Kruger May 2020

Towlersonsafari

Towlersonsafari

Hello Kruger experts! We have 11ish days to go from South to North next May starting at 3 nights Pretoriskop and then Satara for three nights we have not been further North for many years.We are going out of Punda Maria gate and wondered about 2 nights Leteba 2 nights Batleur and 2 nights Sirheni if we can get them Is that a good plan? Has anyone stayed at the last three recently?

Any thoughts gratefully received

• 2 weeks later...

We just stayed at Letaba in december, nice place and not crowded  even though it was during south african school holidays. Lots of hyenas around camp. Maybe you have already booked, but Shingwedzi would be on my list for next trip. Beautiful camp and lots of predators around the camp. But you can´t really go wrong with any of the camps.

Edited by JayRon

Towlersonsafari

Thank you @JayRon we have not booked yet but we are going to

• 1 month later...

All those camps are brilliant - you will love them!

• 3 weeks later...
Dave Williams

The one I really regret not being able to book is Biyamiti but depends if you want to be that far south. I like the idea of 20kms of private road in the hopefully game loaded south. We are off to Kruger in late September and I'm not sure whether to jump in and book a second trip there or Kgalagadi in May/ June. Perhaps the latter is a better idea although the weather in Cape Town can be a bit iffy. You might perhaps have a view on that?

Back to Kruger though and it's interesting to read in my research such diverse views on different camps. Horses for courses as they say! Personally I'm really looking forward to the Bushveld ones but Punda Maria and  Shingwedzi gets some excellent reviews too. The one thing I have decided is not to try and attempt too much driving on a daily basis. Who knows what will be by the roadside when so you are just as likely to find it by sitting and waiting at a likely spot as driving many miles a day.

Like you we opted to go south to north, the opposite to most people's choice it seems.

Towlersonsafari

hi there @Dave Williams  I cannot recall if you have been to the KTP before-if not then my strong advice is to go there to experience a very different but equally wonderful trip.it could combine with cape Town or the Cederberg or even ., as we did last time the Karoo another wonderful place! and you are right about the reviews so many different opinions on can easily get confused!

Peter Connan

I think most people do North to South in order to make the trip back to civilization less strenuous.

But I feel that goung South to North optimises the experience inside the reserve...

Dave Williams
6 minutes ago, Peter Connan said:

I think most people do North to South in order to make the trip back to civilization less strenuous.

But I feel that goung South to North optimises the experience inside the reserve...

We hope so!

• 2 months later...

If you’re happy to just sit and watch what happens, a day trip to Pafuri picnic site from Punda Maria would be a good item to include in your itinerary, just to sit on one of the benches and watch what comes down to the river. A birding hot spot that’s virtually volcanic as well.