Galana's Fifth - The only way from here is UP!

Galana

Still wandering, weather permitting, for the elusive extras to end the year.

Lots of Grey seals awaiting the New Yer Party,

DSCN1188.JPG.9c3ed5de82e087e5d3de4d0309d71ea5.JPG

A friendly Hoodie poses for a portrait...

DSCN1196-001.JPG.ee088e1f9a088a5534048f3f2b5a655a.JPG

And are these Red Breasted Mergansers???

DSCN1208.JPG.8ba227419bf1e9a03735eb050960faa8.JPG

Always nice to find our local herd of 34 Whoopers

DSCN1218.JPG.6e9a25cee81f674f13d6f4d1240b26e1.JPG

Flock shot for counting purposes, I got too close at first.:o

DSCN1224.JPG.e027a0713ab7678533038317dc1a6e46.JPG

But WHERE are my needed ticks???

Edited by Galana
text

A happy New Year to all.

My efforts to find another tick or two as the year drew to a close have not met with success. The birds that are undoubtedly there simply did not present to me for the shot.

Despite efforts to seek them out December 31st 's outing failed.

I saw Turnstones enjoying a feast on Seaweed flies,

1-DSCN1232.JPG.40d1604324837757d633f98ac49879c5.JPG

and even Red-necked Wallabies in the woods....

1-DSCN1256.JPG.8c8a4082ed2715180c046c0db881acd1.JPG

But no Redstarts, Snow Buntings or Long-tailed Tits, Mergansers and some of the 20 or so species seen off island but not here.

So the total for 2021 remains at

144 (110 for IOM).

Both totals were an achievement given the travel restrictions and the IOM total was, er, a total surprise. One that I would never have considered achievable a year ago.

So the IOM Trophy goes to @mvechtbut as Wellington said in 1815, it was a close run thing.

So on to BY2022 and I have made a start.

I took this from my lounge in the cottage we took for Christmas and despite the use of a feeder KI thought you would all appreciate it.

1-DSCN1262.JPG.0695b1473b7a126de6360a1b2b6c78a2.JPG

I thought of you all when I saw the result and leave it to you to write your own caption.

On to 2022.

Peter Connan

Thanks for the good wishes and may you have a wonderful year!

I'm impressed with over 100 for IOM - both IOMs actually.  Let's see what 2022 brings

Great IOM score Fred, and happy New Year (with hopefully a few trips in the cards) for you!

Both island scores are excellent!  Best wishes for a wonderful birding year in 2022!

Dave Williams

Well done Fred, very creditable indeed. I think you need to invest in a Jetski so you can nip over to the mainland every now and then!

Well done, Fred! I wish you will be able to get off the island a few times in 2022. Slovenia maybe?

On 1/4/2022 at 10:13 AM, Dave Williams said:

I think you need to invest in a Jetski so you can nip over to the mainland every now and then!

That would not work for my IOM total though and the last idiot to try it got banned and I believe his paramour/bit on the side is still in jail.

On 1/4/2022 at 10:30 AM, xelas said:

I wish you will be able to get off the island a few times in 2022. Slovenia maybe?

Plans are afoot. And a Card from Bohinj tells me my host/friend has a Badger set in the river bank by his house so who knows? A wolf or bear would clinch it.

I have enjoyed your Big Year. Great birds in Scotland and a wonderful total from IOM.

Looking forward to 2022!

ahh no more birds to end your 2021 but a good score for IOM which is even smaller than SIngapore (we cheated, we dug up other countries' islands, then put their sand into our seas so the land area becomes bigger but our seas become narrower.)

I had so much fun watching your 2021 including seals and all. who knows what 2022 will bring - bears, badgers and wolves?

1 hour ago, Kitsafari said:

(we cheated, we dug up other countries' islands, then put their sand into our seas so the land area becomes bigger but our seas become narrower.)

We don't have to do that. Our Sea God Mannanan does it twice per day. The coast line changes almost daily. A couple of years back two of our guests were returning home to Scotland and were stopped by Security as they had some interesting stones in their car removed from the shingle beach seen above. They were warned that removing items was not permitted but the Lady just retorted "I am takin them back hame where they came frae."  They were waved through.

2 hours ago, Kitsafari said:

who knows what 2022 will bring - bears, badgers and wolves?

I can only wish. I need an "Ellie Fix" too.

Congrats on the year and a 110 in the IOM alone has me jealous! 

Good luck for this year