Arabuko Sokoke January 2022

Ldn2Africa

Ldn2Africa

Brief Overview

Technically a National Park, but lacking most iconic safari animals, apart from elephant and perhaps a few buffalo.

However, it is easily accessed, with the entrance(s) 10(+) minutes from Watamu town, so great for a day trip forest walking excursion.

Park is divided into several parts, some of which are best accessed with a car and also into areas with/without elephants.

Local Species

Shrews

Monkeys

Small Antelopes

Squirrels

Elephants

Owls

Forest cobras and other snakes are present, as are caracals, but rarely seen

Tips

Take a guide, go early (gets hot!), but then come back in the late afternoon (re-entry allowed on same ticket, unlike most NPs in Kenya). Bring water and binoculars, plus a torch for evening visits.

Concluding Remarks

A great, cost effective and non-sedentary off the beaten track walking safari, easily combined with beach or marine safari activities.

I struggled to get a photo of the famous shrews (move too fast!), but you will likely see them, along with the owls and others.

20220129_124202.jpg

20220129_124935.jpg

20220129_125451.jpg

20220129_134117.jpg

20220129_141121.jpg

20220129_182433.jpg

20220129_132900.jpg

20220129_141104.jpg

Atravelynn

What an eye-opening intro post!  Welcome to safaritalk.

Ldn2Africa

Thank you! I hope to submit more trip reports, mostly from Kenya, if i can find the photos (lost my phone in Serengeti as it happens :(), but i can happily share any tips if i see questions on pending trips there, especially for the greater Tsavo eco-system.

And contribute more broadly- its a great forum