Id help

Peter Connan

Peter Connan

IMG-20200327-WA0062.jpg.37e20ffd256fbeb7cc2012790e295eb5.jpgA friend found this in his garden. Quite a large bird (he likens it to a Hadeda in size).

Help please

IMG-20200327-WA0062.jpg.37e20ffd256fbeb7cc2012790e295eb5.jpg

Edited by Peter Connan

michael-ibk

Odd, probably not a native bird. My first thought was juvenile Finfoot but it does not really match that.

Peter Connan

Thanks Michael.

I should have mentioned that I suspect this is not a local bird.

It was seen in an area of fairly affluent smallholdings (Kyalami, for those who know the country), so anything is possible.

Finfoot was my first thought too, but as you say, it doesn't match.

Kathryn@yoursafari

Hi everyone,

Are you sure it isn't a little grebe/dabchick?

I know you said that it was quite large but you only see 50-60% of birds when they are swimming around but out of context in a garden and stretching up a bit it might be easy to lose perspective?

The colours are right, the feathers have that glossy waterproof coating - what do you think?

Kathryn - Your Safari

I think Kathryn is right...it's a grebe. I hope it found its way back to water.

Definitely a juvenile grebe and I think little is the best fit, the black-necked grebe that's a bit larger and the great crested grebe much larger, don't match so well, I suspect your friend has overestimated the size, because you'd never normally see one so close.  

Peter Connan

Surely the neck is too long for any Grebe except Greater Crested?

@Peter Connan

Has the bird followed its destiny or is it still in the garden?

What happened?

Peter Connan

@Matias Cox, the bird was only seen once.