Senegal - A Hidden Gem?

Pictus Safaris

Now they fly direct from Gatwick I have just booked a TUI package which is definitely in your fly and flop category. It is largely intended for my o/h's benefit and it also happens to be very inexpensive . 2 weeks all inclusive for £2k. It's a RUI, the Baobob, and it's only been open since the beginning of the year, hence the price.

I'm hoping I can wander locally and find some half decent spots for a bit of birding, the aerial map shows very little development of the area at the moment so I decided to give it a try. I'm sure that many on ST might not be attracted but I'm going to give it a go in November!

I'll post a report.

I'm interested to see how it compares with my favourite fly and flop which is to The Gambia. With the pound at rock bottom an AI deal seemed good sense and Senegal was a lot less expensive and a new experience to boot!

• 1 month later...
Dave Williams

Well it looks like I was ahead of the game. At least three national newspapers featured the Rui Baobob in their travel sections this weekend. The reports were all very favourable, the Trip Advisor reports filtering through concur. My biggest fear is the prices will now shoot up for future visits!! Not long before we visit so I'll be able to report in full soon.