International Driving Licence

Dave Williams

Dave Williams

I have never bothered in the past and never even asked for one even when stopped by the police in Morocco ( mind you the officer was a bit perplexed by my old style paper licence and I didn't have any photo ID)  but I was surprised to see that I should have had one for some places I have driven including there, unless the changes are recent.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit

No doubt the rules differ depending which your home country is, certainly it looks highly likely that Brits driving in Europe will soon need one and no doubt it will be the opposite way for the rest of Europe in a tit for tat move.

Anyway, they are very inexpensive, just a pain having to bother.

I shall arrange on for my upcoming South Africa trip just to make sure we are covered if needed.

I always carry an International Driving Licence but this year, once again, it wasn´t necessary to pick up rental car at Joburg airport, my only concern is in case the police sops me that can be an excuse to raise an issue, but in the past when I was stoped by the police in SA I handed the IDL and they didn´t care about it, I had to present my national Driving Licence.

Towlersonsafari

Hi there, @Dave Williams  as you probably know it is an offence to drive in SA without having your driving ,licence on you-as long as you have one of the photocard ones you will be fine-we have not had an international driving permit since 1997, from memory. -and when stopped they just ask to see the UK one

Edited by Towlersonsafari

I have a valid IDP for many years, I just extend it (get a new one) when the older becomes invalid. And I have it as part of my travel documents no matter where I am planning to go, and what are the local regulations.

Dave Williams

@Towlersonsafari You might need one soon! I only have a paper one still. I wasn't going to get a photo one as you have to change it regularly I think. I'll need to get one soon as my big 70 is on the horizon.:unsure:

I got in a pickle a few years ago. Had just moved to the UK from the US and my EU driver license was expiring. My country rules were that if I lived outside my country, but in the EU, I should get a drivers' license from the country I was living in. However, the UK would only allow me to get a UK driver license if I was a resident, ie had been living there for at least 6 months. So I had to pretend for my home country to still live in the US (by sending them a copy of a some kind of bill with my adress on it). This worked, but stupid me then lost my new license half a year later, so now I have a UK now. I wonder, what will happen if I move back/with the EU. Oh well...

Dave Williams

You will need an IDP in all probability... if Brexit happens. What's irritating is there are a few different ones it seems and the one I have just got to cover South Africa isn't the one I might need for Spain next year!!