Elephants Sands is a very nice stop-over between Francistown and Kasane. After you have arrived, you will encounter an oasis with elephants.

The owner has made a waterhole near the restaurant which the elephants are enjoying using, he has placed his chalets and camping spots around these water holes.

The accommodation has a delicious breakfast and delightful dinner buffet, the restaurant is just next to the waterhole where you can eat and drink while enjoying the elephants bathing and drinking.

What makes it very enjoyable is that these gigantic elephants walk nicely between the chalets and campsites, very impressive!

A small video of our elephant encounters in the camp;

My goodness that is close!  The eles are very respectful to the cameras.

Wow! What great elephant encounters! Sounds like a great place if you're self-driving. I haven't had the nerve to do that in Africa yet...I think I'd need to have my husband with me to feel comfortable driving there and I can't get him to go to Africa with me...I wish I could convince him but he is very put off by the long flight. Perhaps after we retire we could go and stop over in Europe to make it more tolerable!

Yes, self-driving seems to be scary, but it is not that bad. Once you've done it, you won't go back to another way of traveling. I really love driving around independently in the bush of Africa and it's not that you are completely alone if something happens, you also have a sat phone with you and you will prepare a helicopter service in case something serious happens, but the truth is, nothing scary ever happens when you stick to the standard rules.

I would try it once if I were you, please note, booking is a year in advance as there are only a few places in bush that you can reserve and it is very popular. A very helpful site to set up a trip like this by yourself is https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/forumdisplay.php/273-Overland