Binoculars for Safari

Jeamons

I will be a first timer on safari in South Africa. I have never owned binoculars and I have started to research what's available. I would be interested in the advice of our safari experts. I am considering 10x35, 10x50, 12x50 and 2 zoom models 7-15x35 and 10-22x50. All Nikon models and in my price range. I really don't have a clue what's best for game drives. Any advice???

I have tried a number of binoculars over my various African safaris and tend to like a 10 or 12 magnification, although 12x can get shaky depending on how steady your hands are and vehicle running, etc.  The 7x didn't seem to have enough reach for me.  I ended up settling on image stabilized Canon (I have both the 10x30 IS and the 12x36 IS) as I really liked the steady viewing but I am sure the Nikons are good also.  

Peter Connan

Of the listed choices, I would go with 10x50. In fact, you might be better served by something a bit smaller. Say 8x40. The big ones can be tough to hold steady, especially for longer periods.

I use 8x40 and have used 10x binoculars but prefer 8x

I have not used above 10x but I think you will need to be very steady to avoid the image shaking (The IS ones would deal with this but would be much more expensive )

Zoom binoculars will probably be hard to hold steady at magnification of x15 or x20, but you may be better at this than me :D

I have a solid pair of 10 x 42 Nikons that I've been happy with (performance and price). I was tempted but way too cheep to splurge for a pair of Swarovski. They have these for guests to use at a camp we stay at and frankly, my untrained/uneducated eyes could not really notice the difference.

Edited by PT123

I bought this Celestron Nature DX 8x32 a couple months ago to take on our safari in May. They were perfect for us. Easy-twist, adjustable eyecups. Very lightweight model. Wide field of view.

Edited by Ira King

offshorebirder

I recommend 10x42 - 8x is not quite enough in many situations.

I also recommend avoiding zoom binoculars - the quality is just not up to snuff compared to fixed.

I also strongly recommend roof prism bins versus porro prism bins.

If you are a spectacles wearer it is more essential to try before you buy as different manufacturers have different solutions for adjusting the eye pieces to accommodate the spectacle lenses.