Alaska/Katmi bear trip

Rick Cope

August 14,2019. Bear trip to Katmi with Emerald Air Service out of Homer.

GREAT trip! Had about 30 different bear encounters.The bears were busy feeding on salmon and as long as we behaved our selves they barley gave us a look.They did of course know we were there.They came as close as 12 steps or about 10 yards away. We did not approach them but they were everywhere. The first one charging in my direction was a rush.Lucky for me he was only after a salmon . We had a beautiful flight seeing seven active volcanoes along with  the scenery that is Alaska. After a one hour twenty minute flight we landed on a remote lake in Katmi. We hiked about 5.5 miles over 5 plus hours being with the bears.  Not a professional photographer by far. Actually some of these photos and videos ( hope they load) were taken with cell phones. An experience we will never forget.

Hope you enjoy.

Rick

DSCN0008.JPG

DSCN0009.JPG

DSCN0010.JPG

DSCN0002.JPG

DSCN0003.JPG

DSCN0004.JPG

DSCN0005.JPG

DSCN0006.JPG

Botswanadreams

Where have you been in Katmai? Beautiful bear encounters.

I realized after the post that there are some, more than some , doubles sorry about that.

DSCN2087 - Copy.JPG

DSCN2090 - Copy.JPG

DSCN2091 - Copy.JPG

DSCN2093 - Copy.JPG

DSCN2094.JPG

DSCN2098.JPG

Great photos.  It looks like you had a very exciting experience with a lot of Bears.

@Rick Cope what a fantastic bear-watching experience and wonderful photos too. Thanks for sharing.

Fantastic trip and sightings. Who did you arrange that trip with

Excellent sightings of bears, looks like a great experience 

I love bears!  Such personality!  Really comes through in the photos!  Thanks for sharing!

Happy to see Emerald Air is still delivering! We went on that same trip with them way back in 2008 and it was one of my most memorable days ever. Great photos, looks like you got even closer to the bears than we did.

Thanks so much for sharing! A bear trip to Alaska is on my bucket list for sure! 

Janzin

Emerald air service was sold. These folks now use a  Dehavlin Otter  verses a Beaver. They now hold 10 verses 6. I told them when I booked that 6 was the limit and that is why I booked with Emerald. I asked them to honor that and they did.

Just a couple more. Could not load movies, wrong format. The one here with the salmon in its mouth was movied by my wifes cell phone chasing this salmon down the stream. When he left I stepped it out to where he was. Twelve steps about 10 yards away. Unreal.

DSCN2060.JPG

DSCN2089_Trim_Moment - Copy.jpg

IMG_1987.JPG

Thanks for the comments

We could have fancier cars or bigger houses. They grow old, need repaired or replaced. Vacations, seeing and living give us memories that never grow old.Photos are one thing but lack the emotion of being there. Live life, have experiences.

We are Fortunate and Blessed

All of that from 5 hours!  You really got a variety of bear shots but also impressive was the red Sockeye salmon swimming in the water, not just being ripped apart by the bears.  Looks like you had good weather for the 30-bear excursion.  What an exciting day!

Was this part of a longer Alaska trip?