Fabulous, Frustrating Madagascar

janzin

13 hours ago, Galana said:

I would like to put it back on but the old egg-timer is getting short of sand

If the sand somehow replenishes let me know.

Thank you for a wonderful report, very positive about the country but also honest about the difficulties. You also brought back lots of positive memories for us.

As always your photos are stunning, and an education to those of us trying to improve.

I know that we are temperamentally unsuited to such a group trip, but can see that they work well for many people. (And we have enjoyed them in the past).

When we went, we had private guides and vehicle but we were not birders then, just an interest in wildlife and nature generally. All our guides were Malagasy and we really enjoyed talking about the culture and beliefs. It can really make you challenge your own assumptions and the way you think.

Again thank you for an excellent report

Great report @janzin.  It was so interesting to read your experiences vs ours.  It gives me a bit of hope that maybe our experiences were worse than average and we just got unlucky which can happen.  Of course, we went to different locations and stayed at different lodging in the locations we did share.  For trips like this, the lodging and guides can make or break it.

Anyway, thanks for doing a report and sharing all your fantastic photos.

Alan

Thanks for this report @janzin, certainly fascinating and the pros and cons are well described. Between the challenges of this trip, and the apparent issues with the full day permits in India at the moment (unless that has been resolved), I'm wondering what type of issues you're going to bring to the group in Svalbard! :P

22 minutes ago, Zubbie15 said:

Thanks for this report @janzin, certainly fascinating and the pros and cons are well described. Between the challenges of this trip, and the apparent issues with the full day permits in India at the moment (unless that has been resolved), I'm wondering what type of issues you're going to bring to the group in Svalbard! :P

hmmm I'm not sure what you are implying here--I don't think I'm a jinx! :wacko: Anyway I take no responsibility for Svalbard!

The full day permits in India are not resolved, at least not in the sense that you mean--they are changed as stated and nothing we can do about it except make the best of it. We've been told that Zone 6,  where you can go midday, is very active so I'm not too worried. But getting off-topic here!

Great report, @janzin .  I thoroughly enjoyed it..  “Conundrum” is the perfect word to describe your feelings about a trip to Madagascar. I still haven’t made up my mind as to how I’d like to do it, if we do go, although I suspect I will fall back on my preferred method of selecting just a few places and traveling quite slowly. 

Tell me, were you happy with your lens choices?  Anything you would have done differently in that regard?

2 hours ago, Alexander33 said:

Tell me, were you happy with your lens choices?  Anything you would have done differently in that regard?

Actually for once I made the right choice in lenses :) The 200-500 was the perfect option for this trip, as I really needed that zoom to enable photographing both lemurs and birds. The 500mm would have been too limiting. Alan was using the Tamron 150-600 and that was a good choice as well. 

I'm also glad that I had the macro lens on the Fuji XT-30 as I was able to carry both cameras at times, although in the rainforest that wasn't easy. But I did need that macro lens for insects and most of the lizards. And it definitely would have been too cumbersome to carry another DSLR with a macro. Only wish I'd had more opportunity to use it!

Oh that's interesting, since I find my 100-400 covers insects and reptiles very well. 

6 hours ago, kittykat23uk said:

Oh that's interesting, since I find my 100-400 covers insects and reptiles very well. 

The 200-500 is fine for larger critters and those at some distance but not good for the small stuff, like Giraffe Weevil, those micro-chameleons, etc.  Its minimum focus distance is about 7 feet (2.2m). I did use it for some of the chameleon shots when I could step further away. And its great for dragonflies and butterflies that you can't approach to closely. But I think your lens focuses much closer. 

Yes, 1.3 metres. 

On 1/14/2020 at 3:14 PM, kittykat23uk said:

Yes, 1.3 metres. 

Wow, that is even better than Nikon AF-S 300D which MFD is 1,45 m.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing with us.  I know you were debating about doing a report.  I am only up to the moderate pace comment and the stunning mother and baby lemur.  Your itinerary and map will be most helpful.  Being told your itinerary must change and flights no longer flew would only add to the frustration part of the trip.

9 hours ago, Atravelynn said:

Thanks for sharing with us.  I know you were debating about doing a report.  I am only up to the moderate pace comment and the stunning mother and baby lemur.  Your itinerary and map will be most helpful.  Being told your itinerary must change and flights no longer flew would only add to the frustration part of the trip.

@Atravelynn Thanks for checking in :)

The color-coded map and itinerary was a page from your book :)  I always appreciate the comprehensive details you put into your reports!