Magical Kruger NP in February.

JPS

Magical Kruger NP in February.

The COVID-19 situation brought us all a lot of issues this year, especially for the industry where I work in which is aviation.
It also brought some good things especially for our environment, air getting cleaner, animals more seen in areas where they normally will not be seen, and many more positive changes.

I was fortunate with my employer that they allowed me to run away from China where I work as an expatriate and could work remotely in Kruger National Park beginning of February 2020 as my holiday to Kgalagadi NP was planned in March anyway.
The reason why I choose Kruger NP was mainly due to the available internet at the campsites which you will not have at Kgalagadi NP.
A small concern was the period as the general reviews state that Kruger is not good in February. With that last statement, I do not agree after visiting in that period.

Why?

1) Fewer cars and less annoying behavior from other tourists.
2) The sceneries is better than I have ever seen in Kruger.
3) Birding combined with the sounds are fantastic.
4) After the rain falls the massive amount of frogs singing is truly magical.
5) Colors in the skies are at the best.
6) Pictures are more colorful.

I stayed in the park form 6 to 26 February

Campsites visited Skukuza-Tamboti-Satara-Letaba-Lower Sabie.

I created a short impression of February in Kruger, hope that you will enjoy it.

Highlights:

• Wild dog's standoff with Hyenas.
  • Leopard moving a kill from his tree to another tree.
  • Another leopard jumping in his tree to protect his kill from a vulture.
  • Lioness with a very shy small cub
  • Hyena walking away with a elephant feet.
  • Mammals practicing fighting skill
  • Male cheetah was very nervous looking for something, guess lost brother or potential girlfriend.
  • A large flock of quelea birds flying over the grass.

Pamshelton3932

Wow!  I really enjoyed your video.  I felt like I was traveling along with you.

Gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing!

3 hours ago, Pamshelton3932 said:

Wow!  I really enjoyed your video.  I felt like I was traveling along with you.

Thanks for your kind words

1 hour ago, mtanenbaum said:

Gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing!

Thanks for your kind feedback.

Yes, great video @JPS.  Hearing all the sounds from Kruger was fantastic not to mention the awesome wild dog encounters.  Oh, and that leopard lounging in the tree photo is awesome as well.

Alan

3 hours ago, Atdahl said:

Yes, great video @JPS.  Hearing all the sounds from Kruger was fantastic not to mention the awesome wild dog encounters.  Oh, and that leopard lounging in the tree photo is awesome as well.

Alan

Thanks for your kind words, indeed the sounds were so impressive after the rains in February, the huge amount of different frogs singeing plus the insects and gecko's assisting them was so impressive

Great video and editing :)... And you really captured the Kruger feeling. I been to Kruger 3 times (should have been 4 , but some virus ruined that) and end up staying longer each time....  And some great sightings, especially the wild dogs, really lucky...

@JPS Beautiful photos and video - you had wonderful sightings too! thank you for sharing - makes me ache to be back in Africa!

Peter Connan

Amazing sightings, great photos and a beautiful video!

Dave Williams

Great video, I hope you are going to give us a few more details, impressions of camps etc and what camera gear you took.

You have demonstrated your point about February beautifully. I got the impression that sightings would be more difficult as the grass would be longer but I have a feeling that it's probably easier to spot things when their camouflage is at it's least effective.

12 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Great video, I hope you are going to give us a few more details, impressions of camps etc and what camera gear you took.

You have demonstrated your point about February beautifully. I got the impression that sightings would be more difficult as the grass would be longer but I have a feeling that it's probably easier to spot things when their camouflage is at it's least effective.

Hi Dave,

Sure I can..

Camera gear canon 5DMIV Canon 600mm f4 lens - Canon 70-200 2.8 MII - Tamronn 15-30 2.8 Video canon X30.

Impressions from the camp best to look at https://www.sanparks.org/ as they give a good explanation with pictures and prices.

@JPS Very impressive, full of atmocphere road-blocks ;-) Which parts of Kruger have you been?

Peter Connan
18 hours ago, JPS said:

Tamronn 15-30 2.8

I have this lens too, and love it.

5 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

I have this lens too, and love it.

Yes the images are impressive, top lens indeed.

9 hours ago, ElenaH said:

@JPS Very impressive, full of atmocphere road-blocks ;-) Which parts of Kruger have you been?

Thanks for your feedback, I have been traveling the mid to north section.

image.png.9c8c0e471cc37d6447af00395690bc9e.png

Just now, JPS said:

north

.....South