ST GTG Farnes in July 6/7

kittykat23uk

kittykat23uk

Hi all

@BigBaldIan and I have booked a mini-break to the farnes in July, we plan to do an all day birdwatch on the 6th and the afternoon trip to holy isand on the Sunday 7th. Would anyone care to join us? 

We had a memorable trip a few years back with:

@Soukous @Safari Cal  @JohnR, @kittykat23uk, @BigBaldIan@africapurohit.

well I wish I live in the UK so that I could join you. it sounds really wonderful. have a good day out!

Oh I'm on a course that weekend - boo! It would've been fun.

kittykat23uk

Aw shame! :(

I'll be in Brittany then, but otherwise I might be tempted as I always intended to go back to the Farnes.

kittykat23uk

Have a great time in Brittany!

• 1 month later...
kittykat23uk

Well it was a very tedious jouney up but we finally arrived at our base for the weekend, a nice little airbnb about 1/2 hour drive from seahouses set in some beautiful farmland.. typically the weather for the last hour of the journey was tipping down but we are hopeful that the weather is going to be better tomorrowfor our all day birdwatch.  

For now we've driven a mile or so down the road to the Barn at Beal for dinner. :)

@kittykat23uk I keep seeing numbers of what look like a near relative of regulus regulus on the shady side of my friends' house overlooking Morlaix Bay. Same size as the gold crest but without the crest (so probably females) and they shoot around at such a rate that I've failed miserably at getting any pictures.

Good luck with the puffins.

kittykat23uk

Thanks @JohnR could be juveniles?  Female have the crest too. Not sure what other goldcrest-like birds you get in Brittany?  🤔 Maybe worth checking melodious warbler?

Well we had a fantastic first day with the all day birdwatch and broken cloud. I shall probably bore you all to death with the many photos of puffins etc. I somehow managed to take over 4000 shots trying to get those images of puffins flying in with sand eels and still barely managed anything usable! 

Our second day was a little disappointing,  as too much swell meant our boat trip to Holy island was cancelled. I had hoped to see more seabirds and possibly even some cetaceans on the journey out but it was not to be sadly.

So we instead drove across the causeway to the island. First stop was the winery where I imbibed a modicum of flavoured mead and rum plus some mini cocktail shots as the barman was working his pitch well to sell me a few bottles. After that I didn't much care about missing our boat trip! :)