2017 BC & Alberta Rockies parks safari

melproffit

Instead of using my time to break the pics from this trip up into the appropriate sub topics, I am going to create a photo "trip report" from this amazing adventure through the NP's of BC & Alberta Rockies. Hope someone enjoys.

Outside Cranbrook, BC

P1000500.JPG

P1000607.JPG

P1000672.JPG

Please tell us where you went and stayed. Thrilling to see a wolf!

Atravelynn-putting together the list of where we stayed will take a bit of time. But I'll get it on here. Unfortunately, the wolf in the pic is actually a coyote. Adding more photos today.

Kootenay NP, BC

The rams in the grass was in the town of Radium Hot Springs. There every evening.

P1000694.JPG

P1000728.JPG

P1000713.JPG

P1000742.JPG

P1000751.JPG

P1000774.JPG

Kootenay NP, BC

The Grizzly was in the same field for at least 5 hours just mowing down dandelions.

P1000780.JPG

P1000792.JPG

P1000809.JPG

P1000815.JPG

P1000849.JPG

Bow Valley Parkway, outside Canmore, AB 

Road runs from Banff to Lake Louise through Banff NP. an amazing drive

P1010035.JPG

P1010036.JPG

P1010037.JPG

27 minutes ago, melproffit said:

Unfortunately, the wolf in the pic is actually a coyote. 

That's what I thought when I looked at the picture. But then I thought: Who I am to question an American when it comes to differentiating between a wolf and a coyote...

Kananaski Trail/Hwy 40 loop drive, outside Canmore, AB

another outstanding option for wildlife viewing in the area. we watched the grizzly in these pics for over an hour. easily the largest Grizzly/Brown Bear I've ever encountered.

P1000973.JPG

P1000977.JPG

P1000985.JPG

P1000994.JPG

P1000996.JPG

DSCN9070.JPG

Lake Minnewanka, AB

P1010099.JPG

DSCN9121.JPG

Yoho NP, BC

outstanding park somewhat ignored due to proximity to Banff and Jasper.

These Mountain Goats were on a hillside directly above a sign saying Mountain Goat area

P1010245.JPG

DSCN9205.JPG

P1010264.JPG

P1010284.JPG

P1010294.JPG

P1010303.JPG

DSCN9229.JPG

Bow Lake hike, Banff NP, AB

this Marmot seemed pretty used to people walking by his home. not nervous at all, I think he was hoping for a little treat. 

P1010384.JPG

DSCN9252.JPG

Icefields Parkway, AB between Lake Louise and Saskatchewan River Crossing

numerous bear sightings on this drive. outstanding scenic road.

P1010334.JPG

P1010353.JPG

DSCN9236.JPG

Jasper NP, AB

P1010537.JPG

P1010550.JPG

P1010585.JPG

P1010592.JPG

P1010607.JPG

P1010611.JPG

P1010614.JPG

P1010617.JPG

as requested, a bit of detail on path and accommodations. all driving trip and began in Seattle

nt 1-Hope, BC  SkagIt Motor Inn

nt 2-Nelson, BC Prestige Hotel

nt 3-Pincher Creek, AB Herritage Inn at Pincher Creek

nt 4-8-Cranbrook, BC  3 Bars Ranch  this is an outstanding horse ranch with great staff, scenery, and activities. anyone into riding would love this place

nt 9-Big Horn Meadows Resort    really nice place

nt 10-12-Canmore, AB  Solara Resort   newish condos really well appointed   Canmore is great base for Banff NP and surrounding area

nt 13-Field, BC we rented a cabin through VRBO-Burgess Lookout Cabin   Field is a speck of a town with one really outstanding restaurant(Truffle Pigs-great pie!)

nt 14-Saskatchewan River Crossing, AB  The Crossing Resort   dated, somewhat uncomfortable rooms  not really a resort  good food and laundry facilities

nt15-17-Jasper, AB  Pine Bungalows   basic cabins without TV or WI-FI   perfectly comfortable

nt 18-Golden, BC  Prestige Inn

nt 19-Salmon Arm, BC could not locate name of accommodation

nt 20-Boston Bar, BC  Old Towne Inn and Grill   really funky cabin stay  very old western/grandmas house feel   excellent homestyle food in the Grill

in addition to Banff and Jasper NP's, we visited Yoho NP, Revelstoke NP, and Glacier NP of Canada(different than Glacier NP in Montana

Thanks for the report @melproffit.  Jasper is one of my all time favorite locations but now I have to see Yoho.  Did I miss when in 2017 you were there?

We were on this trip through the last 3 weeks of June '17. seemed like a great time to go. not to hot/cool or crowded since few province schools were out yet(we think)