Live from Kidepo

dlo

Not really a trip report but wanted to share that Kidepo has really surprised after just one drive. Saw a cheetah about 15 minutes in with expectations of ever seeing one here!

Also a well hidden lion that wasn't hidden well enough and we spent awhile with a large herd of ele's.

Surprised by all the ele's and man so many buffalo! @inyathi we had a ranger with us who participated in the giraffe translocation and gave us some laughs. There will be more moves upcoming and I do worry about drilling in murchison.

Jinja was a blast, Sipi Falls was great and there's still a long way to go. Internet is great and I never siesta so may add some more later.

P.S man it's hot!!!

~ @dlo

Thanks for the in the field post.

I'm highly interested in Kidepo National Park, so any information is appreciated.

Very glad to know that you've had great sightings.

Hope that the fun continues!

Tom K.

I think I just had the fastest turnaround on a safari ever. Very slow and just one of those drives when all of a sudden its lion all to ourselves and my first ever trumpeting and then 2 short charges from some ele's.

Crazy end to the day I'm glad this is of some interest.

Cool to get a live report, and not jealous at all that you are in Africa right now. Enjoy! 

18 hours ago, dlo said:

I think I just had the fastest turnaround on a safari ever. Very slow and just one of those drives when all of a sudden its lion all to ourselves and my first ever trumpeting and then 2 short charges from some ele's.

Crazy end to the day I'm glad this is of some interest.

You've got it all wrong @dlo it's not "of some interest" it's fascinating news of great interest. Enjoy every moment.

@dlo we could get very used to live reports from you every time c you go on safari!

Have fun!

19 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

Cool to get a live report, and not jealous at all that you are in Africa right now. Enjoy! 

No reason to be jealous you're leaving soon enough!  

Quick update but another cheetah which is crazy since there's like 10 in the park. Felt a little crappy and didnt eat lunch cause this heat is killing me and broke every Safaritalk rule and skipped the drive this afternoon.

Well good things come to those who lounge on the patio. I hear a scuffle look over and watch a rock python choke out a bird, start eating and then hop away with it! Good times!

Bad news is buhoma is booked up and we got moved to ruhija for gorillas. Working on getting back to buhoma as ruhija looks very difficult.

Anyone here ever do ruhija or know anything about it.

Off to Murchison tomorrow.

P.s. typing on a phone sucks.

I’ve been slightly busy at the moment and not too active on ST as I’m off to Africa myself quite shortly, I saw you’re earlier post, fantastic that you saw cheetahs in Kidepo, but I’ve only just caught up with your question about Ruhiza, so I hope my rather limited advice is not too late to be of any use, I have been to Ruhija a long time ago, but only for birding, at the time gorilla trekking from Ruhija wasn’t available. It is the highest part of Bwindi NP and my understanding from what I’ve read is that gorilla trekking from there is pretty tough going compared to other options because the hills are very steep, which accords with your thoughts. My impression from having been there and just walked along the road is that that would be the case, just how tough it might be would obviously depend on how far away the gorillas are on the day and there’s no way of knowing that. If you are really concerned about the steepness of the hills then I hope they are able to change it for you, other than that I can’t really say much more other then good luck and enjoy the rest of your safari.

Thanks @inyathi I'm working on it but worse comes to worse I'll just get on with it.

Heading to masindi tomorrow Murchison was just ok. Yesterday in particular was very slow but the the boat launch was good and I enjoyed the hike to the top of the falls. Good sightings on the way back to cam though.

Today I made the greatest sighting by anyone ever according to me when we were trying to follow a lion we had seen when I noticed a leopard just dangling from a tree maybe 4 or 500 meters away and yep I'm pretty proud.

No oil drilling has started here yet but a bridge is being built to replace the ferry and a huge new road is being constructed by the top of the falls and plenty of Bush has been plowed.

~ @dlo

Congratulations on the dangling leopard sighting.

From such a distance, great spotting.

I'd gladly ride with your keen eyes on any game drive!

Tom K.

On 2/1/2019 at 2:13 PM, Tom Kellie said:

~ @dlo

Congratulations on the dangling leopard sighting.

From such a distance, great spotting.

I'd gladly ride with your keen eyes on any game drive!

Tom K.

Haha that's the funny thing Tom my eyesight is terrible. We went birding at the royal mile and were humbled by the amazing spotting of our guide.

Our guide was super excited by our chocolate kingfisher sighting and an Ituri something that I've totally forgotten.

The last couple of days we did our birding day and Rhino tracking that was great fun. Unfortunately dodgy stomachs have been with us for a few days.

After stopping for a haircut at a local salon and becoming quite the talking point we have arrived at Kibale.

Chris is also quite excited to have met a photographer here that she follows online and we must have taken him from his client for 20 minutes.

Habituation tomorrow hopefully we have better luck than the people we just met.

@dlo Unfortunately due to illness and the extreme fatigue which accompanied it I was unable to make the boat trip in Murchison falls.I can always go back since Uganda is an hour flight from Nairobi and a drive from Entebbe.Not everyone feels that oil drilling confined as it is to a tiny portion to the north of the park will necessarily destroy it.I am so delighted that you saw a cheetah,I did not,apparently all the cheetahs are only seen there as individuals.

What an amazing day of chimp habituation. I'm kinda buzzing even though I'm exhausted right now. Spent several hours with them this morning and after a lull this afternoon they took us to a habituated group. Wow it was so much better than our last time and honestly maybe better than the gorillas.

Hopefully some pics turn out and honestly after several more hours hanging out with our new photographer friend I'm sure he's rubbed off on us.

As an added bonus we seriously started talking about a Mana Pools trip with him as well as its is home turf and we just really got on exceptionally well.

Days like this are why Africa can be so great and I love it as much as I do.

On 2/4/2019 at 9:50 PM, dlo said:

Haha that's the funny thing Tom my eyesight is terrible.

After stopping for a haircut at a local salon and becoming quite the talking point we have arrived at Kibale.

~ @dlo

You've done what I've wanted to do, but never yet tried.

Every time I see “kinyozi” in Kenya, I'm tempted to enter for a haircut.

I laughed when reading how you provided fodder for local banter.

I'm enjoying your observations from the field.

Tom K.

Gorilla tracking was pretty damn good it certainly matched up with chimps but my God it was as hard as feared.

Ruhija is no joke and there is no way I'd ever choose that route. The good news was it was the closest group and Chris appears to have good photos. I got into pretty good shape and I'm just dead tired and sore. Extremely steep and slippery I spent a good chunk of time on the ground. 

Having dinner with the same couple as last night they're trek today took 10 minutes so colour me green!

Been a very good week and after biking tomorrow we are off to the impossibly beautiful lake mutanda.

Final update and just 1 day to go. Mountain biking was even more difficult than the gorillas, one hour riding and 2 hours pushing uphill Chris almost fainted and I was totally shattered. 

Anyone who has been to Uganda and has seen the loads they push uphill on there bikes will know how tough it is and how tough these people are 

Of course the next day was uphill going to see golden monkeys, that's enough walking!

A chill day watching otters and playing uno with waitress at Mutanda followed and lots of birds and hippos and easily the biggest warthog I've ever seen at lake mburo.

Chris and I are shopping and going for dinner with our guide and his wife tomorrow and then a day in Amsterdam and then home.

Hope those that read this enjoyed it and I'll try to get up a trip report for those interested.

~ @dlo

Thanks so much from your in-the-field updates.

They're fun to read and have a lot of energy.

Have a comfortable journey home.

Yes, there's definitely interest in seeing a trip report, but do enjoy a good rest first.

Tom K.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks @DavidJohnson it was a great trip. With my pc dying in the summer and a new puppy last month a trip report is a pretty difficult proposition. 

It is a very pleasant surprise to see all these new trip reports on the front page here so it looks like I have some reading to do. 

Also I have no idea about uploading things on here except on pc so I'm gonna try a test image.IMG_20191211_120312_805.jpg.2fbb4a6bc108ebdf20867c512cb67e57.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

You´re just making excuses now @dlo, it´s high time we get a new report from you! ;)

One Chimp photo (cool as it is) simply will not do, give us more!

Well @dlo - as your test image was a success - can I now give a gentle nudge for a follow up on your trip to Kidepo?

On 1/3/2020 at 2:22 PM, michael-ibk said:

You´re just making excuses now @dlo, it´s high time we get a new report from you! ;)

One Chimp photo (cool as it is) simply will not do, give us more!

Haha you always make me laugh Michael. Honestly I'm not making excuses it would be a chore to do an entire report on my phone or tablet. 

But you and @Caracal are great at twisting my rubber arm and my wife will take your side as well😁.

So I'll give it a try but it may take some time and as I said before I don't feel that Uganda reports are very popular so you two better follow along or else😢

@dlo

Not popular Uganda ? It is definitely under my radar since @adamt123 wrote his report with some fabulous bird sightings ( and the shoebill !! ) so I am looking forward to the Kidepo follow up !

Always happy to hear about any interest in Uganda. You should absolutely go as its a stunning country. I will start a fresh report and try to get it started today or tomorrow.