Bombarded by beetles, mobbed by monkeys and the case of the secret squirrels- just another jolly time in the kruger November 2022

Towlersonsafari

Towlersonsafari

and a very well camoflaged cicada- which at first we just could not see

_B213404_DxO.jpg

_B213405_DxO.jpg

Towlersonsafari

finally from leshiba a new species for us- a tree hyrax, and some of the main characters

_B213559_DxO.jpg

_B213654_DxO.jpg

_B223673_DxO.jpg

Towlersonsafari

we had one more stop, before the trip was over

Towlersonsafari

Our last stop was a small nature reserve near Nelspruit/Mbombela.it was about a 6 hour drive from leshiba, but a scenic one, going over the Drakensberg mountains and along the panarama route.Set in the hills, it was a lovely place to walk and that si mostly what we did, going out ourselvs early in the morning, coming back in time for breakfast, then walking in the late afternoon.There were spome easy to follow trails, not very long, but well suited to what we like to do best, pootling about seeing what we could see-really what we often do at home.we think it would make a good place to chill after the overnight flight and before the kruger. it was called Tomjachu- we were trying to work out what it meant-in fact it was the name of the  British owners 3 sons jumbled together. Here is a link for those interested

https://tomjachu.co.za/

Towlersonsafari

The rest of the time we chilled, i managed to finish "Europes tragedy2 a detailed history of the 30 years war, whilst watching the local lizards, and both cape robin Chat's and mocking cliff chats who were our near constant companians at our cottage

_B253997_DxO.jpg

_B253987_DxO.jpg

Towlersonsafari

blue headed agama and  we think a rainbow skink

_B243841_DxO.jpg

_B243867_DxO.jpg

Towlersonsafari

there were game on the reserve and we had nice views of blesbok, and common duiker amongst others

_B243785_DxO.jpg

_B243898_DxO.jpg

Towlersonsafari

we also saw long cested eagle, african harrier hawk, purple turaco amongst others and Jane saw the back end of a rey/olive snake moving quickly into the undergrowth. We saw several butterflies and these 2 impressive insects- if anyone can help with identifaction that would be splendid

_B253928_DxO.jpg

_B253972_DxO.jpg

Towlersonsafari

and then it was all over. a quick stop at nelspruit/mombela to hand back the flask, cool box etc to lawsons and  then to the airport and the Out of africa gift shop!!!

thank you to all who have followed along, on what was another very enjoyable south african holiday

That was a very enjoyable read, you sound like you had a lovely time with some very nice sightings.

Very great to follow your adventures. Lots of wildlife and your photographs just keep getting better.

The best!!!

Towlersonsafari

Thank you very much @Zim Girl and @Matias Coxwe did have a great time.there is something  so wonderful driving or walking in Africa,  and you never kno what is going to catch your attention. I think we just had one day where it seemed like something approaching hard work!

Much enjoyed following your report. You certainly saw a great variety of wildlife whether driving, walking or pootling about.

Towlersonsafari

Thank you @Caracalwe do like a good pootle!

Don't know those final insects, but they are smart looking chaps!  I have just learned that you were pootling through Kruger, a new term for me.  I now say that I enjoyed pootling along with you.  What a fulfilling trip!

4 hours ago, Atravelynn said:

Don't know those final insects, but they are smart looking chaps!  I have just learned that you were pootling through Kruger, a new term for me.  I now say that I enjoyed pootling along with you.  What a fulfilling trip!

pootling was a new word for me too, had to google the meaning, and there - a new addition to my vocab.

Thank you @Towlersonsafarifor letting me pottle along with you  on a most enjoyable ride. i can't wait to get back as yours and other TRs are just whetting my appetite for the bush!

Towlersonsafari

thank you very much @Atravelynnand @Kitsafarithe beetle it turns out is a 2 spotted ground beetle- which seems a descriptive but pedestrian name. I always suspected that you were both pootlers- all the best people are!

Really interesting, thanks for posting. And, as far as I'm concerned, pootling is an essential part of life!

• 3 weeks later...

Great report @TowlersonsafariI very much enjoyed your photos and the humour as well!

You had a lot of great sightings!

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed, a very enjoyable report. Beautiful photos and very engaging writing. I'm really impressed with the diversity of sightings you had! 

Towlersonsafari

thank you @mopsy and @michael-ibkfor your kind words-it was such a relief to be make in Africa and we were lucky with the sightings

• 9 months later...
On 12/19/2022 at 1:35 PM, Towlersonsafari said:

we also saw long cested eagle, african harrier hawk, purple turaco amongst others and Jane saw the back end of a rey/olive snake moving quickly into the undergrowth. We saw several butterflies and these 2 impressive insects- if anyone can help with identifaction that would be splendid

_B253972_DxO.jpg

Thanks for another lovely report.

I think this one is Termophilum omoplatum, these carnivorous ground beetles mimic the "oog pister" or Anthia beetle.