"Leopards of Rajasthan" ...... Independence Day weekend .....

madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Here's a quick thread to highlight my long holiday weekend in Rajasthan with @Gaurav_thewildside...... in Jawai and Jhalana.

What really impressed me was Gaurav's enthusiasm, passion and motivation ....... I know personally, it's not easy for us here in the South to move to a place like Jawai and try to learn a new language and live amongst the locals ....... I doff my hat!!! 

Whilst the monsoon isn't the best time to visit Jawai for wall to wall sightings ..... I still came home with a few quintessential images.

What stood out to me from my trip was how wildlife and mankind can survive with minimal (if any) conflict.  

Jhalana I was phenomenally impressed with ....... Right outside a major city like Jaipur stands the Jhalana leopard reserve and goes to show how tourism can support and help keep the wild spaces standing.  I so wish we had easy access to someplace like this here in Coimbatore.

2022rajasthan1.jpg.jpg

2022rajasthan2.jpg.jpg

2022rajasthan3.jpg.jpg

2022rajasthan4.jpg.jpg

2022rajasthan5.jpg.jpg

2022rajasthan6.jpg.jpg

2022rajasthan7.jpg.jpg

2022rajasthan8.jpg.jpg

2022rajasthan9.jpg.jpg

2022rajasthan10.jpg.jpg

2022rajasthan11.jpg.jpg

2022rajasthan12.jpg.jpg

2022rajasthan13.jpg.jpg

2022rajasthan1.jpg.jpg

2022rajasthan2.jpg.jpg

2022rajasthan3.jpg.jpg

2022rajasthan4.jpg.jpg

2022rajasthan5.jpg.jpg

2022rajasthan6.jpg.jpg

2022rajasthan7.jpg.jpg

2022rajasthan8.jpg.jpg

2022rajasthan9.jpg.jpg

2022rajasthan10.jpg.jpg

2022rajasthan11.jpg.jpg

2022rajasthan12.jpg.jpg

2022rajasthan13.jpg.jpg

Edited by madaboutcheetah

Stunning pictures. The almost “suburban” leopards of Rajasthan with absolutely no conflict with the local population never fails to impress. Thanks for sharing, Hari. 

madaboutcheetah
4 minutes ago, AKR1 said:

Stunning pictures. The almost “suburban” leopards of Rajasthan with absolutely no conflict with the local population never fails to impress. Thanks for sharing, Hari. 

@AKR1- Thank You!!  A lot of recent rains, so no luck with Striped Hyena ..... but, perhaps when things dry out.  It is so easy to access from Jaipur that I will have no excuse to miss out next season. 

I wonder how the  Leopards and Hyenas interact in this situation where they are the only Apex predators in the immediate vicinity. Unlike Lions- Hyenas who’s enmity is well known, Hyenas will try and get a Leopards kill but almost never succeed as the Leopard has the unique ability amongst big cats to drag kills up trees.  

Magnificent cats!  Thanks for sharing!!

madaboutcheetah

Not sure why the photos aren't visible now ?  Any idea - @moderators ??? Thnak you 

@madaboutcheetah

It seems you may not have dragged and dropped the images into the add image section at the bottom of your post and then incorporated them into the post from there?

Edited by wilddog

madaboutcheetah
23 minutes ago, wilddog said:

@madaboutcheetah

It seems you may not have dragged and dropped the images into the add image section at the bottom of your post and then incorporated them into the post from there?

@wilddog- I did … it worked yesterday…. Suddenly vanished today 

no idea then. when I go in to edit your post (for checking purposes only) there are no images in the bottom section which there should be..........

madaboutcheetah

Thanks … will post again when I get a chance 

madaboutcheetah

Think it works now??? 

@madaboutcheetah I can't see photos 1-13 but the others came out very well. is that a Nilgai? and did it just give birth to twins? if it is, fantastic to see a nilgai and see the births! 

madaboutcheetah

Thanks @Kitsafari- i just re-posted the photos ...... not sure what happened earlier.

Yes, a nilgai ...... Had just given birth to twins, but, an hour after this photograph we heard that a leopard took off with one of the calves .......... We weren't around to see it happen. 

Thanks for sharing @madaboutcheetah, stunning pictures as always. How many fans drives did you do? I have vague plans of visiting India in 2024, but my wife is insisting on more cultural activities than our last/first visit.  I'm thinking combining Jaipur and Jawai might make us both happy. 

Magnificent!!!!  Your photos are Amazing!   Great Trip!:wub:

madaboutcheetah
13 hours ago, Zubbie15 said:

Thanks for sharing @madaboutcheetah, stunning pictures as always. How many fans drives did you do? I have vague plans of visiting India in 2024, but my wife is insisting on more cultural activities than our last/first visit.  I'm thinking combining Jaipur and Jawai might make us both happy. 

Was in Jawai for 4 nights .... missed a couple of drives due to rain.  Monsoon isn’t the best time there ... Jawai is 3 hours from Jodhpur which culturally will be phenomenal with many stunning forts and the like ... 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @madaboutcheetah!!!!

We are thinking maybe going to India in early december as part as a 4 months travel throughout Asia. We are currently in Indonesia :)

I was thinking discovering Kaziranga, going back to Ranthambore, and have a short 1 day visit in Jhalana just before going to Sawai Madhopur.

Is Jhalana so nice as I am reading everywhere? In 2010 when I went to Ranthambore I had never heard anything about this forest just over the Pink City. 

Is it posible to sleep in Jaipur or should we lodge closeby Jhalana? How can we book safaris there?

Thank you very much!

madaboutcheetah

@jeremie-  Jhalana is literally 5 minutes from the airport in Jaipur.  Whilst it isn't a Ranthambore or Bandhavgarh, Jhalana is just a conservation marvel right outside a big city like Jaipur.  If you are in Jaipur or passing through as you would on your way to Ranthambore - you should see the park.  

We stayed at the Radisson Blu hotel which is about 10 minutes from the park or 5 minutes from the airport.  You can find a wide range of accomodation in the vicinity  to suit your preference.  

Safaris - I think you will be able to book with the operator/ agent you booked the rest of your india trip.  We used Wild side for Jawai/ Jhalana...