TIGER SAFARI 5 drives in Ranthambore

Brian's Art for Animals

Brian's Art for Animals

After seeing plenty of Rhino at Kaziranga, I had a day off in beautiful Jaipur as seen here:

And then it was time to visit Ranthambore. My first time in this famous National Park. I was staying at the outstanding Ranthambore Kothi. It was off the main road which was very nice. My first of my 5 drives is in zone 2 and as you can see, I was off to a nice start. Even without a tiger sighting.

• 3 weeks later...
Brian's Art for Animals

Second drive. PM drive in Zone 3. (Most popular zone) We saw "Arrowhead" with her two cubs. This is lmost a year old, so i hope both cubs grew up safely. For me it was an amazing time. Almost ruined though by jeep mates (In Ranthambore you have to share the jeep as too much $$ to rent all by yourself).. myself and a photographer from Italy wanted to stay and watch the mother as two tourist in the back seats wanted to leave after about 20 seconds...needless to say the guide and driver took our side and we stayed the whole 25 or so minutes she hung out with us with her cubs. I will never forget this sighting.

Nice videos, really brings back memories from our visit last March. We must have been there around the same time, although for us Arrowhead had just made a kill in an inaccessible area and we never got a particularly good look at the little ones. 

I'm surprised about your comment about sharing a jeep, how much more expensive was it to have a private one? We certainly had a private jeep, but I never asked for a specific breakdown of costs. Your experience with the ones who wanted to leave so quickly definitely makes me hesitant to share fans drives with strangers! 

Thanks for the videos Brian.  Reminds me of my trip there a few years ago, unfortunately absent the Tigers.  I have had pretty good luck on most safaris but for some reason Ranthambore was not kind to us in regards to tiger sightings.  Granted I was only there for 3 days as a side trip after business meetings.  Still I found it a nice park and we did get to see other game including a large sloth bear.   I was also in a vehicle with many others and it can be disappointing how others act sometimes.  There were some people that wanted the driver to try to bait a juvenile bull elephant into charging or at leas mock charging.  Luckily, the driver would have none of that.  While I have been mostly lucky when sharing game drives, once and a while you just have to shake your head.  

Brian's Art for Animals

For sure, drives can be very interesting. In Bandhavgarh I am able to get a jeep all to myself. But here in Ranthambore I guess the price as too much (My contact at Tiger Journey took care of all of that so I don't know the exact prices.) I know he did book two seats for me, but the photographer was having such a hard time using his big camera with the two in the back, he came up front with me in my seats. On my last drive I had small loud sometimes crying children which wasn't fun, but as you will soon see in that video (coming soon)..sometimes the strangest things happen.

Botswanadreams
12 minutes ago, Brian's Art for Animals said:

But here in Ranthambore I guess the price as too much

An exclusiv safari in Ranthambore should be something at US$ 60 additional cost to only one seat in a Gipsy for each morning and evening safari.  

• 2 weeks later...
Brian's Art for Animals

This is our third drive.. we are now in zone 4...

• 2 weeks later...
Brian's Art for Animals

zone 5.. even in the rain, safari drives can be awesome. A leopard kills a peahen.

Edited by Brian's Art for Animals

Love these videos! We just returned from Ranthambhore about two weeks ago and its really bringing me back to its beauty and tranquility (well, tranquil when there isn't a cat sighting lol.) Which I sorely need during these stressful times. And yes, Arrowhead's two cubs are now grown, healthy and still hanging with mom for now! We saw them a few times, when I eventually get to my report there will be photos :)

Talking of Arrowhead's cubs, this was them in November.

Excuse the shouting at the end of the video. Our driver was not very responsive. :angry:

• 3 weeks later...
Brian's Art for Animals

very nice..looks like those cubs are growing up just fine.

Drivers never seem to understand the concept of just siting still for a while.

Here is my final drive, and the first drive for me in Zone 1. The guide said we saw Tiger 105..but the stripes did not match up once i got home and researched. It looks like we saw T107 which the Ranthambore page calls Aleph, but i see she is called Sultana?.. at any rate she is a beautiful tigress!

Nice tiger and the black hawks hat.

The tiger you saw during your final drive was definitely T107. Her official name, given by the forest department, is Aleph but almost everyone calls her Sultana because the territory she holds in zone 1 is called Sultanpur.

Brian's Art for Animals

ok thanks. i was confused by this. Our guide said T-105 ..but i checked my photos and T-107 has such odd looking patterns on her side, that i knew it was T-107. She was a beauty, and we all were so happy to see her. All the animals in this video minus 2-3 more birds and one more deer where all the animals we saw on that long 4 hour drive or so. It was going to be my least favorite drive of all my India trips, but then this beautiful tigress came out of the woods and made it one of the best :)