Chapter 4: The pride, and "the blood brothers"

John M.

A sore and sorry lion.   We saw a few lone nomads in Selinda pride territory, even when the pride's male coalition was at its height.  In 2002, we spotted this one which we assumed had come off second best in an encounter with other lions.

Hurtlion2.jpg.6ff0094accc3f42ea97c335c7d5ef536.jpg

Hurtlion606.jpg.5d1262ceb9e53a78e8e41a1ac8b9d92e.jpg

Hurtlion3.jpg.9d03ba6c4a2de0e1ba5aed57827afd25.jpg

On another occasion, we encountered a nomad which had just stolen a kill from the cheetah brothers. We sat in our vehicle listening to the lion eating in a dense patch of grass. We couldn't see it; but suddenly a walking group from one of the camps appeared in the distance, causing the lion to burst out of the grass and flee. 

• 2 months later...

@Bush dog Re a discussion we've been having in your Matusadona trip report, but to avoid going further off topic, I'll post a photo here to see if you recognise the subject.  It was taken from a video shot by Yvonne during our 2002 safari.

Mompati2002.jpg.3d33a4afb6f08eb44b18a18d3e9c500a.jpg

Edited by John M.

John, I do not recognise the subject?  By subject you mean the driver, I presume?  Is it Mompati?

26 minutes ago, Bush dog said:

John, I do not recognise the subject?  By subject you mean the driver, I presume?  Is it Mompati?

Yes, Mompati.  When he learned that we were at Selinda camp and were watching the wild dogs at their den, he drove from Zib to say hello to us. No doubt he remembered us from 2000 because we were such nuisances😁.

The camps were nearly empty in 2002 because of 9/11, so I guess he had no customers at Zib to guide and was able to find time for us.

• 1 month later...

STers have seen many memorable sunsets and sunrises in Africa. This sunset was viewed from our tent at Selinda Camp in 2002.  The camp had an uninterrupted view across the spillway and associated wetlands.

SelindasunsetY.jpg.20e43c5dd3913223a20479537c0600fe.jpg

Image scanned from a 6x4 print. I haven't yet found an original scan.

• 2 months later...
John M.

More on the unseasonable weather which surprised us in August, 2002... the hyena in the rain stealing Amber the leopard's kill in the early hours. 

Hyenasteal.jpg.d89981e8ae4906ed8a1a431f33887d0c.jpg

And one of the delightful pups playing and exploring at the wild dogs' den.

Wilddogpup2.jpg.0ec7edc7c56c744873a2581ef4390f30.jpg