Global (Birding) Big Day

Kitsafari

Thank you for this @Kitsafari.  If our state borders remain open I will be cruising on the Murray River in South Australia with binos in hand.:D

On 4/16/2021 at 3:54 AM, ElaineAust said:

Thank you for this @Kitsafari.  If our state borders remain open I will be cruising on the Murray River in South Australia with binos in hand.:D

on your jetski?

1 hour ago, Soukous said:

on your jetski?

Ha, ha @Soukous.  I am keeping that in the shed for the big trip.:ph34r:

Yep, our bird club always holds a birdathon on that date.  I'll be birding with my team, the Wandering Warblers. This year we are raising funds for the Grassland Bird Trust, an organization here in New York State looking to buy and preserve grassland habitat.

Although we call it World Migratory Bird Day, so maybe its not exactly the same initiative. https://www.worldmigratorybirdday.org/

Edited by janzin

Last year I thought about making a photographic Big Day with the same rules of the BY, anyone interested?

@pedro maia I thought about it for a minute, then the thought of birding through the day in the rising heat (30 degrees right now at 10am over here and may hit 34 degrees) and the rising humidity (about 70% now to top 90% later in the day) overwhelmed me and wilted my birding aspirations.....

8 hours ago, Kitsafari said:

@pedro maia I thought about it for a minute, then the thought of birding through the day in the rising heat (30 degrees right now at 10am over here and may hit 34 degrees) and the rising humidity (about 70% now to top 90% later in the day) overwhelmed me and wilted my birding aspirations.....

I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t spend a day birding on those conditions :D.

• 3 weeks later...
ElaineAust

Hi all.

Just home from a week in South Australia and did a bird count on May 8th.

Murray River South Australia May 8, 2021 Bird count

Silver gull

Masked Plover

Galah

Little Corella

Pelican

Pacific black duck

Magpie

Welcome swallow

Little black cormorant

Australian darter

AUSTRALIAN RAVEN

Black kite

Black swan

Whistling kite

Superb fairy wren

Great cormorant

Fairy tern

Dusky moorhen

Eurasian coot

Maned wood duck

White faced heron

Grey teal

Pied mudlark

Laughing kookaburra

Noisy miner

Musk duck

I think I was the only birder on the river boat cruise and the weather was not very conductive for birding but I had a great time.

Would love to return to South Australia in the future for a birding centered trip.

Cheers

Elaine