Limpopo-Lipadi Botswana

ElaineAust

ElaineAust

1) Name of property and country: Limpopo-Lipadi Game Reserve

2) Website address if known:www.limpopo-lipadi.org

3) Date of stay, including whether Green Season, Shoulder season or High season pricing (if known). May 6 -11, 2019

4) Length of stay: 6 nights

5) Why did you choose this camp or lodge to stay in? Based upon what? I love the Tuli area of Botswana & have been trying to arrange a stay at Limpopo-Lipadi for a long time.  The private conservation reserve model appeals to me. And No Single Supplement this trip.

6) How did you book the property, direct or agent? Were your enquiries dealt with quickly and efficiently? Booked direct with the property and all communications were prompt and friendly.

7) How many times have you been on Safari? 20 plus times.

8) To which countries? South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Namibia, Kenya, Ghana.

9) Which properties have you been to previously that you are comparing this one to? None.  These are self contained houses and not tents or chalets.

10) Was the camp/lodge fenced? Yes, predator fencing around camp and reserve was game fenced.

11) How many rooms/tents does it have? 7 houses. 4 x two bedroom and 3 x 3 bedroom I think.

12) What tent or room did you stay in? Did it have a good view? Was it overlooked or private? House 3.  Outlook over the Limpopo River.  Very private. Small game around lodge so keep the doors closed.

13) How comfortably furnished was the room/tent? Very comfortable.  Great beds. This was a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom house and also 2 outdoor showers.  Well furnished.  Lounge/dining area.  BBQ, firepit and seating near river. Separate fully equipped kitchen.  With cook. Thank you Kitty. And private vehicle and guide.

14) Did you like the food? If yes, please state why. If no, please state why. Food was fresh and well made. Excellent soups. Meal timings are negotiable. For example, I made myself a light breakfast early in the morning and we returned to camp about 11:30 and a light lunch was served at about 12:30 and dinner at 7:00 pm or later if requested (or if late back from the drive).

15) Was there a varied menu offering multiple choice? If vegetarian was a suitable alternative offered? (Did you have to request this in advance?) I chatted with my cook on arrival and organised meal preferences.  

16) What is the default dining arrangement? Single tables or communal dining? Do the guides/managers host at mealtimes? This is your own private house but I do know that groups travelling together can dine at the communal area near the pool. Guides or managers will dine with you if you request this.

17) How good were the packed breakfasts/lunches if staying out on game drives? Not applicable to this trip.

18) What are the game drive vehicles? Please include photo if possible. The game vehicle was a Landcruiser and without a doubt the best safari vehicle I have ever been in. 11 seats, all bucket style and good storage.  And all for just me!!!

19) How many guests per row? 3.  Or just one for the entire vehicle in this case.

20) How long were the game drives and were they varied in the routes taken? Morning drive was from 6:30 until about 11 - 11:30.  Afternoon drive from 3:30-4:00 until about 7:00. But very flexible. Routes could have been more varied but we were tracking the lions.

21) What are the standard game drive times? Are game drive times flexible: i.e., if agreed in advance, can you go out earlier than suggested and stay out later, i.e., not returning for lunch but taking supplies with you?  Yes.  Very flexible.

22) Is this a private conservancy/concession, and what is the vehicle/lodge density like? Private conservancy.  Only saw one other game vehicle while out and that was at the lion and dog sightings.

23) If in a National Park, what is the vehicle density in the immediate vicinity? N/A

24) Are you able to off-road? Yes.  This is a private conservancy.

25) Are there rotation policies for sightings i.e., You face the risk of queuing or being bumped from a sighting. Not applicable in this case.

26) What wildlife is this property known for? Did you get good sightings? 2 sightings of brown hyenas ( a first for me).  Excellent white rhino and general game.  2 leopards.  The list goes on.

27) How was the standard of guiding? Very good but he was a bit obsessed with the lions.  

28) If you had a bad experience with a guide, why? Did you report the issue to management, and if so, how did they deal with the issue? Some subtle suggestions regarding leaving the lions for another day and hitting the bird parties.

29) If you had a very good experience with your guide, please give reasons why:

30) Were staff attentive to your requests/needs? Lovely staff.  Who needs more than a cold Savannah and a bowl of soup?

31) Does the property support a local community conservation initiative. If so, please provide brief details and website address if known. Yes.  I do not have details of these initiatives but they include some local schools (school supplies gratefully accepted)

32) Safaritalk trip report link: But I am busy planning my next trip!!!

33) Any other pertinent details you wish to add: This is a great value camp and would suit a family or friend groups or even a solo traveller like myself.

34) Please add your photographs of the property below, with headings.

P1000400.JPG

P1000404.JPG

P1000454.JPG

P1000470.JPG

P1000474.JPG

African Flying Adventures

Thank you for the report. I have been to Limpopo-Lipadi as well last year October for the first time. I stayed in River Lodge as you did and really enjoyed it there. Lovely people and game reserve and great initiative.

ElaineAust

Hi @African Flying Adventures

Yes LL is a very interesting place. Just booked another trip in November of this year and hoping to increase my bird count,

Cheers

Elaine

African Flying Adventures

Will be there on the 29-31st of October. Enjoy your next stay. What I enjoyed is to go along with the anti-poaching unit to see the rhinos. 

See here a video I did sneaking up on the rhinos at Limpopo-Lipadi.

Video sneaking up on rhinos

Atravelynn
3 hours ago, African Flying Adventures said:

Will be there on the 29-31st of October. Enjoy your next stay. What I enjoyed is to go along with the anti-poaching unit to see the rhinos. 

See here a video I did sneaking up on the rhinos at Limpopo-Lipadi.

Video sneaking up on rhinos

What I liked is that they remained grazing with little interruption.