From Rietvlei to Kruger - a family trip January 2020

PeterHG

So did I, thank you for sharing Peter. :)

Thank you for at great trip report and lots of stunning pictures. I really like the fighting elephants(and I would keep my distance, I wouldn´t wanna get caught in the middle. Even if the shots were taken trough the front widow.

I just love Kruger and hope to be back in july 2021( I am an optimist :) ). I also visited Dinokeng Nature Reserve back in 2016 and found it pretty good.A good alternative to staying in Johannesburg and Pretoria.  Only stayed 1 night, but we managed to have a great lion sighting. We had jsut come down from Botswana where we had 1 lion sighting in 3 weeks :rolleyes:(and we went to Moremi, CKGR, Savuti and Chobe), so we were thrilled:D 

Towlersonsafari

another splendid report-loved the impala portrait, Merry Christmas @PeterHG

34 minutes ago, Towlersonsafari said:

another splendid report-loved the impala portrait, Merry Christmas

Thank you and Merry Christmas to you, too!

Dave Williams

Excellent photography and an interesting read. Thanks Peter.

On 12/22/2020 at 11:28 AM, JayRon said:

A good alternative to staying in Johannesburg and Pretoria.  

Thank you @JayRon! I do agree with you it's a very good alternative. I can see how you must have enjoyed the lion sighting there after only one sighting in Botswana! The destinations you mention do sound very good, though, so I'm sure you enjoyed those anyway.

Rest assured we kept a safe distance from the fighting elephants. The shots were taken with a 300mm telelens, so from quite farther away than the photo suggests.

I do hope 2021 will bring another Kruger trip for you!

I really enjoyed your TR Peter, photos as good as expected from you and a very entertaining writting as well.

Thanks for allowing us on the ride, Peter. Brilliant photos, as always, of everything, but loved the portraits of the birds and mammals too. those leopard cubs are stunning!

• 1 month later...

The photos are great, I am very impressed 

The_Norwegian

Really enjoyed this, awesome pictures, may i ask what kind of equipment you shoot with, especially the lenses? 

Thank you @The_Norwegian ! My camera is an Olympus OMD-EM 1 MK II and I used the Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F/4 Pro ( all the bird photos and also the more distant mammals) and the Olympus 40-150mm F/2.8 Pro. I switched to Olympus a few years ago, because of weight issues and I am quite happy with both the camera and the lenses. 

• 8 months later...
Dave Williams
On 2/7/2021 at 6:00 PM, PeterHG said:

Thank you @The_Norwegian ! My camera is an Olympus OMD-EM 1 MK II and I used the Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F/4 Pro ( all the bird photos and also the more distant mammals) and the Olympus 40-150mm F/2.8 Pro. I switched to Olympus a few years ago, because of weight issues and I am quite happy with both the camera and the lenses. 

Just been reading your report again to see what I can glean from it with our next trip in mind. 

You certainly know how to get the best out of your camera kit that's for sure!!

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Just been reading your report again to see what I can glean from it with our next trip in mind. 

You certainly know how to get the best out of your camera kit that's for sure!!

Thanks for the kind words, Dave. Fortunately South- Africa always offers so many photo opportunities. When are you thinking of going?

Dave Williams
On 10/19/2021 at 7:39 PM, PeterHG said:

Thanks for the kind words, Dave. Fortunately South- Africa always offers so many photo opportunities. When are you thinking of going?

It's all booked up now Peter. July in to August 2022. Can't wait!!