Colombia 2019. Blog observations rather than a report

PeterHG

PC030499-190-Edit-X2.jpg

We went on an organised 18-day-group tour in Colombia in November last year. I just finished my blog posts on the trip. As it was completely organised it doesn't really merit a trip report. Still some of you might have some interest in the country, so I'll just post the link to the blog here. We were hesitant about doing a self-drive there, so we opted for the tour alternative, which we had never done before. As it was a small group (9 fellow-travellers and a tour guide) it was was much better than we had 'feared' and a total of 336 bird species was a trip record for us. Also the country has stunning landscapes and friendly people. My blogs do not focus too much on where we've seen what exactly, but are mostly personal observations on the birds, the people, the country and travelling with a group. For what it's worth, here's the link (7 blog posts):

https://peterdhg.blogspot.com

For more bird photos:

https://peterdehoog.smugmug.com/Travel/2019-Colombia

Edited by PeterHG

Thanks for sharing, a very enjoyable read and some very nice pictures of very pretty birds.  What company did you use? They seemed to have treated you well.

6 hours ago, Zubbie15 said:

Thanks for sharing, a very enjoyable read and some very nice pictures of very pretty birds.  What company did you use? They seemed to have treated you well.

Thank you @Zubbie15. We used a Dutch travel agency, specializing in nature travel: snp.nl

They certainly did a good job and provided an excellent tour guide. Of course also local guides were used in many places. The maximum group size would have been 14, I think.

• PeterHG changed the title to Colombia 2019. Blog observations rather than a report

Fantastic photos and great report. We had actually been planning a Colombia birding trip (it would be our third) for next year when COVID got in the way, but this certainly renews my determination to get there again sooner than later.

Great blog and incredible photos - especially considering that many of them must have been taken in quite low light given the habitat.  

That was a really great blog Peter! Very funny, and your pictures are fantastic. Colombia here I come! :-)

19 hours ago, janzin said:

but this certainly renews my determination to get there again sooner than later.

Thanks @janzin. I do hope you'll go again!

10 hours ago, shazdwn said:

Great blog and incredible photos - especially considering that many of them must have been taken in quite low light given the habitat.  

Thank you @shazdwnI made the switch from Canon to Olympus two years ago, mainly because of weight considerations, but I must say that, even with the smaller sensor, the camera performed admirably!

26 minutes ago, michael-ibk said:

Colombia here I come! :-)

Thank you @michael-ibkThat sounds like a great plan!

• 3 weeks later...

Very useful for me @PeterHG. Definitely on my radar. Just like you I'm also worried about self drive so this is very relevant. 

1 hour ago, Chakra said:

Definitely on my radar

You won't regret it. It's a beautiful and wonderful country!

Somewhere else to add to my list. Thank you for this amusing bit of escapism in the middle of a covid winter .

such a fun  blog @PeterHG ! i enjoyed that a lot, and of course, the stunning photos too.

• 3 months later...

Fantastic blogs and gorgeous pictures!  This trip overlaps one we took a year ago, and one that we hope to take this coming August.  You brought back memories and have me excited to travel again.  Thanks for sharing!