Namibia videos, January 2021

Illi

Here are my two of latest videos filmed during our trip to Namibia in January. First one is filmed in Waterberg Wilderness and Etosha, second one in Etosha only. I hope you enjoy watching them as much as I enjoyed making them.

@Illi It is a real joy to watch your videos. Namibia in green season is beautiful. And the scene with the male subadult lions quarreling around a too small prey is so good to see. Thanks for posting this.

Lovely videos! Great to hear some sounds of the bush, like the hyenas, lions en many birds. You had a fruitful trip with many cool sightings! Quite a few birds and other animals I'd never seen before (or remember). Felt a bit sorry for the wildebeest to lose their baby to the lions, but very interesting to watch the ambush.

I especially loved the jackal peaking out of the grass after the lions mating in your second video. Also good to know I haven't lost my eye for wildlife, I spotted it immediately, even though it was very briefly.

Not sure if I would risk to upset a couple of lions by secretly watching them in action. ;) 

image.png.fe085f3cbd534947dbc272efe9bc7f84.png

@Illi, excellent videos, thank you for sharing! The first one you said is from Waterberg Wilderness. I saw only rhino there. You have lions and leopard...? Where did you find them? Really in Waterberg? On plato? Or somewhere down?  How long have been there? And how long have you been in Etosha? THe sightings are really great!! It looks very hot in Etosha ;-) Was it more hot than in Waterberg? Have you been camping? In Okajukujejo, Halali? In which parts of Etosha have you been? And how was the travelling itself? I heard there were some funny rules in Namibia lile re-test after 5 or 10 days or something like that. Many tourists?

The sightings are really fantastic!! Apart from lions, rhino, leopards. etc.. I am jealous about the birds! You had a sighting of Whydah or what the bird with a long tail? I'd like to see one!!

I know, there are many quations :) But I am interested in!!

Thank you all for watching my videos. I am happy to get all this positive feedback and your support :)

@Bikomy first time in Namibia and on the contrary to all the pictures and videos I have seen, it was beautiful green and lots of rain.

@LarsSYou spotted the jackal!!! Good for you. I was amused to see it lurking around the lions. I love jackals so much, I think they are one of the bravest animals in African bush, true survivors. I also felt sorry for the wildebeest but at the same time it was very interesting to see the whole scene to unfold just in front of us.

@ElenaHThe first video is partly filmed in Wateterberg and partly in Etosha. We stayed at Plateau lodge for two nights and didn't see any predators there. I think they have leopards, but not seen too often. In Etosha we were 12 nights camping in Okaukuejo, Olifantrstrus, Halali and Namutoni. It was great and we were quite lucky with good sightings (but only 3 elephants). And yes, I was very happy to see lots of birds, I didn't expect that many. Long tailed bird is Wydah, especially lucky with that one, they are usually difficult to photograph since they are not in one place for more than 1 second :lol:

It wasn't too hot at all (I love hot though) and we had some good rains also, but it didn't bother us too much. When we drove around the park, there were very few other cars. Some game drives we only saw one or two other cars and I enjoyed that a lot. Most of the sightings, just us. The re-test rule does not apply anymore. We just needed a negative test not older than 72 hours to enter the country. 

I have a stupid question about Namibia...were you inside your vehicle when you took your videos? When you self-drive do you have a vehicle with a pop-up roof so you can photograph without the glass in-between, or were you going on separate game drives with a ranger in a special vehicle? By the way, your videos are gorgeous!

The_Norwegian

Wow awesome videos! Such great sightings, that leopard sighting was just amazing, a very lucky one for Etosha :-) 

@mtanenbaumnot a stupid questions at all. On a game drive you must stay in your vehicle at all times. As a self driver,  I just open my window and film or photograph from there, so I didn't have a popup roof. You can also take guided game drives from the camps, then you are likely to share your game drive experience with other safari goers.

At camps or picnic sites, you can walk around. I have found camps to be excellent places for bird photography. There are always so much to be seen in between the actual game drives.

Many thanks for your kind words, I am glad you liked my videos. :)

@The_NorwegianThanks a lot, I appreciate your kindness. :) I feel very lucky to have such a great sightings. And there were not so many other people around, so most of the sightings it was just us.

• 2 weeks later...
The_Norwegian

indeed, it must be absolute bliss to be in Etosha these days with so few people. very envious! ;-)