Safari Rhino (video report)

Brian's Art for Animals

Brian's Art for Animals

This is episode one of the first part of my recent trip to India. The first section will be SAFARI RHINO (filmed at Kaziranga in Feb 2019) and then soon on another thread will be SAFARI TIGER filmed just after at Ranthambore. Both parks were excellent choices to see the animals. I really enjoyed the slower pace at Kaziranga as it felt almost like an African safari. you had plenty of wildlife. Vedant at Tiger Journey did an amazing job in putting this trip together. But hey, enough of me talking..let's start this journey :)

https://youtu.be/kWNuyY3f11g

Rhinos all over the world for you!  About time you got to Kaziranga for that chubby unicorn.

@sek07 is looking to travel to 2 parks in India and has an interest in Kaziranga.  Looks like you did that with Rathambhore as your other park.  Can you share how many days in each park and the outline of your itinerary?

Edited by Atravelynn

Brian's Art for Animals

Sure thing (hope to go back to Bandhavgarh and Ranthambore -3 days at each park, in April-May 2021 when it is nice and hot and tigers are at the water holes. Here was my plan booked by Tiger Journey:

Day 1- Arrival Delhi Airport, then board the 2 and a half hour flight for Guwahati. Then 4.5 hour drive to Kaziranga National Park.

Day 2 -  Kaziranga National Park am-pm drives.

Day 3 -  Kaziranga National Park am visit to Hoollangapar WLS for Gibbons (2 hours from park). - PM drive Kaziranga.

Day 4 - Kaziranga AM Elephant safari then drive, then normal PM drive.

Day 5 - Drive back to to Guwahati airport to board the flight for Jaipur. 2 and ½ Hours Flight to Jaipur . Check in over night Hotel .

Day 6 - In Jaipur I visited Amber Fort & Nahargarh Forts a few other sites. PM drive 3 hour drive to to to Ranthambore.

Day 7 - Ranthambhore National Park AM-PM Safari drives.

Day 8- Ranthambore National Park AM-PM drives.

Day 9 - AM drive Ranthambore - short drive Sawai Madhopur Railway Station for 6 hour train to Delhi and then Delhi international flight home.

4 nights Kaziranga; 3 nights Ranthambhore

Can you comment on the sufficiency of time in each park?  You must feel 3 nights is enough since your next trip has a pair of three-nighters.

That's great you are going back again!

How many trips have you done with Tiger Journey and why did you chose them?

Brian's Art for Animals

I feel 3 days (6 drives total in am&pm) is a good enough time to get a feel for a park and see a tiger and or rhino. It also works for me since I can only ask off 2 weeks at my job. So I have to limit the amount of time I am on the trip as well. I met Vedant on my first trip to India with you. He is the nephew of the excellent guide we had on that trip. I like that they give back to the local schools near the Tala Zone. It is a small operation so you can get your emails answered and plan the trip the way you want it to be planned. It helps using an agent in India I think since they know how to get you in the right zones for best chances.

• 2 weeks later...
Brian's Art for Animals

This is video of my first drive inside Kaziranga. We entered the Central Zone (one of four zones.) As you can see, I had no problem finding plenty of rhinos. something that when I read reviews for this park (trip advisor etc...), some people said that it was hard to do in a jeep, and that you must take an elephant safari. Not sure for their experience, but for me it was like shooting fish in a barrel in this park. Plenty of rhino of rhino from the jeep.

Enjoy. It was my first time seeing Asian elephants, water buffalo, and many more animals in the wild.

• 2 weeks later...
Brian's Art for Animals

2nd drive. This time in the most popular of the 4 zones, the Western Zone. This zone provided many rhino sightings. I  might have seen one other jeep the whole 3-4 hours we were driving around sitting with rhino.

• 2 weeks later...
Brian's Art for Animals

On my second full day at Kaziranga, we decided to start early 4:45am to drive the two hours to get to the Gibbon Sanctuary (pretty much an 8sq mile section of forest cut off due to tea plantations) to go on a hike to look for India's only ape. Well worth the time!!

• 3 weeks later...
Brian's Art for Animals

3rd drive in the park. This time to the Eastern Zone, which proved to be lucky for a rare tiger sighting.

• 2 weeks later...
Brian's Art for Animals

This time I got back to the western zone to see more rhino..but on elephant back. (What do you all think about it?)

• 3 weeks later...
Brian's Art for Animals

back in the jeep and back in the central zone.

• 2 weeks later...