Bird ID topic. Ask for help with your indentification.

Game Warden

Game Warden

This is a general topic for helping with bird identification.

Please post your image/s in the replies below, including location and time of year the photo was taken and hopefully you will receive as reply as soon as possible.

Thanks, Matt

• 1 year later...
Botswanadreams

Please help with the bird ID's.

Both pics are taken in Southeast Alaska, East Pinta Rocks, NW coast of Kupreanof Island in Frederick Sound, July 2022.

No 1

P1230162.jpg.cea7a24b29853a50384ea861ed3c15f4.jpg

No 2

P1230184.jpg.3d37c8d0208c58f5654109e2c8234c7e.jpg

Thanks in advance for taking your time.

@BotswanadreamsNot an area of the world that I am that familiar with as yet, but it is somewhere I'm keen to visit, and I have been looking at the birds of this area, I happen to have my Nat Geo Field Guide to the Birds of North America to hand, so I will give it go and suggest for No 1, Black Turnstone (Arenaria melanocephala) and for No2, Surfbird (Aphriza virgata

Those would be my best guesses, I'm confident on No2 and I am sure that No1 are turnstones, I'm just not 100% certain that they are Black and not Ruddy, but since I have a friend who knows more about North American shorebirds, than I ever will, I will ask @offshorebirderfor a second opinion. 

Botswanadreams

Thanks @inyathi. I don't have a bird book from Northern America. I was looking at avibase for Alaska. Looking through the list with the images I thought the same like you suggested but non of the images fit my poor pics exactly.  So it is very confusing for me. 

Botswanadreams

Me again with a other problem. Alaska has both Black guillemot and Pigeon guillemot. Both looks similar. The description for the Pigeon guillemot says "with a white wing patch broken by a brown-black wedge".

No 1

P1229807.jpg.a6bc60224d83c27b9f21c9c2b3ec8903.jpg

No 2

P1230194.jpg.84aeedbf5807da6b3ca7e3f3c7937bb4.jpg

No. 3

P1230145.jpg.c8ac18399939f9ca65c23d7ffaed0b9d.jpg

No 4

P1230160.jpg.c31443c0d1b04228a5a6866ec709e328.jpg

So I would say No 1 from Petersburg should be a Black guillemot.

No 2 to 4 are from East Pinta Rocks. With No 2 I'm not sure what it is. No 3 and 4 should be Pigeon guillemots.

Please can you birders take a look. Thanks   

offshorebirder

Thanks for the kind words @inyathi, I enjoy a shorebird ID puzzle.  I am glad @Botswanadreams had some nice coastal birding.

The birds in the first photo look like Black Turnstones.   The leftmost bird shows dark legs, not the orangish legs of a Ruddy Turnstone.  And the top right bird shows a dark chin, which Ruddy Turnstones never have - they show white or brown chins depending on the season.   The black on these birds' breast also comes down lower than a Ruddy Turnstone - practically onto their upper belly.  

The birds in the second photo look like Surfbirds.  The bright yellow legs eliminate most other medium-sized shorebirds with short+stout bills like Knots and Willets.  The bicolored bill with a dark tip, stout build overall, whitish undertail and flanks with increasingly dense streaking forward towards the breast, brownish wings with reddish highlights contrasting a gray-streaked face, and other factors point towards Surfbirds.

offshorebirder

As far as the Guillemots go @Botswanadreams - I think they are all Pigeon Guillemots.   

In terms of their range of occurrence:  Black Guillemots almost never make it that far south and that is a dense breeding area for Pigeon Guillemots.  These range maps from Cornell's All About Birds website illustrate the ranges of these species:

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Black_Guillemot/maps-range

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Pigeon_Guillemot/maps-range

In terms of identification clues, the last two photos show the classic dark bar extending into the white wing patch.   In the first and second photos, I think the upward-jutting dark bar might be obscured by black body feathers (on the resting bird) that are ruffled up over the wing patch.   

This Pigeon Guillemot photo in the Cornell gallery looks like the bird in your first and second photos:  https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Pigeon_Guillemot/photo-gallery/164897081

Edited by offshorebirder

Botswanadreams

@offshorebirder thank you so much. Your answer is like a big lessen for me what is all necessary to look up to identify a bird.