Bushlore Toyota Hilux Camper 4x4 - HilCAM Bushlapa review.

JPS

Bushlore Toyota Hilux Camper 4x4 - HilCAM Bushlapa review.

https://youtu.be/JKJNcSHZ7Bk

Hereby my review for the other members who make use from rental cars for bush camping in Africa. This year I wanted to make use of the hilux bushlapa version.

Positive;

1. Excellent on tar road

2. Equipment well maintained

3. Extra storage on the roof for fuel tanks

4. Well maintained car & gear

5. Strong 4x4 capabilities

6. Reliable electrical power (strong batteries)

Negative

1. Sleeping comfort

2. Setting up gas stove.

I rented in October the land cruiser from Bushlore with the bushlapa lay out. Camping was extraordinary good with this camper.

Positive;

1. Large sleeping space

2. Large space for gear and clothes

3. Excellent (the best) off-road capabilities

4. Big windows for film and photo actions

5. Two fridges (one freezer and one fridge)

6. Camping gear lay out 7. Well maintained car & gear

Negative;

1. The lay-out had no dual seat, so bad for video/photo if your partner wants to jump to the back seat

2. Slow donkey on tar road

My previous rentals: Frequent (previous)user from the Avis safari rental companies: Ford Ranger bush camper ALU cab four persons:

Positive:

1. Excellent off-road

2. Automatic gear

3. Ground clearance

4. Excellent ALU cab design

Negative:

1. Poor maintenance on camping gear.

2. weak second batteries (poor maintenance)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zw-ydWnvDU

Land cruiser dual cab Avis safari rental

Positive;

1. Large sleeping space

2. Excellent (the best) off-road capabilities

3. Big windows for film and photo actions

Negative:

1. Slow donkey on tar road.

2. Fuel tank 80 liters only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erK2YzQDnxg

Just put deposit for September 2023 with Bushlore Bushlore Toyota Hilux Camper 4x4 automatic. How was the weather in October?

14 minutes ago, Wildship said:

Just put deposit for September 2023 with Bushlore Bushlore Toyota Hilux Camper 4x4 automatic. How was the weather in October?

Hot very hot but the game was amazing, where are you going?

Right now last two weeks of September 2023 but was thinking of pushing back to middle of October. Hope not to be there when raining because of the roads.

Africalover

Going in Oct. 3 weeks, Kalahari, Okavango.Rented a Crucamper/Bushcamper from Bushlore.

Do you make reservations for camps yourself, use Bushlore or footprints?

2 minutes ago, Wildship said:

Do you make reservations for camps yourself, use Bushlore or footprints?

No, I make use of NDM, but you can contact the operators by yourself.

20 hours ago, Africalover said:

Going in Oct. 3 weeks, Kalahari, Okavango.Rented a Crucamper/Bushcamper from Bushlore.

You are going to enjoy, which camps are you staying?

22 hours ago, Wildship said:

Right now last two weeks of September 2023 but was thinking of pushing back to middle of October. Hope not to be there when raining because of the roads.

Don't worry about the wet roads too much in September the roads are easy going, just lower your tire pressures and you are good to go. October is better for game viewing but hot....very hot

Africalover
35 minutes ago, JPS said:

You are going to enjoy, which camps are you staying?

I am sure we will, been there before.
Rooiputs, Polenswa, Mabuasehube campsite, Mpaya 1, 3. Bridge, Mogotho.

So you would pick Mogotho over Khwai North gate?

Africalover
2 hours ago, Wildship said:

Yes, love that place. Mbudi is also nice.

Alex The Lion
5 hours ago, Wildship said:

In my experience, Khwai is no longer what it was. The number of lodges that have sprung up, multiple mobiles and self drives make it very busy.

The prime game drive area is quite small, and on my last visit Sept ‘18, sightings were often a rugby scrum.

The high water levels along the river also reduces the areas you can escape to.

North gate gives you access to Dombo plus the East towards the Chobe cut line.

The good about Mogotho is night drives and going off road. I prefer less crowded which I think would be North Gate area. I would be able to go to Dombo coming from Xakanaxa.

On 6/7/2022 at 6:46 PM, Africalover said:

I am sure we will, been there before.
Rooiputs, Polenswa, Mabuasehube campsite, Mpaya 1, 3. Bridge, Mogotho.

You have got the premium spots arranged, well done and enjoy ;-)

9 hours ago, Alex The Lion said:

In my experience, Khwai is no longer what it was. The number of lodges that have sprung up, multiple mobiles and self drives make it very busy.

The prime game drive area is quite small, and on my last visit Sept ‘18, sightings were often a rugby scrum.

The high water levels along the river also reduces the areas you can escape to.

North gate gives you access to Dombo plus the East towards the Chobe cut line.

Mmmmm yes you are correct, more lodges, more barking dogs at night but still an amazing place..... I was there in October and had so much game and intensive sightings, so it is also a matter of luck. And yes less busy would have been better.

Africalover
38 minutes ago, JPS said:

Mmmmm yes you are correct, more lodges, more barking dogs at night but still an amazing place..... I was there in October and had so much game and intensive sightings, so it is also a matter of luck. And yes less busy would have been better.

Khwai has certainly changed, but it is still a fantastic place. No barking dogs in Mogotho! 

• 11 months later...

Hi, I noticed on my rental car that it is constantly monitored and alerts go to the owners

6 hours ago, geonica said:

Hi, I noticed on my rental car that it is constantly monitored and alerts go to the owners

That's right, most 4x4 rental companies have a tracker in the car.

• 1 month later...
soleillevan

Barking dogs...??! what the hell! Not a wild bush experience that...

Since my first visit in Botswana in 2004 (Chobe riverfront, Savuti) I have realised that Botswana is a popular destinatipon, especially with south africans that can be a verry noisy and   sometime arogent and even agressif kind of travellers as well a europeans, sometimes in verry large groups. I get a shock one evening when a spanish "expedition" invaded the campsite, more then twenty cars deploying themself in the neiboring site!

That s why I go mostly in the remote parts of Tanzania and Zambia these days...

Edited by soleillevan

On 6/29/2023 at 1:51 PM, soleillevan said:

Barking dogs...??! what the hell! Not a wild bush experience that...

Since my first visit in Botswana in 2004 (Chobe riverfront, Savuti) I have realised that Botswana is a popular destinatipon, especially with south africans that can be a verry noisy and   sometime arogent and even agressif kind of travellers as well a europeans, sometimes in verry large groups. I get a shock one evening when a spanish "expedition" invaded the campsite, more then twenty cars deploying themself in the neiboring site!

That s why I go mostly in the remote parts of Tanzania and Zambia these days...

I still go to Botswana regularly and yes sometimes you come across loud tourists who I think are quite excited by the excitement, or with large groups .... they are never quiet unfortunately. But luckily most of the time I can still find a peace which should always be.

No human sounds just the sound of the bush that is the ultimate enjoyment.

So for all the upcoming bush tourists reading this, be quiet and enjoy the bush, when you are quiet the shy animals will come to visit and you will enjoy more.