Kgalgadi NP A puff adder crawled into our car....

JPS

On the way from Grootkolk to Nosob we were enjoying a nice puff adder on the road. We drove closer as he crawled into the grass, then he turned and crawled under our engine hood? Other tourists had seen this and drove their cars around ours to see where the snake was to confirm he was really under the hood. They called some friends who were not afraid to deal with puff adders as they played around with them from childhood. Jeff found the snake after some searching between the engine grill and radiator. When he tried to take it out with a tent pole, it went away and crawled into my bumper. After this, I kindly thanked Jeff and asked him to stop searching as it was getting too dangerous for him in my opinion.

We drove to Nosob to ask rangers to search for the snake, which they extensively did, but without any result. 4 days later and driven more than 800 Km, we found the snake in Vryburg at the hotel. The snake crawled out of the car in the direction of other tourists. Luckily, Charles had experience with catching snakes and he had no worries at all and cached the snake with a barbecue plier. It all ended up with a happy end and we released the snake away from people in a grass field. In the end, we met two new friends Charles and |Michelle who we will meet in September when we will travel back to South Africa.