Uganda June 2021 - A Safari for Remarkable Primates and Marvellous Birds

adamt123

@adamt123

Thank you for your very enjoyable and informative trip report. I can't believe how many different birds you have seen. Beautiful pictures - my favourite is the shoebill. I also like the picures of the scenic landscapes.

Your Gorilla experience was  interesting as we plan to see them in Rwanda this year in August. I am also having problems with the high altitude:(.

We have not been to Uganda yet, but hope to do so in the forseeable future.

Have a great time in South Africa!

Thanks @Athene- it’s wonderfully warm here in SA. Rwanda sounds very exciting; on the gorillas, I would say that I hadn’t done any training or extra practise exercise specifically for Bwindi - I’m not sure if that might help.

Just for reference for medication I take salbutamol and salmeterol and I think I stopped maybe two or three times on the trek to take a few puffs. To be honest, it’s not something that I really thought about before it hit me on the trek and I think maybe that sudden and somewhat unexpected feeling of difficulty breathing is what made it more difficult for me. Just travel at a pace you are comfortable with and take breaks as you need them - I’m sure you’ll be fine :)

And great Samburu report by the way - I’m trying to convince my sister to go on her first safari to Kenya and I think you’re beautiful photos should do the trick :)

@adamt123 

You are already in SA - wonderful!

I will follow your advice regarding the pace. It's also good to hear that there is a medication. I will look into that as well.

I also think Kenya is a good destination for someone who has never been on safari before. Thank you for your kind words.

Just to clarify @AtheneI take those medicines because I have a lung condition (asthma) and they are prescribed by my doctor - if you don't have a pre-existing medical condition you really shouldn't worry too much 

Thanks for a very enjoyable report, you really saw a lot and managed to take many beautiful photos even despite the camera problems. Well done! Of course I absolutely adore your Shoebill shots - what a perfect sighting. Enjoy South Africa!

• 3 weeks later...

Just found this report, such a fun read. I was in Uganda 20+ years ago but I wasn’t a birder then - oh what I missed out on !!!

thanks @shazdwn:)  its certainly fascinating how interests develop with time - maybe in a few years time we will all be crazy about butterflies too!

2 hours ago, adamt123 said:

thanks @shazdwn:)  its certainly fascinating how interests develop with time - maybe in a few years time we will all be crazy about butterflies too!

Butterflies is where it all started with me at about age 5, so I found your comment to be nostalgic and amusing!

@adamt123I was very interested reading your report. I visited Ruhiza before gorilla trekking started there, sadly I wasn’t able do any gorilla trekking on the trip as we had been unable to obtain gorilla permits for Buhoma after having to change our travel dates meant losing our original permits, instead our whole time in Bwindi was spend birding. I assume that your guide Alfred, is the Alfred the best bird guide in Uganda, he was my guide in Bwindi, but that was back in 97, so if he is the same Alfred. Good to know that he is still going.

On my last visit in 2018, we drove and birded on the main road along the edge of Semuliki NP, I photographed the sign for Bumaga Camp, but didn’t see the camp, I’m quite envious of your sightings of Dent’s Monkey, my one regret is not going into the forest to look for these monkeys, we had hoped to see De Brazza’s from the road, we heard some in the distance, but there were too many people collecting firewood in the forest that day, so we drew a blank at the spot where they are sometimes spotted from the road. I saw Black-casqued Hornbills on a trip to Gabon, but not in Semuliki, that was a good find. Very envious of your Papyrus Gonolek shot, I've still not managed to see one, despite looking for it on two visits to Uganda.   

Very glad you were still able to get some good photos, despite your lens, having serious lens trouble on safari is no fun at all.

offshorebirder
5 hours ago, inyathi said:

Very envious of your Papyrus Gonolek shot, I've still not managed to see one

Ditto.

Great trip report and very glad you got to see so much for all your efforts - really impressive birds and an excellent job with manual focus, which is a useful one to have in the bushes or the trees. The swamp view from the tent at QE Bush Lodge is a good tip - it is definitely better for wildlife viewing than the view of the Kasinga Channel from the chalet area and I didn’t even realise it (the view not the tent area) was there despite walking around the camp a bit. Giant Forest Hogs!

So, what was wrong with your lens? It has been bugging me through the whole report. :D

Thank you for your kind words @inyathi:) - shame about your gorillas but at least bwindi is such an excellent place to bird!

The papyrus gonolek was really all down to Alfred and a bit of luck. We were driving to Kibale and as on the other drives he directed were we stopped along the way. I really wasn't expecting to see the gonolek or even know we were looking for it until we pulled up at a small papyrus swamp next to the road - what an excellent surprise it was though! 

As for Alfred, Paul also did mention that he was "the best bird guide in Uganda" and he was recognized by a lot of the other guides - e.g. driving from Ishasha to Bush Lodge we bumped into Harriet from Harrier tours (from Tomer's Mammal Watching report) and she had quite a lengthy catch up with Alfred - so I really wouldn't be surprised if it is the same famous Alfred. He also mentioned that Bwindi is his favourite park in the country for birding.  

Many thanks @pault :) I returned the lens to the store and got a refund. No idea what happened to it or what the shop did with it! I had only purchased it recently before going because I was pretty torn between that model and the Nikon 200-500 and because the trip was finalized last minute. In the end I only had it for a few weeks but I think I might have sold it off soon anyway because while I was satisfied with the image quality (especially for the price), the lack of weather sealing on the 'C' model would be a constant concern particularly in the wet season or in dusty environments like Kgalagadi. Reunited with my trusty 60-600 S now!