Reclaiming Kenya

modleski

Then our young leopard sunning and grooming himself on the rocks, very relaxed.

A361E5CE-0AC1-4988-A6D4-2B129092C2D5.jpeg

DC94E382-A5F3-433E-B4DD-27A388A5A4B8.jpeg

4CB5DBE3-6C30-4D57-B4DE-F7D7C0D39F9B.jpeg

C5AF1947-CB71-4617-A116-C557DB144E2C.jpeg

Edited by modleski

My favorite sighting of all. In daylight! Then my camera ran out of memory, and I didn't know it. So I can't show the cheetah cubs, which I've been dying to see for years and the little baby giraffe trying to keep up with its indifferent mother. 

C52FB0AD-B119-437B-B06B-4CC9AAFBF374.jpeg

785AAFD3-6FDD-4313-A9FE-703E6029C354.jpeg

49BE21EA-88B5-4E9B-933D-4E28207B9AAA.jpeg

5D23C0CC-D831-42D3-8F84-0F587D1938D1_1_201_a.jpeg

Very nice @modleski.  Sometimes a kill or animals on the kill is hard to watch.  Not a sighting for everyone.  Love the leopard (so you did get a good leopard sighting after all - not that the other one was bad)!  Great serval too.  Too bad about the memory card running out; camera issues are the worst - so frustrating.

@MMMim   I know it's interesting what people can find difficult to watch. I prefer NOT to see a kill (unlike a couple of my companions who were eager for it), whereas the sight of animals eating dead meat doesn't bother me. After all, it's just tartare.

Thank you!

Atravelynn

Nice serval!  So sorry about the memory.  At least you got to see the cheetah cubs!

On 7/8/2022 at 3:24 PM, modleski said:

@MMMim   I know it's interesting what people can find difficult to watch. I prefer NOT to see a kill (unlike a couple of my companions who were eager for it), whereas the sight of animals eating dead meat doesn't bother me. After all, it's just tartare.

Thank you!

I end up feeling a little sorry for the animal that got caught.  I think it's easier to see it after it's already a carcass.  

@modleskiLoving ALL your photos.  You don't need expensive or the latest equipment, just good enough =)

Alexander33

Four male lions taking down an eland is not something you see everyday — nor is a serval. Great trip so far. I, too, love the Kicheche camps. 

Oh we saw those four brothers in Mara North as well, a week or so after you! They put on quite a show, romping together.

@TravelMore Thank you for your kind words. I'm so glad you loved the photos.:)

@janzin Yes! To me it was amazing to see four huge male lions together; they behaved rather well over the spoils, which, admittedly, were plentiful. 

@Alexander33 Seeing that serval, especially as it gradually emerged into the light of day, was a thrill. In the past, I'd only seen one under the red spotlight at night. The Kicheche camps were lovely--as I said I wound up favoring the Laikipia one slightly. I had been to Kicheche Bush in 2019 and loved it so, I decided to go to all Kicheche camps this time. But I was surprised and disappointed that Darren and Emma had moved on. I realized that their presence was what made that particular camp soar. This is no reflection on the current managers who were very kind and helpful and sociable (I would certainly go back), but I missed Darren and Emma's charismatic hosting, their witty repartee (and Darren's baking lol).

• 3 months later...

Just caught up with your TR. What great photos, just a treat! And I'm so glad you had a great time.

Like you, my last trip to the bush was under very similar circumstances. And, like you, I needed to reclaim it.

And I did - hurrah! Just writing up a few bits and pieces in Musekese/ Ntemwa: a September Saga, written by several ST'ers.