c24eb612243ab7e9b11170681fe3.png

3 hours ago, MartinDT said:

Thanks Tom, I've already booked a return trip for October this year. This time I'll be doing Porini Rhino, Cheetah and Lion camps. Can't wait to get back to the region.

~ @MartinDT

Ah, Porini Lion. Ask @amybatt. She knows.

That's a very special camp indeed.

The week I spent there was one of the finest safaris I ever had in all respects.

I trust that your upcoming Porini Rhino, Cheetah and Lion stays will be more than satisfactory.

Thank you for adding more photos. There are never enough.

The white-faced whistling duck image is especially appealing.

You look relaxed and comfortable in the shade. What a variety of handicrafts around you!

Tom K.

Lovely TR @MartinDT.  Looks like the conservancies delivered for you.  I did a Porini circuit back in 2014 of Rhino, Mara and Lion camps.  If you think Ol Kinyei was good, just wait for Olare Motorogi where Lion is.  You’ll be very pleased there as well!  Glad you enjoyed your trip, it shows in the photos!

2014 is a long time ago amybatt, time to plan the next one! I'm so looking forward to my next visit.

I posted a description of my fascinating lion observations whilst on this safari under the heading "Animal behaviour". Unfortunately I erroneously posted it under Wildlifetalk, African Wildlife, Latest Conservation" when in fact I meant it to be part of my trip report, So for those own are interested please read it there. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for those Selankay comments on elephants and your additional comments!