Amazing sighting at Khwai river Moremi NP in Botswana, Lion hunt and kill where she also eats the prey, Khwai river Moremi NP Botswana

JPS

On the 19th of October, we were blessed with an amazing sighting at Khwai North gate rest camp in Botswana. At first sunrise, we left our camp to check out the area next to the river. My wife saw something in the distance walking in or near the river between the red lechwe's. We started recording and after using the 400 mm lens we noticed that it was a lioness stalking the red lechwe's.
The lioness started to walk faster which accelerated in running soon this followed up with a successful kill in the river with the crocs behind the lioness also looking very interested towards the kill. The lioness carried the kill quickly away from the river and I guess it was our lucky day as she carried the kill roughly 150 meters away in the direction of our car.

We enjoyed watching her eating the red lechwe and soon the lioness was accompanied by another female who calmly watched her eating the red lechwe together with us.

This was an amazing morning in Africa.

Hope you enjoy the video

offshorebirder

@AfricIan - I love the scene at 3:43 with the reflection of the hungry sister in the side mirror and the feeding lioness in the foreground.  

Choice.

Edited by offshorebirder

offshorebirder

Oops - sorry @JPS I was mixing up threads in browser windows.

Awesome! i hope the sister managed to get some bites in the end. 

Awesome sighting and so cool to spot something like this yourself and all by yourself!

21 hours ago, LarsS said:

Awesome sighting and so cool to spot something like this yourself and all by yourself!

Yes it was and it doesn't happen every day 😊

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, ElenaH said:

WoW! amazing sightings! and great video, @JPS!

Thanks, Elena :)