On this day I was......

kittykat23uk

In Japan watching snow monkeys in 2018!

27290768988_bcdab26ed8_h.jpg

P2180006 Snow Monkey by Jo Dale, on Flickr

26292290937_e13ba739ba_h.jpg

P2180945 Snow Monkey family by Jo Dale, on Flickr

Where were you? post an image or two from somewhere you went on the day you add to this post from a previous year or from this year if you are lucky enough to be on safari somewhere! :D

Oh @kittykat23uk both you and my Facebook memories remind me that usually in February I’m in a much nicer place (snow and frigid weather today...makes me nostalgic for Africa!)

In 2017, I was in Mara North with the Offbeat Pride

5366EABD-A40F-4B18-9074-335F92476576.jpeg

D2FDA663-F92B-4999-87E8-C117DB5F38CD.jpeg

10D84C2F-94F9-46A0-89DD-0E44AF136EFD.jpeg

In 2016 I was in Amboseli

3AD83E66-1CDD-45ED-A26F-63B80498ECCC.jpeg

In 2014 I was in Ol Pejeta

947E48A9-7488-4E0B-8FC4-1D32AA2EBE8B.jpeg

B48AA744-7A45-4BE4-AF97-1808AFBAC1A0.jpeg

And in 2013 I was in the Serengeti NP, with what is still, to this day, the largest pride of lions I’ve seen.

3513B5DF-7808-443E-97D8-B244482DC656.jpeg

91166E2A-E2EE-4969-AE8A-304CBFC961D2.jpeg

Edited by amybatt

Same here @Amybatt, Last year I was in Japan, year before, Borneo, year before that, Ladakh, India, this year, dealing with effing Brexit!!!! :angry:

Edited by kittykat23uk

19 Feb 2016 Hemis National Park, Ladakh

We scanned from Rumbak watchpoint early AM, other than a few birds, nothing was seen of note. We then hiked up the valley towards Urutse, gingerly crossing more frozen rivers. We turned left at the junction between the two valleys and continued on at pace. K.C. was on a mission! He had spotted a kill. The hike was arduous, as we scrambled along loose scree slopes overlooking the frozen river valley. 

After what seemed like an age, with breath heavy in my chest we reached a scree slope where scopes were being set up. It was an awkward spot to view comfortably from, but we made it work as a Tibetan wolf was hiding in the bushes beside a dead Bharal. The guides believed it was a Snow Leopard that had made the kill and that the wolves had most likely muscled in. There was one wolf at the kill, which briefly popped it's head up now and then.

Eventually it became bolder and emerged to feed on the carcass. We spent at least an hour watching the wolf feeding. Another wolf was resting up on a rock higher up the valley. When the first one finished eating, we hoped that it would leave and that the Snow leopard might return to reclaim the carcass.

Unfortunately the patient partner wolf had other ideas. He raced down the side of the mountain and with great strength, picked up the carcass in it's mouth and dragged it away back up the mountain. It seemed to vanish behind a ridge and I couldn't see it after that, but my video camera actually picked up both wolves further to the left as they headed up the mountain.