Amboseli and Tsavo West through my lens

optig

Since I'm fortunate enough to be in Kenya during the corona virus epidemic I decided to take advantage of the low rates, and go on another safari. I went to Amboseli and stayed for four nights at Tortilis Camp and then I went again four nights  to Finch Hatton's in Tsavo West. I enjoyed both camps immensely. I was surprised at just how luscious the food was at Tortilis Camp.I also have to say that I was pleasantly surprised in Amboseli by how much wildlife I saw apart from the elephants. There were so many pachyderms in and they were extremely relaxed. I also have to say that there were plenty of baby elephants in Amboseli. I can say in all sincerity that the Kenyan elephant population is truly growing. 

P1190672.JPG

P1190687.JPG

P1190696.JPG

P1190710.JPG

P1190715.JPG

P1190752.JPG

P1190765.JPG

P1190693.JPG

P1190695.JPG

P1190816.JPG

P1190825.JPG

P1190793.JPG

wow! amazing sighting @optig!  Are they all from Amboseli or from both parks?

@ElenaHI took photos at both Amboseli and Tsavo,I do have to say that the wildlife viewing especially for elephants was better at Amboseli.

@optig

A very sharp lens I must say and a pleasure to see in these bleak days !

@optigindeed photos are very good, I love the expression of a lion cub and a sunset with acacia (is it Acacia Tortilis? Umbrella thorn, Mosu)

Amboseli is known for excellent opportunities to make pictures of elephants with dramatic skies, etc... I have never been there and set it on my wish-list along with Mara and  Ndutu... Actually I've never been to Kenya and Tanzania. All my 14 trips were to Bots, SA, Nam, Zim and Zam. Now I bought travel guides for Kenya and Tanzania and want to know more about their parks ;-)

Where is cheetah from?

Amylovescritters

Looks wonderful.  I've stayed at Finch Hatton's before... Loved the hippo and croc action in camp. Considering a trip (Health Service deal to Ol Pejeta and Mara Naboisho via Doug MacDonald) in May. Had not planned on it but its such a great price. 

@ElenaH I was fortunate enough to see cheetahs in Amboseli. I would love to give you some ideas about where to go in Kenya and Tanzania. I only need to 

know what you want to see and have idea of your budget.

P1190682.JPG

P1190747.JPG

P1190767.JPG

P1190780.JPG

P1190885.JPG

P1190888.JPG

P1190941.JPG

P1190910.JPG

P1190943.JPG

P1190972.JPG

@optigWOW! nice shots! especially those two cheetahs and ostriches! but other shots are also good! Very close to lions!

I appreciate your help very much and will come back to you. Probably I will open a new topic where I will ask for ideas. At the moment I know I'd like to see and photogtaph a big open space with one tree, skies and elephants  (Amboseli?) Also Giraffes in the open space. There are no giraffes in Ambiseli? I need to find it out. The mount Kilimanjaro must be also seen from Amboseli?

And the other picture I have in mind are lions on rocks or on stones. Or any other animal on rocks. But it must be not a big rock, just a rock with skies behind it to accentuate an animal dignity. 

And the next I want to see flamingos in water. That's it so far. All other stuff will be nice to have: like cheetah with cubs or cheetah's hunt.

Regarding budget: we don't take expensive lodges anymore but rather simple and we are doing self-driving with combination of camping and lodges. The most important is a wildlife experience. We love to be in nowhere and alone. So, it is not easy becasue Kenya and Tanzania have a lot of visitors and can be crowded. That is why we haven't visit those countries yet. I even don't know if it is possible to do self-driving in Kenya. As far as I know it is possible in Tanzania.

@ElenaH I saw plenty of giraffes in Amboseli. And yes you can certainly see Mount Kilimanjaro when you are in Amboseli.Personally I wouldn't recommend driving in Kenya unless you have driven elsewhere in Africa. On my latest safari even after having lived in Kenya for over eight and a half years,I couldn't believe just how aggressive and reckless Kenyan drivers were. I think that you would better off with a professional driver. 

P1190705.JPG

P1190850.JPG

I have plenty of other photos but I will select and post some of them in this thread. Please notice the klipspringers in the Shetani lava flow in Tsavo West.

P1200018.JPG

P1200053.JPG

P1200064.JPG

P1200068.JPG

P1200044.JPG

Some really nice photographs here @optig, "all" that's missing is an elephant with a snow-capped Kilimanjaro as background ;) (although I remember from our time in Amboseli that Kili was always either obscured by clouds or the wildlife was in the opposite direction :(

@Africlan we were lucky to visit Amboseli last year and enjoy unobstructed views of Kilimanjaro for 3 days!  And yes, I actually got the mountain/elephant herd shot.  Unfortunately, not as much snow caps the mountain anymore. 

@optig love your pictures, looks like you had a marvelous time.  Brings back wonderful memories!  Thank-you

@optig Amboseli looks so green! was it after the rains? look forward to more photos of a place I have yet to visit.

@Kitsafari I went to Amboseli before the rains which take place in November and December. I enjoyed Amboseli more than I expected. Tortillis 

Lodge was excellent. The general wildlife viewing was better than when I stayed at Ol Donyo Lodge in Chuyulu Hills National Park. 

I saw lions and cheetah in Amboseli.

Rick - Gamewatchers

Lovely photos! I wish I was in Kenya right now instead of going into Fall / Winter in Canada. 

Lucky you Owen that you can get away to Kenya´s great parks just like that. Really nice photos, I hope there´s more to come?

great shots Owen!  Sure wish I was there! :D

• 1 year later...

How nice to see cheetahs in Amboseli!  That Martial Eagle's eyes are very piercing.  Were these stops part of your elephant orphanage trip?