Scores on the Doors

Peter Connan

Peter Connan

Not sure if this is premature, there may be a couple of participants who still have some contributions to make, but at the moment, the standings look like this:

@michael-ibk: 502

@xelas: 436

@Galana: 391

@PeterHG: 350

@pedro maia: 265 (I think Pedro is the single-country winner for this year)

@TonyQ: 257

@Tdgraves: 233

@Kitsafari: 231

@campsafari2015: 226

@roseclaw: 214

@shazdwn: 200

@Soukous: 200

@Dave Williams: 173

@Zim Girl: 154

Me: 153

@mvecht: 122

@elefromoz: 121

@Lyss: 48

Edited by Peter Connan

Many thanks for this Peter. I don't feel half so bad with a Bronze for this year.:)

Peter Connan

Some random "statistics"

For the last three years, we have had 18 competitors each year.

This year, there has been 8459 posts in the Big Year thread, for an average of just over 23 posts per day.

Since 2017, there has been a different winner every year.

The highest total for the years 2017, 2018 and 2019 have been between 602 and 608 every year, and had been improving every year.

Great Job @Peter ConnanAmazing numbers given the circumstances.:)

Congratations to the top 'travellers' in 2021 and @pedro maia for pulling off a good number, whilst remaining in Portugal.

Having said that all partcipants have done really well. Keeping up enthusiasm alone is tough, given our current circumstances, and very likely for many, they have been confined to their immedaite area.

Well done all. 

Edited by wilddog

Thanks for the reminder! I still have seven whole species to add. 

Good job all!

Many thanks for your efforts, @Peter Connan! This thread was very much alive even through the tough year we all had. The numbers you gathered certainly show that!

Thanks for saving me the work @Peter Connan :P, it was a busy BY for me, I think I´ll do something a bit different in 2021. 

Thanks @Peter Connan.  Really interesting stats both from this year and before.  I think I am in good company in the middle of the field.

So how and when does Big Year 2021 start?  Not that I am impatient or anything :lol: Thanks

Now. 😊

2 hours ago, wilddog said:

Now. 😊

Yes, now.

For the last 2 days I have been ignoring birds on the basis that they were already in my BY, but of course we have now started a new one. I must remember that. 

Trying to create a new sub forum for Big Year 2021.  Not succeeding. :( May have to get the big boss on to it......................................

EDIT

Matt coming to our aid later. Beyond the powers of a moderator. 

Get cracking with those cameras in preparation............................

Edited by wilddog
Update

1 hour ago, wilddog said:

Trying to create a new sub forum for Big Year 2021.  Not succeeding. :(

Aah Linda, you mean there is a limit to your superpowers ;) Happy New Year

There is indeed @Soukous:) Happy New Year to you too.

Matt is, quite rightly, SuperPower Man. 

Edited by wilddog

Peter Connan
2 hours ago, wilddog said:

Beyond the powers of a moderator. 

Glad it wasn't just me...

43 minutes ago, Peter Connan said:

Glad it wasn't just me...

or me, given that we have had a gloriously sunny day today and have just returned from a walk....

1 minute ago, Tdgraves said:

or me, given that we have had a gloriously sunny day today and have just returned from a walk....

BTW, have you seen this book yet? Very useful for our part of the UK

https://www.nhbs.com/where-to-watch-birds-in-east-anglia-book

13 minutes ago, Tdgraves said:

no, but can't I find that info on t'internet rather than spending twenty quid?!?!?

I dunno.

I love books and hate looking at a computer or smartphone so I didn't even try to find it on t'internet. B)

1 hour ago, Soukous said:

I dunno.

I love books and hate looking at a computer or smartphone so I didn't even try to find it on t'internet. B)

Is it any good though?

Just now, Tdgraves said:

Is it any good though?

Yes. Not perfect, but better than many others and it doesn't just tell you what birds you might find it gives you hints about where you can find them in each reserve. 

7 hours ago, wilddog said:

There is indeed

Blimey. A Lady who admits to having limitations.:ph34r: I don't think I can cope with much more after Covid and Brexit.

Today was an omen. All 2020 I pursued a bird in its known haunt for BY2020 without success. I even turn ed out on December 31st.

Today I went out to bag a few regulars to start the year and guess what? The little bleeders came out and performed for the camera.

2 minutes ago, Galana said:

Today was an omen. All 2020 I pursued a bird in its known haunt for BY2020 without success. I even turn ed out on December 31st.

Today I went out to bag a few regulars to start the year and guess what? The little bleeders came out and performed for the camera.

It’s commonly referred to as Sod’s law. Usually happens when you haven’t taken your camera with you....

Dave Williams

Congratulations everyone on their efforts, there are some seriously good scores amongst them. Well done @michael-ibkfor being  on top of the pile and @pedro maia for a really outstanding "local" score.

Happy New Year everyone!