Mo(e) cheetah tracking tales; Winter's last Hurrah in drought struck Northern Botswana; From Kwena Lagoon to Twin Pools and everywhere in between - A Kwando Safari: August, 2019

madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Many Thanks and Kudos to My Friends and Guides over many many Years ...... Spencer and Moeti!!! Great sightings and a lot of laughs as always ..............  I have not much to say, except that I will slowly add photos that I edit.

I had to be in Gaborone for work in lieu with the Botswana Global Expo in early August and Yes, President Masisi's speech was absolutely captivating at the opening of the event.  So, I was able to get away to a week long safari in the Kwando concession.

Here's the first batch of photos ......  After having no luck with cheetah last year (a rarity; and yes we did look everywhere from Termite mound to Camel thorn and Leadwood tree marking posts) ........ We had the boys every day and easily!!!! 

2019LL1 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL2 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL3 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL4 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL5 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL6 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL7 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL8 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL9 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL10 (1 of 1).jpg

Great photographs, as usual Hari. Waiting for more.

That photograph of the cheetah marking its territory. Is the (orangish) discolouration of the tree because it is a regular marking spot?

Do share details on camps, lodges and the like.

Glad you found your Boys again Hari. No need to say but still - fantastic photos, especially like the Sable!

You are so lucky! i wish my work brings me to Africa all the time.

are you back in Splash again? 

as always, fabulous images and great the cheetahs came out for you this time round. And dogs, and sable! totally jealous at this moment. 

looking forward to more. 

madaboutcheetah

Thanks a lot, guys

@Earthian - Thanks a lot.  The camps are Kwando Lagoon and Lebala in the Kwando concession ........  The tree - that is one of their central marking posts....... I think that's the bark of the tree in the evening light.  

Thanks @michael-ibk - That particular sable comes to the lagoon in front of camp to drink every afternoon.  Lucky to find him photogenic early afternoon when we set out.

@Kitsafari - Can't wait to read your Gabon Trip report ......... Thanks.  No Splash for me - this was Kwando Lagoon and Lebala.

@madaboutcheetah..Oh Boy!  We are just over a year to go.  We have requested Spencer so if you have any pull.......   And, looking forward to more of this report!!!!!

madaboutcheetah

Did I mention Puppies???? ....... Lo and behold - the pack of two that's been around Lebala for the past 2-3 years have 7 pups at the moment and the pups are mobile and eating solid meat with the alpha pair being Prolific hunters feeding the pack .......... They also hunt around camp a lot.  Let's hope they can thrive in a Lion dense area at the moment.

2019LL11 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL12 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL13 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL14 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL15 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL16 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL17 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL18 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL19 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL20 (1 of 1).jpg

Those flies are really irritating the cheetah ! and those pups look well fed at the moment; fingers crossed for them.

Looks a wonderful trip with superb photos as usual, Hari. Thanks for sharing with us.

The man with the most comprehensive trip report titles is back at it!  Cheetah and wild dogs are a fine start with a sable galloping by!

Wonderful to see your photos as always Hari. A very fruitful safari.

Lovely pictures! Cheetahs, dogs and even pups, looks like a very successful safari!

madaboutcheetah

Thanks a lot @Atravelynn @LarsS @Soukous @marg @wilddog

In this next instalment - the big buffalo herd (I saw what looked like a mega herd from the air as I flew in from Maun) - but, finally caught up with the herd a few days later as they came down to drink in the late morning.   As they came in through the woodland to the water I couldn't help but remember my experience at Chitake Springs in Mana pools a few years ago.

2019LL21 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL22 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL23 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL24 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL25 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL26 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL27 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL28 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL29 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL30 (1 of 1).jpg

madaboutcheetah

Next batch....... Hmmm That's definitely one of their central marking posts ;) 

2019LL31 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL32 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL33 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL34 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL35 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL36 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL37 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL38 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL39 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL40 (1 of 1).jpg

Fantastic pics thanks @madaboutcheetah.Love the 4th photo in post 13 of the cheetah brothers?

Did you see many lions?

madaboutcheetah

Thanks a lot

aardvark I've never ever seen. 

@Hads - yes lions all over the place at the moment. Will edit pics shortly..... 

wow an awesome shot of the handsome sable!

madaboutcheetah

Thanks a lot @Kitsafari

Next instalment - The Holy Pride at Lagoon ...........  So many cubs at the moment! and some of the females with smaller cubs haven't rejoined the pride yet.  We saw those early one morning - but, didn't stop as we were rushing to track cheetah before they would slip away (so we radioed the other vehicles to the location which happened to be Grass pan/ giraffe pan that general location for those who know the concession well).

2019LL41 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL42 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL43 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL44 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL45 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL46 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL47 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL48 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL49 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL50 (1 of 1).jpg

madaboutcheetah

Next batch of images ......... a photogenic Roan caught my eye!

2019LL51 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL52 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL53 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL59 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL54 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL55 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL56 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL57 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL58 (1 of 1).jpg

2019LL60 (1 of 1).jpg

Great photos as always Hari. Hope Spencer is well? Where did you stay in Gaborone? We will have to stay there one night before an early morning flight to Maun. Did you take that Maun  flight? Pen 

madaboutcheetah

Thanks @penolva - I stayed at the Masa square hotel.  It’s in the CBD about 15 minutes from the airport.  Reason I stayed there - had meetings next door at the Botswana Investment and Trade center building ..... it has a few shops and restaurants next to the hotel.  

Yes my flight to Maun was early in the morning from Gaborone and it was seamless and easy.   Oddly, that same flight proceeded to kasane from Maun (air Bots) .... 

Edited by madaboutcheetah

2 minutes ago, madaboutcheetah said:

Thanks @penolva - I stayed at the Masa square hotel.  It’s in the CBD about 15 minutes from the airport.  Reason I stayed there - had meetings next door at the Botswana Investment and Trade center building ..... it has a few shops and restaurants next to the hotel.  

Yes my flight to Maun was in the morning from Gaborone and it was seamless and easy. 

Thanks Hari . Will look at that hotel. With such an early flight being near the airport is vital. We have to do that overnight because the flight from Windhoek to Maun stopped operating. Pen 

madaboutcheetah

@penolva - it really wasn’t a problem.... hotel organised a drop off in the morning. You don’t need to be super early - the check in staff took their own sweet time to open the counters.

@madaboutcheetahGreat thanks. We were worried about missing that flight and its too far to drive to Maun in one day. Pen

Amylovescritters

Amazing photos... hoping the best for the dogs.

@madaboutcheetah thanks for the update....we will be at Kwara and Lebala in December....is Kwara ready for opening?