Kitsafari

Kitsafari

94/SG94: Siberian Blue Robin, Venus Drive

This is  an uncommon winter visitor from east Russia and east Asia. A tiny flighty bird, it seems to like skulking on the floor in the dense undergrowth to search for food and that made photography challenging in very low light. When we first sighted the bird, it was not in full breeding plumage so it only had flecks of blue on its body. Once it is in breeding plumage - the beautiful bird gets blue on its head and upper body with the belly remaining white. Oh, and it has pink legs. 

Robin-SiberianBlue.JPG.173b66201ae54c183795ff7e93900791.JPG

Edited by Kitsafari

Kitsafari

95/SG95: Wood Sandpiper, Lim Chu Kang Lane 3

an uncommon passage migrant, it flies into SEA and SOuth Asia from Europe and northern Asia during the wintry months. 

Sandpiper-Wood.JPG.d8b5e9d9edc1c3cdd8b7f48eaa6b32f9.JPG

Kitsafari

96/SG 96: White-rumped Sharma, Windsor Nature Park at Venus Drive

Found in Indian sub-continent, China, Indochina, Southeast Asia, this shama's population is also declining rapidly as it is a favourite target of the caged bird trade because of its beautiful melodic songs. It is considered as an old world flycatcher. 

Sharma-WhiteRumped.JPG.4d838f872a93a89c418ee8eeed1cad88.JPG

Kitsafari

97/SG97: Long-tailed Shrike, Lorong Halus 

there are 3 species of shrikes - and this pretty long-tailed shrike is the only resident one. Like the migrant brown shrike, the long-tailed shrike prefers open grassland. It has some rufous colouring on the flanks and vent with a thick black stripe across the eyes and a slaty grey head and mantle. It does not have any supercilium, unlike the brown shrike. 

Shrike-LongTailed.JPG

Lots of truly interesting additions, like the beautiful owl collection. Sad to read about the caged bird trade having such an impact on several species and, of course, about the deforestation in Malaysia and Indonesia.

Kitsafari

98/SG98: Tiger Shrike, Bidadari

This is a migrant to Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore from the wintry shores of East Asia and russia. It prefers wooded and forested areas. It has a thicker bill than the two other shrike species and it is striped at all ages, which gives it its name. 

This is a juvenile tiger shrike. 

Shrike-Tiger.JPG.f112afeacb6f72b73ab8295d973fbcc7.JPG

Kitsafari

99/SG99: Paddyfield Pipit, Changi Business Park/Bidadari

The paddyfield pipit is the only resident pipit of the 3 species found in Singapore. It is distributed in Indian sub-continent, northwestern China down to SEA. The pipit is greyish brown on the upperparts and has a more upright posture than the migrant pipits. 

Pipit-PaddyField1.JPG.aee82d8582980fc957b0108a17b488cd.JPG

Kitsafari

100/SG100: Blue-winged Pitta, Singapore Botanic Garden/ Windsor Nature Park

We started the BY with a hooded pitta because I've come to love pittas ever since I laid my eyes on a Malayan banded pitta last year. my secret dream is to see as many pittas as I can but I doubt if I will as they are often found in dense, dank undergrowth in thick forested areas and they are extremely skittish and nervous of humans. They are a fast vanishing species as a group, hard to find and see anywhere in the world, let alone in Singapore which has 3 pitta species but only one - the mangrove pitta - is a resident but is rarely seen at that. The stunning Blue-winged pitta transits through Singapore to fuel up and rest. Its breeding range is from southwestern China, through Indochina to the Thai-Malay peninsular. The winter visitors come from the northern stretches. they were found breeding in Singapore once in 2016 but since then, no nest or breeding has been reported. This is a beautiful pitta with red vent, striking blue strips on its wings, green upperparts and orange belly. 

This fat little fella looked well prepared for wherever it may be transiting to. he was heckled a lot by a territorial oriental magpie robin. 

Pitta-BlueWinged.JPG.65531cd8a89a39918077d63f0f5ce548.JPG

Pitta-BlueWinged3.JPG.a2d5624904152adc5c3a0ba5e1707781.JPG

Edited by Kitsafari

Kitsafari

@PeterHG unfortunately the caged bird trade is doing very well especially in INdonesia. The appeal seems to be less strong in Singapore these days but the caged bird market still survives. 

hopefully the next generations will give it up altogether. 

Peter Connan

What a magnificent bird to reach the century on! Really lovely birds you get there. And some really great shots too.

pedro maia

Stunning that Blue-winged Pitta, perfect for your century. 

I just KNEW you were saving up something for the magic 100 but I never guessed it would be such a great sighting as Blue-winged Pitta. (I can't think how it got its name.:D)

Like you I like to find Pitta but have seen only three species so far and never such a great view as yours.

Wow! What a collection! Really glad you retuned this year. Singapore has such a fascinating collection of birds 

What a fabulous bird and photo to make your century @Kitsafari

Kitsafari

Thanks @Tdgraves

Congratulations on reaching 100 - and a magnificent bird to achieve it (and great photos)

3 hours ago, Kitsafari said:

which are the 3 pitta species have you seen @Galana ?

Indian, Angolan and Green-breasted. None of them as clear as yours.

A glorious bird for celebrating the #100! Congratulations!!

michael-ibk

Congratulations Kit, such a stunning bird. Really love seeing your locals (which are so much more colourful and exciting than our own), and the photos are top notch. Bravo! Remind me, which gear are you and Herman using? 

Kitsafari

Thanks @michael-ibk, @TonyQ @xelas

Herman changed his gear mid of last year, so he's now using Canon 7d mark2 with 100-400 IS lens which show marked improvement over the previous tamron (can't recall which model) - i think this canon 7d is what you are using now? 

I'm still on a bridge camera - Sony RX10 mark 3 - no plans to change it in the immediate future altho I get very frustrated with the slow focus. Herman lent me the his previous Canon to practise but it's a tad heavier to hold while taking handheld shots. 

A really lovely bird to mark 100 with @Kitsafari.  Especially loved the Owls as well.

Kitsafari

Thanks @Zim Girl

It's Friday afternoon at my end of the planet, and work has eased in anticipation of the weekend! so back to the BY again...

thanks all for the comments on the blue-winged pitta. It was a very special bird !

101/SG101: Greater Painted Snipe, Lim Chun Kang Lane 3

this is a very rarely seen bird  in singapore as it is extremely skittish and hides well. But its population is hit by the massive clearance of its habitat (fresh water marshes and flooded grasslands) to make way for yet  more residential homes and commercial buildings. The Greater painted snipe is native to Singapore and distributed in South and Southeast Asia,Africa and Australia. Unlike other birds,the female is more attractive in colouring and leaves the nest once it lays the eggs, leaving the incubation and caring of the chicks to the male. 

Snipe-GreaterPainted-3.JPG.b1c657ecc101271d4445a8894c35a675.JPG

102/SG102: Pin-tailed Snipe, Lim Chu Kang Lane 3

The Pin-tailed snipe is an uncommon winter visitor from the faraway lands of northwestern Russia, eastern Siberia and Mongolia. It was found at the same place where the greater painted snipe was. 

Snipe-PinTailed1.JPG.7f9cf7ef419ae1e831d947721214af80.JPGSnipe-Pintailed2.JPG.ca2d349490688673ace1ef706778bca1.JPG

Your BY is going really well @Kitsafari

I cannot recall seeing such a fat bird (in the wild) as your Blue Winged Pitta, but it is a fine looking bird.