TBTR: South Luangwa in November 2019 for my safaritalk pals

LarsS

Thanks for sharing your South Luangwa experience Lars, I really enjoyed this report. Very cool photo of the baboon and the oof Elephant btw. And wow, look at the talons of those Monitor - scary! I think your Eagle is in fact a Western Banded Snake Eagle and the bird below is a Meve´s Starling.

• 3 months later...

somehow I missed your reactions although they were just after I ended my report, sorry for that!

On 11/29/2020 at 2:50 AM, Kitsafari said:

PEL's!!!!  You were so lucky!  if the truck hadn't got stuck in the mud, you'd have returned to the camp earlier and missed the pel's. it looked as if it was sitting and just waiting for you guys to pass along the way. great captures from your wifel good job.

I hadn't looked at it that way, although not sure if it makes my wife feel better about the experience of getting stuck... I'll pass the compliments on to her, thanks!

On 11/29/2020 at 1:31 PM, Tdgraves said:

Your mystery bird is a thick knee (dikkop)

Thank you! I'm afraid I'll have a bit of trouble remembering the name, as the naming is a bit inconsistent. The 'kop' in dikkop translates as 'head', not knee. (now I realise when you mix & match languages you get dikhead :o

On 11/29/2020 at 3:38 PM, michael-ibk said:

Thanks for sharing your South Luangwa experience Lars, I really enjoyed this report. Very cool photo of the baboon and the oof Elephant btw. And wow, look at the talons of those Monitor - scary! I think your Eagle is in fact a Western Banded Snake Eagle and the bird below is a Meve´s Starling.

Thank you for your kind words. I like the baboon&ellie photo as well. I think different species together can make a photo extra interesting, especially when they vary in sizes as much as an ellie & baboon. To be not so modest, I liked the shot in my video as well (different composition, bit more zoomed in on the baboon and not the whole elephant in the picture), it looks a bit like the baboon is looking up to the huge size of the elephant. That's this part of the video which you might have seen. These are the kind of images that are engraved in my memory. I think we all have specific sightings you can remember so well it's like you are reliving the moment when thinking about it.

Thanks for the correction and bird's names!

Edited by LarsS
added last comment