MY UGANDAN ADVENTURE

ROBERT M HARDMAN

ROBERT M HARDMAN

IF ANYONE CAN HELP,

WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THESE BIRDS IF POSSIBLE - I THINK THE FIRST THREE ARE WEAVERS, LAST ONE MAY BE A THRUSH OF SOME SORT NOT SURE. THANKS.

Robert, I suspect it will help the experts if you can tell us when and where you saw them?

3 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

I suspect it will help the experts if you can tell us when and where you saw them?

Not just the experts as with Weavers location can change things around a lot.

e.g. #1 has a dark eye,

2 & 3 have yellow eyes so depending on location could be Northern Brown-throated or Lesser Masked to suggest but two..

4. Grey-headed Sparrow to me.

5. Not a Thrush but a Cisticola. My bet is on Winding. C.  galactotes. But again a location helps.

Hope you enjoyed your trip to the Pearl of Africa.

You owe @inyathia beer.

@GalanaThanks, for answering:)

Those answers pretty much coincide with my thoughts,

1)  I've not found a good answer for this first weaver with the dark-eye

2) probably lesser masked weavers

3) Northern grey-headed sparrow is my best guess

4) Winding cisticola

Edited by inyathi

1 hour ago, inyathi said:

1)  I've not found a good answer for this first weaver with the dark-eye

Me neither. Nothing really fits. I think you should use it on that other Forum. It would keep Nath busy!:o

Edit. It's a female Village Weaver.:D

I don't like that 3rd Weaver very much either. Look at the bill.

Edited by Galana

@GalanaYes, I did note the bill on that bird and think that would help me to find it, but it didn't, I'm not totally convinced that it's a good match with number 2 as it doesn't seem to have the wing bar, I think when it comes to beaks you really need to look at photos, because the size and shape of beaks is one thing I think artists aren't always great at getting right, certainly one weaver I looked at, the beak was much bigger in the illustration than in photos I looked at. I've just done what I should have done before and got a Uganda checklist from Avibase, just to make it slightly easier, so I'm hopefully not looking at species that don't live in Uganda, then I'll have a look at some photos on the African Bird Club's Image Database and see if that can provide answers, it's all good practice for the birding game. :) 

@GalanaI haven't had a thorough look at all the options yet, but I'm sure the dark-eye must indicate a juvenile/immature, at this point I might suggest Holub's golden weaver for no 1, on that basis, but I'll need to look at other options, the books don't tent to illustrate juveniles, so it's too easy to cross off a bird, because the adult has pale-eyes, unaware that that the juvenile has a dark-eyes. Will keep looking to see if I can find a better match for no 3.  

Well there seems to be no input from @ROBERT M HARDMANso far.

I think I remain comfortable with Village Weaver for #1 as I said last night.

#3 I think is Northern Masked as there is a lot of yellow in the primaries. Also noted in #2 so why not?:D

ROBERT M HARDMAN
On 10/27/2020 at 5:59 PM, ROBERT M HARDMAN said:

IF ANYONE CAN HELP,

WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THESE BIRDS IF POSSIBLE - I THINK THE FIRST THREE ARE WEAVERS, LAST ONE MAY BE A THRUSH OF SOME SORT NOT SURE. THANKS.

Yes, sorry people these were taken Jan/Feb 2017 near Entebbe. Taken your observations and suggestions on board thanks all.

ROBERT M HARDMAN
On 10/28/2020 at 8:06 PM, Galana said:

e.g. #1 has a dark eye,

2 & 3 have yellow eyes so depending on location could be Northern Brown-throated or Lesser Masked to suggest but two..

5. Not a Thrush but a Cisticola. My bet is on Winding. C.  galactotes. But again a location helps.

You owe @inyathia beer.

It was a trip of a lifetime thanks, I hope to publish some photos. Got some great shots - especially chimp safari SCARY.

On 10/28/2020 at 8:06 PM, Galana said:

e.g. #1 has a dark eye,

You owe @inyathia beer.

30 minutes ago, ROBERT M HARDMAN said:

near Entebbe.

That does help. I am even firmer for Northern Masked Weaver now.

The distribution of Lesser Masked does not include Entebbe (not that birds read books.)

I hope @inyathiagrees.

ROBERT M HARDMAN
26 minutes ago, Galana said:

That does help. I am even firmer for Northern Masked Weaver now.

The distribution of Lesser Masked does not include Entebbe (not that birds read books.)

I hope @inyathiagrees.

Cheers Galana - Gonna put some photos up from the experience what a place !!

@ROBERT M HARDMAN Will look forward to seeing more photos:) 

@GalanaWell I agree, but I have to say though, that the map on the Birdlife website doesn't, it suggests that Lesser masked should occur around Entebbe, the IUCN Red List has the same map, but Stevenson and Fanshawe's map which you are obviously looking at doesn't show it the vicinity Entebbe, I think then even if birds did read books, it would depend which books they read :lol:, I did also go to Avibase and look at a checklist for Wakiso which is the province that Entebbe is in and it does have Lesser masked on it, but that just means it should have been recorded in the province, not necessarily in Entebbe itself, but that's all getting a bit complicated. Actually, I'd be interested to see what the new edition of Stevenson and Fanshawe shows on its map, it's due out next month, I looked it up on NHBS in the hope of being able to look inside and they do show some pages, including a page of weavers, but annoyingly not the right page, as they have obviously changed the maps, they certainly needed improvement, they are no longer red, they are green and some are different colours I guess to indicate migrants and such and comparing just the handful of maps I can see online, with the old ones in the book, some of the distributions shown are clearly now different, I hope that means more accurate. Although, NHBS have knocked five pounds of the price, still having a sound enough copy of the original book and the app, I'm not sure I want to spend £29.99 to get the new one, especially if I'm not travelling to Africa too soon, but I'd still like to have a look at a copy. 

https://www.nhbs.com/birds-of-east-africa-book

Whatever different maps say, I'm happy to go along with what you suggest, I don't really have any grounds to argue. :)

8 hours ago, inyathi said:

I'm not sure I want to spend £29.99 to get the new one,

Me neither. My copy is the original hardback inscribed and presented to me by some grateful friends who I 'organised' on a trip way back in 2002. It stays at home and I can always borrow my friends if needed for anything 'tricky'. Not being bound to a book's authority on site is how you find birds that should not be there. :P